Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kerstin is Leaving QVC for Three Months

[ Edited ]

@Suziqzee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

If a retired person or couple want make sacrifices and subject themselves to that kind of lifestyle, that's fine.  But there is no way I'd force my children to attend badly substandard schools and subject them to the disease and living conditions in a third world country.  They have no idea what they're getting into and no choice about going.

QVC must be very liberal in its leave policies.  If they hired her, you'd think they would need her to work.

Yes, especially in a dangerous country where they likely do not speak the language.  Sex trafficking is a real thing.

I wonder just how "liberal" QVC truly is. It seems quite competitive and Kerstin's shifts are, no doubt, popular ones. I sure wouldn't take a three month leave from my dream job unless I had no other choice. She'll be lucky if she gets to work the overnight shift when she returns, if she has a job, at all.

@Suziqzee 

Oh for everything that is holy. It's not as if she decided a week ago that she was going to do this and notified QVC. It's called a leave of absence. As long as her supervisors approve it, which obviously they have. It's a done deal. More then likely she will not be paid during this time period, although I am sure that all of the hosts have contracts so I am not sure how that was worked out.

Jennifer C. Will be taking over her scheduled shifts, and when she returns she get's her same shows back. She even mentioned this when she made the announcement this past Saturday with Alberti.

I applaud her. It's nothing that I have ever had a calling for, especially with children. Her husband works from home. I am not sure what he does, but perhaps he will still be working from Mexico or that he is also taking a leave of absence.

One of my co-workers did the same thing earlier in the year. Our director approved it and he was not paid for the time that he was on leave. 

Also, someone mentioned the need in the US. Since her children are adopted, perhaps she felt a calling to help out in these countries, as a missionary. 

Also, this is arranged through her church. They do not just drive down to the boarder to cross. This has been organized and they have probably received lessons on safety, food, and a host of other things. 

I do not know this but perhaps she plans on home schooling her children. 

I respect her for walking the walk.  Not many of us can or do. 

Respected Contributor

@icezeus , well said.

I like Kerstin and I think what she and her family are doing is admirable, kind and in the spirit of their faith.

My niece and her husband both did this many years ago (before having their children) and it was arranged with their church.  It was an experience they talk about to this day.  God Bless anyone that is able or willing to do this.

I pray that Kerstin and her family are kept safe and I, for one, will follow her on her FB page to check in and see how they are doing.  Let's all wish them prayers for safety and a faithful experience, please.

Respected Contributor

@Grace729 wrote:

God is her supply 

Mine is Safeway Smiley Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

She could do plenty of missionary work at our Southern border. Below freezing weather and immigrants were actually sleeping in the streets of El Paso. Much help is needed there with sick children, feeding, clothing and hygiene. I can't understand how this could be overlooked. 

Valued Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Suziqzee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

If a retired person or couple want make sacrifices and subject themselves to that kind of lifestyle, that's fine.  But there is no way I'd force my children to attend badly substandard schools and subject them to the disease and living conditions in a third world country.  They have no idea what they're getting into and no choice about going.

QVC must be very liberal in its leave policies.  If they hired her, you'd think they would need her to work.

Yes, especially in a dangerous country where they likely do not speak the language.  Sex trafficking is a real thing.

I wonder just how "liberal" QVC truly is. It seems quite competitive and Kerstin's shifts are, no doubt, popular ones. I sure wouldn't take a three month leave from my dream job unless I had no other choice. She'll be lucky if she gets to work the overnight shift when she returns, if she has a job, at all.

@Suziqzee 

Oh for everything that is holy. It's not as if she decided a week ago that she was going to do this and notified QVC. It's called a leave of absence. As long as her supervisors approve it, which obviously they have. It's a done deal. More then likely she will not be paid during this time period, although I am sure that all of the hosts have contracts so I am not sure how that was worked out.

Jennifer C. Will be taking over her scheduled shifts, and when she returns she get's her same shows back. She even mentioned this when she made the announcement this past Saturday with Alberti.

I applaud her. It's nothing that I have ever had a calling for, especially with children. Her husband works from home. I am not sure what he does, but perhaps he will still be working from Mexico or that he is also taking a leave of absence.

One of my co-workers did the same thing earlier in the year. Our director approved it and he was not paid for the time that he was on leave. 

Also, someone mentioned the need in the US. Since her children are adopted, perhaps she felt a calling to help out in these countries, as a missionary. 

Also, this is arranged through her church. They do not just drive down to the boarder to cross. This has been organized and they have probably received lessons on safety, food, and a host of other things. 

I do not know this but perhaps she plans on home schooling her children. 

I respect her for walking the walk.  Not many of us can or do. 

How do you know this is "arranged through her church?" She never said that. She only said that she'd had a relationship with this particular clinic, in the past.

I'm sure we would all love to leave our jobs for 3 months and know that we will still have a job when we return, but sadly, that is not always reality. Once we are gone, it might be noticed that things are better off without us.  I wouldn't take that chance, but good for her if she's willing.

Regular Contributor

Some of the comments in this thread are really out there.

There is 1 simple thing involved here - she and her family have made a choice and she is going to leave for a while.

How it is funded, how the location was picked, the children's schoolwork schedule, etc. is none of our business.  If it was, she probably would have given you all those details.

MYOB on this.  

Esteemed Contributor

I could not care less.  That's my two cents

Esteemed Contributor

@michmi wrote:

How it is funded, how the location was picked, the children's schoolwork schedule, etc. is none of our business.  If it was, she probably would have given you all those details.

MYOB on this.  

Well, she was the one who announced it.

What she is going to be doing isn't an everyday activity for most people -- it's only natural to wonder about things like that -- and I'm sure she realizes that, too.

Honored Contributor

Sad when someone wants to help others and gets trashed for it. 

Knowing none of the details these people come up with all kinds of crazy speculation. 

Trusted Contributor

@michmi wrote:

Some of the comments in this thread are really out there.

There is 1 simple thing involved here - she and her family have made a choice and she is going to leave for a while.

MYOB on this.  

This^^^ to the comment above this one as well. SMH on some of these comments.