Valued Contributor

i think I've finally reached the point of no return.  First, the increase in prices on most everything. ( Like $50 tee shirts.). Second, the increased shipping charges.  (Up to $12 on shoes and handbags.). Third, the constant tinkering with the web site and community board.  It now, for me, has reached a point where it is an unpleasant experience to shop here.  It seems the Q (quality) has deteriorated, the V (value) is totally gone, and the C (convenience) has been minimized with slow shipping and a web site that has become less user friendly.  I may have to buy one or two items here that I can't find elsewhere, but that's it.  My sympathies to those who can't get out to b & m stores.  

Honored Contributor

Yes I have noticed the same things too and have opted for finding almost the same items online, elsewhere,  with free shipping/returns as well as no sales tax. Don't watch much anymore either. Been with the Q since Jan of 1986, not that warrents any special treatment. But then that is what we can expect these days. Everything retail is the same way. You just have to do your research and get as good a value as you can. I prefer to support my local businesses anyway. And if you have to go to  a few places, at least gas is a good deal!

Super Contributor

here's a question--when they post about a return that if it's LESS than lets say 5lbs. it costs this much-if it's over let's say 5 lbs it costs MORE (don't remember the exact costs)--do they charge u when you return a box that has a box inside??--do u know what I mean?--some things r heavier bc they have that article in a box & then they ship in another box--so how do they determine how much 2 charge 4 that return?

Respected Contributor

Have not quite gotten to that point yet myself... But, in general I do shop the Q less and less often it seems over the past few years.

Do not get me wrong - I feel like I have gotten many nice items - just seems to me the pricing is getting kinda ridiculous really for what you are getting sometimes. I know everywhere has gone up, and I do not have an issue with paying higher prices for a quality item, and I do not mean designer either - I definitely think anything labeled designer these days on the Q  is soo ridiculous. If you were really into designer clothes - you would not be shopping here to begin with - at least I wouldn't.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I'm the exact opposite as I reached the point of no return shopping at B & M stores many years ago!!  Shopping online here and other places is worth any higher costs - although when you factor in gas to get to B & M stores, your time and all the extras purchased going out to shop it's actually cheaper to buy here!!  I find shopping B & M stores to be an unpleasnat experience.  It's great that we all have options now that suit us!!  I actually save since the s& h changes since I  don't buy many clothing items and return nothing except for defective items

Honored Contributor

@danedylan wrote:

here's a question--when they post about a return that if it's LESS than lets say 5lbs. it costs this much-if it's over let's say 5 lbs it costs MORE (don't remember the exact costs)--do they charge u when you return a box that has a box inside??--do u know what I mean?--some things r heavier bc they have that article in a box & then they ship in another box--so how do they determine how much 2 charge 4 that return?

I'm no cheerleader, but I do sell on eBay and ship items every day and can tell you that even those big Dennis Basso Boxes with his coats in them would cost me on average (and with an eBay discount) around $20-$25 to ship and that's not Priority....

So IMHO their return shipping is usually less than what the average customer would pay to ship.  Also, QVC gives the customer the option of "paying up front"... taking the item in to the post office and paying to ship it however they want it to go.

A box within a box would add to the shipping because the post office determines cost by weight, size, girth, as well as destination so their return shipping labels are at a reduced fixed price for a lot of their returns.

I was at the post office the other day and a lady came in with two heavy boxes for her grandkids who were overseas with their parents.  The boxes were about 1 1/2 feet square and looked like they weighed a bit.  I overheard the clerk tell her that it would cost $30 and $35 to ship them to the East Coast where they would pick up their Military airplane for the APO.  She was floored as she just didn't ship often.  It wasn't even Priority... and there was no time frame as to when her grandkids would receive them... only about 5 days to reach the East Coast.  (Military flights overseas to deliver packages don't have any time frame)....  She walked out of there stunned.

I just returned a  Dennis Basso fur coat just a few days ago and it came with a label for $9.95 return shipping.  I know for a fact that I would have paid $20 -$25 for regular shipping (paying $2.35 per every $50 of it's value as well)....

All I can say is that each customer has to weigh their desire for the item against what it will cost to ship it back if it doesn't work out and determine if it's worth it! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

i think I've finally reached the point of no return.  First, the increase in prices on most everything. ( Like $50 tee shirts.). Second, the increased shipping charges.  (Up to $12 on shoes and handbags.). Third, the constant tinkering with the web site and community board.  It now, for me, has reached a point where it is an unpleasant experience to shop here.  It seems the Q (quality) has deteriorated, the V (value) is totally gone, and the C (convenience) has been minimized with slow shipping and a web site that has become less user friendly.  I may have to buy one or two items here that I can't find elsewhere, but that's it.  My sympathies to those who can't get out to b & m stores.  

So you stated your complaints and your disappointments and unpleasantries so much so that you won't be shopping QVC ... oh, wait, except they are there to fulfill your needs for one ot two items.  Hmmmm. 

Valued Contributor

That's right.  It's my opinion and I'm certainly entitled to it as you are to yours.   QVC is a retail website not a friend or relative.  I have no deep personal attachment like some people seem to.

Trusted Contributor

I would rather shop in B&M stores because I enjoy walking around and walking up and down in the malls!  Good exercise for me!!

But what is getting to me about them such as Macy's and JC Penney is they have maybe 2 checkout stands for each floor and we now stand in long lines for every purchase!!  I usually shop during the week in the middle of the day and still have to deal with lines!!

I really do not like shipping charges, however!!

Occasional Contributor

Also, so irritating that they eliminated 50% S&H in same order because they were rolling out the $3.00 flat shipping, then eliminated that and didn't reinstitute the 50% (some items are still $3.00 but most have gone up). And they also started deducting the full original S&H as well as the minimum $6.95 S&H for every return. So, if you return a purse, for example, you could easily pay nearly $18-20.00 all-in for S&H alone and you have nothing to show for it. Just another thing to keep in mind when ordering. I'm careful about purchases, but still have to return items if they don't look/function as expected. I only buy a few items from a 2-3 brands that still have better deals that I can purchase anywhere else.