Honored Contributor

Katie McGee UPDATE

[ Edited ]

There was a thread asking if Katie McGee is still with It Cosmetics since she has not been on air with them recently.

Katie posted on her social media pages.  It's long, but she mentioned she hopes to help others by posting her information.

For those who are interested in Katie's statement, and do not have FB or Instagram accounts:

"I have breast cancer.
It’s still so odd to put that in writing or say it out loud.
After a summer of MRIs, ultrasounds, biopsies, and a lumpectomy, I was told on Monday, July 31st that I have DCIS, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ. While I’m grateful is was caught at Stage 0… due to a genetic predispostion (the PALB2 gene mutation runs in our family and I’ve got it) and a family history of breast cancer, I will be getting a double mastectomy with reconstruction this Friday, 9/15.

The last few months have been an emotional roller coaster to say the least! At first I didn’t want to share anything publicly, but then I spoke to my friend Ivy. After telling her how passionate I am about genetic testing and preventive testing… she suggested I share my story.

As part of the testing protocol with PALB2, it’s recommended that you get a mammogram and an MRI each year, six months apart. My mammogram last November was clean, but my MRI at the end of May showed three questionable spots. Next came an ultrasound of the areas, followed by three biopsies. On July 5th, I got the call that one of the spots on the left showed as atypical hyperplasia, a pre-cancerous growth. The following week it was removed via a lumpectomy. When I had my post-op appointment on 7/31 I found out it was actually DCIS.

I have felt a little like I’m in mourning for my breasts, which is odd because I was never really overly attached to them. They were always just… there. But now as I prepare to say goodbye to the girls… I can’t help but bring the Marie Kondo method into this: they once brought me joy, they don’t any longer, so now it’s time to get rid of them. Thank you.

I can’t stress this enough… please talk to your doctors. Are there certain diseases that run in your family? Find out if there is genetic testing or any preventative testing that can be done. It can help save your life or the life of someone you love. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Be your own best advocate. I truly believe this saved my life.
This is the second cancer I’ve been diagnosed with. I had Stage 0 Melanoma in 2014. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t freaked out about all of this. My head and heart have occasionally dipped their feet in some dark places these last few weeks, but when that happens, I focus on gratitude. I’m grateful my aunt is healthy and cancer free after battling breast cancer several years ago. I’m grateful she had genetic testing done to discover PALB2 runs in our family. I’m grateful to the doctors and scientists who found this mutation. I’m grateful I knew I had it, so I could see the right doctors and get the preventive tests that DID THEIR THING and found it early.

Please do the same for yourself. No one knows your body better than you do. If something feels off… get it checked.
I’m a lucky girl to be surrounded with so much love and support… and that includes YOU! If you or someone you love has been through this I would love to talk to you. Hear your story. You can always send me a private message.
Now it’s time to take a deep breath in, a long exhale, and hand it over to my amazing medical team. And I do it all with gratitude."

I'm wishing this kind, lovely woman all the best and a speedy recovery. 

Honored Contributor

I wish Katie a speedy recovery and have her in my prayers.  I have always liked Katie and was so sad when she left.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper   thanks for posting this..   I wish her a full recovery

I had the same diagnosis in 2014 but no predisposition, and because how very micro it was, my breast cancer doc only did a lumpectomy.  Mine  was also found through several ultrasounds after a mammogram and then a biopsy.   I had no treatment afterwards.    Poor Katie.   

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat  So very encouraging; so glad your similar ordeal brought you through and recovered succcessfully!  Thank you for sharing that Heart

Contributor

I wish Katie a speedy recovery.

Honored Contributor

Wish you a Speedy Recovery , Get Well Soon, Beautiful Flowers Pictures, Wishes

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper    I consider myself very fortunate but with this dreaded insidious disease one never knows.   Screening is crucial.

Honored Contributor

I wish Katie the best on her journey to beat this disease.  It sounds as though she's going to be just fine, having caught it early.  I'm glad she decided to talk about herself and genetic testing as it may help someone else.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper @Thank you for sharing! I will certainly pray for her and send healing thoughts!

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like she will be just fine since they caught it early.  I really admire anyone who shares such personal info with the world.  It that were me, I would only tell my husband, my kids, and my sister (because she lives close.)  I don't think I would share it with my brother or any other relatives, friends, or neighbors.  But that is just me.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead