Honored Contributor

Re: Layoffs have put a damper on shopping

@HB glamma wrote:
There are millions of people out of work due to CV/slowdown. And most weren’t making salaries anywhere close to these Q hosts.

Very true and yet one would hope we could all have compassion for both those we know and those we don't who have been displaced during this long and difficult period.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I live in an older neighborhood.    Most of the businesses are individual ownership.......many of which are permanently shuttered.     That is the REAL trajedy.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it s^cks  when people loose their jobs, but I just can't join in on all of the hand wringing and tears over hosts who make six figures (I'm guessing) losing their jobs.

I highly doubt that they are living paycheck to paycheck.

They'll be a lot better off, than those who are only getting unemployment.

Somehow I doubt that you'll see Anotinella (sorry for misspelling her name) and other hosts in the unemployment line.

They'll  be fine.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Not too worried about QVC hosts. My heart breaks for the millions who have lost their jobs and livlihoods due to shutdowns.

Esteemed Contributor

Not to hijack, but related retail news...

Macy's paid out some $9M in bonuses to their exec staff, oh, including the head of HR. After cutting thousands of jobs.

Story on CNBC if you care to read.

Valued Contributor

@stevieb Well, well, well....that IS interesting!
Frequent Contributor

Just grrrr, how selfish of Macy’s!
Respected Contributor

I'm not particularly worried about the four (actually seven this year) fired program hosts. I am concerned for the 450 laid off but I just don't know anything about them to do more than express regret.

What I do know, is QVC. This type of summary dismissal is not the QVC that we fell in love with having Joe Segel or Doug Briggs, or even Barry Diller as CEO. It was in 2008 that Dave King (it was somewhat mutual) and Bob Bowersox (not his decision) were let go abruptly by QVC under Mike George's leadership. Never has it happened that four QVC hosts were fired on the same day.

I understand hard decisions had to be made, but they set themselves up for this when they hired six hosts two years ago that they didn't end up needing, following a batch of five of whom only one remain. The way this was handled was so poor, instead of allowing them to have their final show spaced out every other week or so, QVC management have shown how careless and sloppy they are, exactly how they've treated their shipping, quality, and customer service issues (which have been going on for years before the pandemic). I think it would have been more in QVC's interest to let the hosts say a proper goodbye than let this negative attention haunt them because it has truly placed, as @Reever so well put, "a damper on shopping."

Honored Contributor

We don't know the circumstances of the layoffs and people loose their jobs all the time.  It could be that those or some of those who are gone made that decision for themselves under the circumstances.  Saying Antonella is sitting at home crying.   This is a business and hosts come and go just as salespeople in B & M stores do.  No change in my shopping because of it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

It could be that those or some of those who are gone made that decision for themselves under the circumstances.

They all came to that decision on the same day? The four hosts all said within the last week that they had more upcoming shows.

This was hastily executed by QVC's failing management. They didn't have time to inform the guests of the show cancellations: Wednesday afternoon on Facebook, Cameron Silver posted that he had an upcoming Halston show on QVC2 and I was the one that told him it was cancelled.