Honored Contributor

It does seem that the powers that be do get their demographics wrong in who they are trying to get to watch and buy.

From the way most of the hosts have acted these past years, it seems they are marketing to hopefully younger, career oriented, hip young 30 somethings or whatever.

The problem is, I don't think that is their demographic and even if it was, no one in that group that I know of would be even remotely drawn to the way QVC represents itself.

So they mostly lose their true demographic and also the tried and true loyalists though there are probably many who are still comfortable shopping with QVC, just maybe don't watch as much.

Once you are comfortable with a retailer, it is hard to switch to others or you just keep hoping that they will live up to what they used to be.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I have mixed reactions to Katrina!  I really like that she describes the items and gives ideas for use and wear.  I really like that she is calm, not too silly and giggly.  
    But I don't like that she is constantly telling us about her fashion, editorial background.  I think it is excessive and somewhat boastful.  It is getting repetitious much like Jane T's daughter stories.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt    You hit the nail on the head with this. 

It's like she has her own plan and is mostly focused on making her job fun with minimal research and effort on her part, while QVC's plans are to sell products...

Qurate management needs to wake up and smell the flowers.  They're far from fragrant right now.  Many serious problems. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@corita   the Q management asks her to mention her fashion background as that adds to her credibility.  I do not find Katrina to be a boastful type of person at all.

Esteemed Contributor

I like when Isaac is paired with either Jayne B. or Pat.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt    I bet they have regular meeting, the subject being "what to do with Shawn".  They've paired her with everyone but the night watchman and have tried every gimmick in the book.  Nothing has worked.  She just doesn't seem to fit with what they want to achieve.  There is such a thing as being too quirky. 

Are you serious? You think QVC has her on multiple times a week in prime time because 'nothing has worked'? You don't get it. You and others may not like her but she is not on a heaving hosting schedule because she 'doesn't work.' She moves a LOT of product. Duh!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Katrina and Isaac M

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

It does seem that the powers that be do get their demographics wrong in who they are trying to get to watch and buy.

From the way most of the hosts have acted these past years, it seems they are marketing to hopefully younger, career oriented, hip young 30 somethings or whatever.

The problem is, I don't think that is their demographic and even if it was, no one in that group that I know of would be even remotely drawn to the way QVC represents itself.

So they mostly lose their true demographic and also the tried and true loyalists though there are probably many who are still comfortable shopping with QVC, just maybe don't watch as much.

Once you are comfortable with a retailer, it is hard to switch to others or you just keep hoping that they will live up to what they used to be.

Q does NOT target a younger demo. I'm older and wouldn't ever wear Ortho shoes or the regular dreary shoes they feature constantly. Ditto Quacker, Kim G.,Women with Control and most other Q apparel. Their target demo is older women who want to cover up. Tunics galore and many cheap fabrics that when a host holds up, you can see through the fabric! Nope- not for a younger demo and not for me. A few Isaac items for me and Logo. That's it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

@corita   the Q management asks her to mention her fashion background as that adds to her credibility.  I do not find Katrina to be a boastful type of person at all.

-------------

I do like her presentations! I am sure that is why she mentions it so often.  And don't think she is egocentric. But I find the background info repetitive, sometimes mentioned several times in one hour!   

Honored Contributor

Re: Katrina and Isaac M

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

Q does NOT target a younger demo. I'm older and wouldn't ever wear Ortho shoes or the regular dreary shoes they feature constantly. Ditto Quacker, Kim G.,Women with Control and most other Q apparel. Their target demo is older women who want to cover up. Tunics galore and many cheap fabrics that when a host holds up, you can see through the fabric! Nope- not for a younger demo and not for me. A few Isaac items for me and Logo. That's it.  

@ellaphant 

Yes, they have to sell items that appeal to their customers making purchases, but at the same time they are branching out with new lines---Check out "Baby Delight" and "My Baby Sam" on QVC's website.....And have you checked out KIDS CORNER on the website which includes young fashion for young girls and boys ........And just for the record, I dont think this plan will work and think its a pipe dream thinking the young demographic will be lured into shopping with QVC....they need to accept their niche market

Here's interview with Q's CEO, Mike George in Yahoo Finance..... (cant post link due to ads prohibited by QVC's Forum Guidelines) 

Who's shopping QVC these days?

"I'm hesitant to put a label on her, because she's very diverse. Our customer is a 35- to 65-year-old woman with a somewhat above-average income, The sweet spot of the household income level for QVC goes from $50,000 to $250,000. What's interesting about QVC is at any given hour, the demographic of who is watching dramatically changes. Some fashion lines are going to appeal to a customer who is newer to QVC and might be younger. "

And the whole purpose of QVC's parent company, Liberty Interactive, purchasing Zulilly under the Qurate umbrellas was to broaden their base---since Zulilly offers kids clothes and toys, they are hoping it lures in the "young busy moms"..the two websites are even connected you can even reach Zulilly by clicking their name at the bottom of QVC's website...and the same with Zulilly's website....

And here's from Businesswire regarding acquisition of Zulilly..

QURATE ACQUIRES ZULILLY FOR 2.5 BILLION:

" Zulilly has a firm fix on the demographics of its target customer: mothers with young children. This means women in the roughly 20-40 age demographic. Adding Zulily to the QVC Qurate Group allows QVC to reach an audience of young mothers who love to shopZulily caught the attention of then Liberty Media, owner of QVC and now Qurate Retail Group, which acquired it for $2.4 billion in 2015.  The  transaction brought together two highly complementary businesses under common ownership to further strengthen QVC’s leadership position in experiential, discovery driven shopping. The collaboration creates numerous exciting opportunities. Similarly, Zulily’s younger customer demographic, personalization expertise and eCommerce capabilities boost QVC."

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”