Honored Contributor

Laser [Bliss] Lights and the FAA

Interesting story in the news about items like Bliss Lights.  The FAA has some serious concerns (they do not mention Bliss Lights by name, however....)

http://wjla.com/news/local/faa-says-laser-christmas-lights-pose-problem-to-aircrew-and-passengers

I can see the problem when people point them upwards towards tree tops, or rooftops, and then the lasers can potentially light up the sky and interfere with planes in flight. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Laser [Bliss] Lights and the FAA

Not only that but on our local news (Phoenix) they are a huge target for theft. Seems they are in short supply and people are finding them gone in a matter of a few days. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for mentioning this.  I saw the news item a day or two ago.  I think the bottom line was that such lights shouldn't be used near an airport - at all - and should never be directed anywhere other than a structure.  That is, it probably isn't a good idea to point them up into the canopy of a bare tree.

Honored Contributor

@meowing kitty wrote:

Not only that but on our local news (Phoenix) they are a huge target for theft. Seems they are in short supply and people are finding them gone in a matter of a few days. 

Just this morning, I read that one was stolen from in front of a unit in my condo association (in Pennsylvania).  However, it probably isn't the best idea to use one on condos, where the units are so close together.

Honored Contributor

I have the Bliss lights, I bought another brand from Evine this year and I was told yesterday that Walmart now has them.  I have also seen infomercials for them as well, different brands.

Esteemed Contributor

Neighbor down the street has her lights stolen the first night.....

Honored Contributor

I use mine indoors.    (I live between two recreational airports).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Sounds like Bliss Lights and the like are easily stolen, compared to lights strings that are physically hung on the house.  I'd never thought of this, but it's certainly a negative one has to weigh against the positive (i.e., the ease of installing).

Regular Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Interesting story in the news about items like Bliss Lights.  The FAA has some serious concerns (they do not mention Bliss Lights by name, however....)

http://wjla.com/news/local/faa-says-laser-christmas-lights-pose-problem-to-aircrew-and-passengers

I can see the problem when people point them upwards towards tree tops, or rooftops, and then the lasers can potentially light up the sky and interfere with planes in flight. 

I don't have these lights but thank you for the warning. 

Honored Contributor

I wondered about the possibility of theft when I first heard about these lights.   According to the FAA,  they are little lasers. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment