Respected Contributor

This just gives more buying power to Liberty Media around the world.  

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

A bunch of words saying nothing

Exactly.

Honored Contributor

Not sure why yet another thread was needed on this topic but, don't get mad at posters.  There are plenty of news outlets indicating QVC bought HSN.

This morning I had on a news program and scrolling across the bottom of the screen was "QVC buys HSN for $2.1 billion."  

Regular Contributor

The article also says they will be going over hosts, management and administration and make cuts where necessary.  This is basically two companies going into one but leaving names the same.  There will be layoffs.  That is what happens when a merger takes place no matter what industry it is.

Regular Contributor

cuts are still going to happen.  Read article in a business journal.  They are not going to leave things the same.  Why do you think the CEO from HSN left and went to Weight Watchers.  She already knew what was going on

Regular Contributor

OK WE GET IT ALREADY!!

Honored Contributor

On another thread someone made the comment about how Andrew Lessman might not like coming back to QVC.  I don't see that happening.  I think QVC and HSN will have the same ownership (already had part ownership) and they will continue their separate "channels."    I don't think we will see much on air difference; maybe "behind the scenes" and management positions and style may change.

Honored Contributor

Since QVC is very cheap and tight never offering coupons or decent REAL discounts , I wonder if HSN will tighten the rein on offering coupons  and discounts etc?

HSN sends me coupons all the time..today they sent a 20% off an item coupon which I used happily!  I also was sent a 15% off coupon I have yet to use.  I always get treated special by HSN.   QVC is a tightwad

Valued Contributor

Got this from CNBC analyst. I'll just post a small excerpt which is not promising about either company as they have been losing money for the past five years as people shop online and not glued to the TV.

"First and foremost, each companies' growth market is millennials, and they don't sit idly by and watch TV waiting for something worth buying to appear. Britt Beemer, chairman and CEO of America's Research Group, commented, "how do you cut through the clutter now, when so many new websites are popping up ever day that appeal to those consumer's that are in their 20's? They don't have time to sit and watch TV that long."

"While older shoppers who are familiar with both brands still play a role in the company's revenue mix and are comfortable with the purchase process (and are more apt to steer clear of online shopping), that crowd is shrinking in size and spending interest. Younger shoppers who are entering their higher-earning and higher-consumption years are choosing pure-bred alternatives like Amazon...where there's a universe of selection to choose from.

..."Both companies were built from the ground up to cater to shoppers before Internet shopping was even a thing. HSN and QVC can tweak their platforms all they want, jointly and separately, but they're still both TV-shopping businesses that are trying to do other things as television itself becomes increasingly irrelevant. "

However you look at it, the merger is an attempt to save both companies. There is much info about this and why it was done. Doesn't look good for either company unless they can compete with online shopping.