Frequent Contributor

So we have a house in back of us that is being occupied by 4 adults who do not own it - decided to come out to the island to escape the city.  They just posted a sign on their front door that they have comfirmed case or cases of COVID-19 and not to knock.  Now one of them is out on the deck coughing up a storm and smoking.  I don't know how far the virus can spread but I'm keeping my windows closed!  I guess you can't fix stupid.

Honored Contributor

@OutofMadisonAren't you several multiples of 6 feet away from them? 

Distance can't protect you from the fear of contamination, but I think going to the supermarket or a pharmacy might actually be more dangerous than that neighbor.  (Please note -  that's an I think,, not an I know)

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, 6 ft away is the CDC 'social  distancing'  guideline. Inside AND outside! 

Esteemed Contributor

There's a reason why they say to stay six feet away from each other.

That's feet.

Not 60.

Not 600.

The virus can only travel so far.

Think about this.

If It could travel 600 feet, then that would mean that you were exposed to it, long before he started coughing, and I bet that you were outside, and had windows open too, right?

Yet, did you get sick?

No, you didn't.

So, you have more than enough distance between you and your neighbor, and you can keep your windows open.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I can understand the OP concern, even though there's probably the 6 ft distance.  The reason I'm saying this is because last week when I made a two week Costco run,  while lined up outside waiting for the store to open and having the required distance between people and their carts, the store employee came out to wipe the handles of the carts down.  I was number 7 in line waiting...given the distance between the employee who was at the very beginning of the line and had the container of Lysol wipes, I could smell the Lysol wipes in the air traveling past me and I was at least 50 feet away from him.  There was a light breeze that morning, so if I could smell the scent of the wipes at that distance away, who's to say someone coughing next door on their deck with a breeze blowing, it couldn't blow right to you and you inhale it. 

After I got home that day, I thought about it and it made me realize that something like that could actually happen with the virus as well.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

I think you are getting yourself worked up over nothing.  Unless this neighbor is coughing into your window and is less than 6 feet away you have nothing to worry about.  Fresh air is healthy! 

Honored Contributor

Research has shown that the coronavirus can travel up to 27 feet in a sneeze or cough......

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-l...

Yeah, I'm blown away too.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Even coming to your area to escape bothers me a bit. They strike me as rather inconsiderate.

Trusted Contributor

@OutofMadison wrote:

So we have a house in back of us that is being occupied by 4 adults who do not own it - decided to come out to the island to escape the city.  They just posted a sign on their front door that they have comfirmed case or cases of COVID-19 and not to knock.  Now one of them is out on the deck coughing up a storm and smoking.  I don't know how far the virus can spread but I'm keeping my windows closed!  I guess you can't fix stupid.

Gosh, be careful if you go into your backyard.  I think it can live in the air for a while.  And coughing and sneezing sends droplets farther than 6 feet.  I think 6 feet is for regular breathing.  The good thing is that they did put up a sign.  

Respected Contributor

I can smell pot or cigarette smoke from a lot farther away then 6 feet, so you never know what could be hanging in the air and traveling along with the breeze 

......You look like I need a drink.....