Regular Contributor

Re: Kerstin L. Leaving For a While

The news of Kerstin leaving for a few weeks doesn't interest me at all. I won't miss her.The post asking if it is proper if host wear religious jewelry on air why not. That should not be an  issue. That is their personal choice. That is like telling the  host they cannot wear anything but clothes they sell on qvc. rediculous

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@mrs Phillips wrote:

I had to look up her picture to know who she was.  I remember her only because on one

of her shows she wore a necklace which was completely inappropriate for those of us who wish to watch a shopping channel for the items on sale, not for a religious experience.  I am sure there are so many different, unique and interesting people watching QVC and everyone has their own beliefs and ideas about what is important to them in their live. All valid for them.  It's appropriate at home or at your place of worship.  Believe it or not, not everyone's beliefs are the same as yours.  And that's ok.

I don't understand.  To clarify, do you think it is inappropriate for a host to wear religious jewelry on QVC.  For instance a cross or Star of David?

I think if you are a big company working to sell millions of dollars in goods to millions of viewers of, one assumed, many differing faiths and spiritual beliefs, you would ask your salespeople on tv not to wear religious items on air. Religion is a personal matter, and QVC has a broad and varied audience. 

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@mrs Phillips wrote:

I had to look up her picture to know who she was.  I remember her only because on one

of her shows she wore a necklace which was completely inappropriate for those of us who wish to watch a shopping channel for the items on sale, not for a religious experience.  I am sure there are so many different, unique and interesting people watching QVC and everyone has their own beliefs and ideas about what is important to them in their live. All valid for them.  It's appropriate at home or at your place of worship.  Believe it or not, not everyone's beliefs are the same as yours.  And that's ok.

I don't understand.  To clarify, do you think it is inappropriate for a host to wear religious jewelry on QVC.  For instance a cross or Star of David?

I think if you are a big company working to sell millions of dollars in goods to millions of viewers of, one assumed, many differing faiths and spiritual beliefs, you would ask your salespeople on tv not to wear religious items on air. Religion is a personal matter, and QVC has a broad and varied audience. 

With that line of thinking Q or any "big company working to sell millions of dollars in goods to millions" should also remove crosses, crucifixes, stars of David, angels, Bibles, medals, items that contain a prayer, rosaries, dreidels, menorahs, mezuzahs, wall hangings, Christmas items, Halloween items or a myriad of other items that can have a religious connotation from their inventory.

What about salespeople that dress according to their religion?  Would a woman wearing a hijab or a man wearing a yarmulke also be forbidden?  Do the same rules apply to every business or just Q?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

She did say she is healthy and not to worry that it was a health issue.  She also said she was so excited she might cry.  My first thought was adopting a child?  I didn't know she has written a book.  Whatever it is, hope she enjoys her time off and will see her in September. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@mrs Phillips wrote:

This is just more PC nonsense.

Frequent Contributor

Yay!

Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

This makes me stabby.  Just make the announcement and move on already;  you aren't the Queen of England.  Such drama!

(Not against KL, it probably was Q's idea.)

Stabby?  What is that?

@sparklestar

i had not heard the word "stabby" before either.....

The feeling one has when one is in a particularly bad mood about wither nothing or something. It doesn't matter. You are feeling borderline homicidal. Ideas of stabbing things to relieve the seething anger come to mind.. Then you get distrated or blog about it and it goes away.

I was cut off many times today on my way to work, then I spilled coffee on my white shirt. It would be a bad idea to piss me off today because I am feeling stabby right now.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@mrs Phillips wrote:

With that line of thinking Q or any "big company working to sell millions of dollars in goods to millions" should also remove crosses, crucifixes, stars of David, angels, Bibles, medals, items that contain a prayer, rosaries, dreidels, menorahs, mezuzahs, wall hangings, Christmas items, Halloween items or a myriad of other items that can have a religious connotation from their inventory.

What about salespeople that dress according to their religion?  Would a woman wearing a hijab or a man wearing a yarmulke also be forbidden?  Do the same rules apply to every business or just Q?

@Marp  I don't think that's the same "line of thinking" as @libbyannE 's thinking at all.  A salesperson has to appearl and address all people; people in the audience can pick and choose what they want to buy.   Wearing a religious symbol is advocating or promoting that one particular religion which, as LibbyAnneE points out, is not appropriate.   The salesperson needs to appeal to everyone and pitch the products neutrally.   Why do we need to know her religion?  That should be kept private, same as political preferences.  Not advertised for all to see.  Would you like to see a person wearing a candidate's button to promote the candidate?  I wouldn't, nor do I want to see her wearing religious symbols.   If she wants to wear a pendant on a necklace for her own personal faith, then keep it tucked in her clothing and out of sight of the public.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The last time I looked, this is a free country.  I think djp's comment is completely inappropriate. I don't understand this hyper-sensitivity to what hosts wear or do not wear.  Whose business is it anyway?  If I saw a host wearing a religious symbol that wasn't mine, who am I to object?  It's none of my business.  When I got tired of seeing the My Saint My Hero presentations, I stopped watching it.  I had no objection to it; the bracelets are well-made, lovely pieces with lovely sentiments (my sister bought three), but the never-ending TSV presentations were a bit much.  Please, if you don't like any religious jewelry, religiously-related products being sold, or any religious or spiritual expression by any hosts, just remember this is a free country, and you are also free to watch and shop a different shopping channel...on which, by the way, you may see the same/similar items being worn or sold anyway.