Honored Contributor

Re: Kerstin L. Leaving For a While

@mrs Phillips wrote:

I had to look up her picture to know who she was.  I remember her only because on one

of her shows she wore a necklace which was completely inappropriate for those of us who wish to watch a shopping channel for the items on sale, not for a religious experience.  I am sure there are so many different, unique and interesting people watching QVC and everyone has their own beliefs and ideas about what is important to them in their live. All valid for them.  It's appropriate at home or at your place of worship.  Believe it or not, not everyone's beliefs are the same as yours.  And that's ok.

Apparently, it's not okay with you if you think the fact that Kerstin wore a cross necklace was inappropriate to wear on air.    

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Marp  it isn't the wearing of the religious symbols that bothers me, I wear a crucifix at all times myself. It's the infernal preaching and holier than thou attitudes of some of these hosts. I don't know how they can profess to be a Christian and use their faith to sell products that people don't really need, let alone dress and say some of the things they do. I wouldn't care if I ever saw Kristen again, I hope her book does so well she never comes back to the Q.

This last sentence is rather hypocrital to the rest of your post IMO. 

Trusted Contributor

@JanP60 wrote:

Yay!

Oh, EXACTLY what I am thinking!!!

Respected Contributor

Definately not a host I will miss. I turn the channel as soon as I see her!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kerstin has a right to wear a cross just as you have the right to not watch her or buy a religious piece.  Crosses are also fashion statements for some and there is not always religious meaning behind them.  I don't think that is the case for KL but it doesn't matter. No employer can tell Its employee not to wear a cross and it doesn't matter if it is an online retailer or not.  The ACLU would be on top of QVC day one!  We have religious freedom in this Country and that includes the right to wear an emblem of your faith.  A government venue can not display a cross but the employees of public institutions are permitted to wear emblems of faith.  Because you work for QVC, you don't give up personal freedoms.  Pope John Paul commented years ago that he didn't like the latest "fashion trend" among young Italian women and wearing crosses as a fashion statement.  I am not particularly "religious" but often wear crosses and the Star of David and many cultural icons of significance to me. 

Trusted Contributor

I really like her. I think she is enthusiastic and speaks from the heart. I appreciate enthusiasm, and generally assume sincerity unless I have reason to think otherwise. Kerstin has always struck me as sincere. Plus, she has been through tough times and embraced life. I hope her book tour, or whatever she is doing, is successful.

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

Kerstin has a right to wear a cross just as you have the right to not watch her or buy a religious piece.  Crosses are also fashion statements for some and there is not always religious meaning behind them.  I don't think that is the case for KL but it doesn't matter. No employer can tell Its employee not to wear a cross and it doesn't matter if it is an online retailer or not.  The ACLU would be on top of QVC day one!  We have religious freedom in this Country and that includes the right to wear an emblem of your faith.  A government venue can not display a cross but the employees of public institutions are permitted to wear emblems of faith.  Because you work for QVC, you don't give up personal freedoms.  Pope John Paul commented years ago that he didn't like the latest "fashion trend" among young Italian women and wearing crosses as a fashion statement.  I am not particularly "religious" but often wear crosses and the Star of David and many cultural icons of significance to me. 

QVC is  a private corporation. It can tell employees not to wear crosses.  That is not impinging on its employees' religious freedoms; it is not state action.  

@I think you are wrong on this one @Stray, no matter what human resources experience you have had.   

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Stray wrote:

QVC is  a private corporation. It can tell employees not to wear crosses.  That is not impinging on its employees' religious freedoms; it is not state action.  

@I think you are wrong on this one @Stray, no matter what human resources experience you have had.   

@Pearlee, I think that your contention is not on sure legal footing. If anything, I think that a corporation would have to have a good reason (e.g., safety) in order to tell an employee that he or she cannot wear an article of faith.

That said, I'll make one note here that I'm sure will not go over well with some: If I were a host and wanted to wear a religious piece of jewelry, I would opt for something that was on the smaller, more delicate side than some of the very large cross necklaces that I recall seeing quite often on a couple hosts a few months ago. I mean, very large.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think I've ever seen her in my life. 

All this talk about this unknown show host is making me stabby Woman Tongue

Fun word lol

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
QVC Customer Care

As this thread has gone completely off topic, it is closed for commenting...