Esteemed Contributor

I remember not too long ago when a host called Candace Cameron Bure, Cameron. Candace corrected her. I believe it was the second time she did it.

Here, posters were outraged that Candance dared to correct a host like that. She was a snooty, rich so and so from CA and should never have embarrassed the host like that.

Now, if Candace had not corrected her, the host would have spent the hour or two, calling her Cameron. 

A mispronounced name is not as fatal; however, it's necessary to correct a name so as not to have the host embarrass herself by repeating for an hour or so.

Valued Contributor

Re: Kathy Levine and Monifa

[ Edited ]

@baglady9 

English?

The host already speaks English.

Respected Contributor

@

@Oznell wrote:

Just to throw yet another documented pronunciation into the mix.  It always surprised me, but was indeed true, that the late, famous music conductor James Levine, pronounced it a third way--  Levyne, with the long "i" sound.

Thus, so far, three pronunciations of Levine.  Le-VEEN is by far the most common, I believe, then Kathy's Le-VIN,  and I wonder if James Levine was standing all by himself with his name pronounced Le-VYNE...

@Oznell   I once lived next door to a couple who name was spelled Levine. They too pronounced it with a long "i" like a flower vine. In fact until I started watching Kathy many years ago and heard her pronounce it "Levin" I had never heard this pronunciation. I'm from the south. Maybe it is regional. 

Respected Contributor

I always enjoy Kathy Levine.  She is a spectacular host.  She explains things beauitfully in a classy manner.  She also has a sixth sense as to what to discuss about her jewelry items.  I can understand why she was such a big hit with QVC customers.

Trusted Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

@IamDoodles wrote:

Kathy Levine is an iconic and legendary QVC host.  Any current host who cannot pronounce Kathy's last name correctly is asleep at the wheel and needs to start paying attention.

Monifa  wasn't watching Q during Kathy's time. Everyone makes a mistake. This is so overblown... as usual by those who knit pick everything a host says or does.

So, Monifa has been a host for several years now and you are telling me that never once has she heard Kathy Levine's name pronounced correctly.  I think not.  

Super Contributor

To me, it shows a lack of professionalism when a host does this.  A while back, a host did this with the Linea line.  The designer corrected her twice.  If you're going to host any show, please get the pronounciation if their name right.  Other hosts have often mixed up the colours and we have an awkward silence while they ask for help.  It's called preparation folks!  

Super Contributor

Kathy is very gracious, but it's only polite to find out the correct pronounciation of someone's name before working with them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree, @CABRIT , it's imperative to get the name of the guest right and get the name of the product right. If you haven't bothered with that, you don't care much about your job. 

Valued Contributor

pdlina-"that's the beauty of it." You can start using annoying phrases at will =O)

"I never changed, I just learned."
Valued Contributor

MarnieRez3 wrote: "@chrystaltree
Wow, as usual, everytime I come back to post here, I remember why I don't. Thanks for reminding me."

Agree 100%.

"I never changed, I just learned."