Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@MrSour 

Most of the local furniture and appliance stores here charge for delivery....usually around $50. If you need to return something they will charge you to pick it up plus charge you an additional restocking fee.

ETA-

Delivery fees have been going up b/c of the cost of fuel. Not many furniture/appliance places offer free delivery anymore unless you purchase 'white glove service' and then delivery might be included in that if you're lucky.

I personally only shop where there is no delivery charge. I recently bought a refrigerator for the daughter and when they wanted to charge a delivery fee I told them I would rather tip the delivery men and they agreed to that.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@MrSour wrote:

I could never understand the reasoning with buying an expensive, heavy product on TV as a TV, mattress, air conditioner, etc with the chance of having to return it if broken or just not liking it and incurring the inconvenience and expense of shipping charges. I saw the a/c yesterday as an example. That thing weighed 70 lbs. Please anybody have any thoughts I am missing on the why it is a good idea let me know.

@MrSour 

What difference does it make if you buy it from brick & mortar or from an online site when it comes to having return it? Either way you're going to have to repackage it and return it or pay someone else to do it for you.

@SilleeMee wrote:

@MrSour wrote:

I could never understand the reasoning with buying an expensive, heavy product on TV as a TV, mattress, air conditioner, etc with the chance of having to return it if broken or just not liking it and incurring the inconvenience and expense of shipping charges. I saw the a/c yesterday as an example. That thing weighed 70 lbs. Please anybody have any thoughts I am missing on the why it is a good idea let me know.

@MrSour 

What difference does it make if you buy it from brick & mortar or from an online site when it comes to having return it? Either way you're going to have to repackage it and return it or pay someone else to do it for you.

I bought a chair and ottoman in March. I had to return it because it wasn't holding up. I didn't lift a finger except to call the B&M store. They arranged to pick it up and did so within a week. It didn't cost me a penny.

Trusted Contributor

This may be a bit of a tangent from the topic at hand, but permit me to brag.

I bought a used LazyBoy recliner from an old lady where we used to live; it cost me a grand total of $35.

I love that chair.

LOL

So far it's been to two different towns and will probably be with me forever, or until it completely breaks down.

It's leather so I anticipate several more years out of it.

My Mother bought a brand new recliner and I think she actually prefers mine! 

Trusted Contributor

@BoopOMatic   That's an excellent bargain.  I love hearing stories like this.