Honored Contributor

Re: Just wondering about something Antoinella said during the midnight TSV presentation

The Super Bowl and Super Sunday are copyrighted by the NFL.  Budweiser spent over a billion (with a B) dollars to be the official beer sponsor, over Miller Light. All companies who spend that kind of money want to be protected too. You & I can mention it all day long, but a business or any organization cannot even come close to appear to be trying to benefit from saying or printing it. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Just wondering about something Antoinella said during the midnight TSV presentation

@wvumountiefan wrote:

This is also the reason the hosts have to say"hook and loop closure" instead of saying Velcro.  I don't see how the can trademark everyday words like the big game?? I get the term"Super Bowl" but geesh enough is enough!! 

Actually, it is not the case of trademarking "evertdat wirds."  It is just the opposite.

Velcro is a brand name.  It is trademarked.  Velcro does not want it used generically any more than the makers of Jello want their name used as a generic reference to gelatin.  If the word becomes a generic, the companies risk losing their trademark.  It happened with aspirin (once a brand name).

Valued Contributor

I think they should start calling it "that little end-of-season football game."  Try trademarking that!

Trusted Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

This is also the reason the hosts have to say"hook and loop closure" instead of saying Velcro.  I don't see how the can trademark everyday words like the big game?? I get the term"Super Bowl" but geesh enough is enough!! 

It is possible in the situation you are talking about that it isn't Velcro that is being used.  Instead it may be a knockoff and, even though it seems silly it could create legal issues if someone calls it Velcro when it isn't . Again I know it seems silly, but if it isn't actual Velcro, the company that makes that stuff would not want to be associated with what they consider an inferior product.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for exploining! I think it's ridiculous, but thanks! @Caaareful Shopper - you mentioned Budweiser. That may be why Peyton Manning said in two interviews he was going to drink a couple of Buds tonight! I guess I don't pay much attention to copyrights, but I never noticed "Super Bowl" before. What about all of the local ads that advertise Super Bowl Sunday specials? Maybe the NFL is OK with that? 

I grew up calling facial tissue "Kleenex." I still do, so do DH and my kids. No matter what the brand, it will always be Kleenex to me! Smiley Wink