Honored Contributor

Re: Jill's Last Show

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva  The talk about Jill's beach properties got me curious... I do recall her condo and if her current beach house is the one she has featured a few times on Instagram, I would't personally describe it as 'phenomenal'... Of course, for most of us ANY beach house would be phenomenal, but being objective, it seems nice enough, but hardly any sort of manse. Moreover, it appears as though it sits bayside rather than on the ocean... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those either seriously concerned about Jill's loss of income or for those who merely just like to speculate... After 25 years at QVC I would imagine Jill has socked away a pretty penny, as I would surmise, has her husband... On top of whatever they earned, they've probably also invested... Somehow, I don't think Jill is going to have to go without her Bobbi Brown cosmetics or John Hardy jewelry and I sincerely doubt her kids will be seeking scholarships to the local community college... Admittedly, there is a disconnect between her saying not so long ago that she didn't intend to leave and her more recent announcement, but I don't see her leaving as presenting any huge hardship for her family... Several hosts who have left have intimated that QVC has become a relatively unpleasant work environment... Maybe that's true... Maybe she'd had her fill and maybe it was a mutual choice... Curious though some of us might be, odds are, we'll never know...

Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb.  I guess I’m not up on my zip codes. The only fancy one I know is 90210. Clear across the country. Lol!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Reminiscing...

I started watching QVC just shortly before Antonella started as a host, 15 years ago. 

Antonella was in her first week.  She was awful and wonderful at the same time.  It was a silver jewelry show.  She stumbled over every item presentation because she was so enamored of the jewelry; I thought she was going to have a heart attack.  I hadn't seen anything like it before; I instantly adored her!  She kept laughing and saying she was going to be fired because she refused to take the jewelry off after it sold out.  She said something like, "I just cannot help it!"  Almost everything sold out.  She was wonderful.

Then they went to Jill, so that Jill could announce her show coming up immediately after Antonella.  Jill was abrupt, curt, unsmiling, and obviously annoyed.  It seemed like Jill did believe Antonella would be fired after that show, and perhaps Jill felt it her right to let her displeasure show. 

I didn't like Jill for several years after that.  I thought she was haughty and publicly disloyal to a fellow host that was nervous and just starting out. 

But soon I realized Jill was Jill.  I got over it.  Jill never became one of my favorites, but I think she is one of QVC's best hosts. Always prepared, always thorough, often witty, and much kinder than I thought of her all those years ago.  She's a true class act, and I wish her well.

@Caaareful Shopper Your post resonates with me because I never cared for Jill and, essentially, still don't, primarily because of her attitude, writ large, that you conveyed so well in the example of her reaction to the newly minted Antonella... Though I rarely watch QVC anymore, to the extent I might have mellowed some small bit with regard to her is likely a combination of her having mellowed, however slightly, over the years, and a testament to just how bad some of the newer hosts are... All that said, I've often found her on-air demeanor off-putting and, though they were a number of years ago, read a few posts from those who had encountered her in real life that were not particularly flattering... She has her strengths, I'm sure, but I'm not going to gild the lily by saying I'll miss her. Odds are, I probably won't...

Woman Wink

Contributor

I remember Jill mostly from the Denim & Co shows just before Carolyn took over. Towards the end of that era, it seemed obvious (to me) she just wasn't having fun any more. I used to chuckle at her rote pleasantries and abrupt demeanor with gushing callers. Seriously, could you imagine doing that job for 25 years!!? Sometimes the money ain't worth it!

In my humble opinion, it was simply time to ramble on down the road!

I’m right there with you all. Products are the same old same old. Don’t watch any of Shawn’s shows anymore. Can’t stand her giddyness and her constantly putting on and taking off those glasses. Jill, you are the best! Wishing you the best of luck in whatever you do. You will be missed. ❤️😪

Frequent Contributor
Jill hasn't left yet.
Frequent Contributor
I read a post she did and also hearing her talk she has kids going off to college soon and she wants to be able to be home with them,go to their games while they still are in high school (I think one of them is) and the other is in college I don't remember but still I remember hearing her say that and reading that that was why.. she has spent these years at QVC while they were at home and growing up.. now they are almost out of the house for good and on with their lives and she wants to enjoy the time she has left with them before they have families of their own or move out on their own.. I don't blame her for wanting to be more present in their lives and going to their ball games.
Trusted Contributor
Sounds good but that's sooo not it.
Respected Contributor

@DiamoniqueDiva98611 wrote:
I read a post she did and also hearing her talk she has kids going off to college soon and she wants to be able to be home with them,go to their games while they still are in high school (I think one of them is) and the other is in college I don't remember but still I remember hearing her say that and reading that that was why.. she has spent these years at QVC while they were at home and growing up.. now they are almost out of the house for good and on with their lives and she wants to enjoy the time she has left with them before they have families of their own or move out on their own.. I don't blame her for wanting to be more present in their lives and going to their ball games.

Some people arent buying her reason for leaving... Ballgames?  You dont turn down six figures to watch a high school baseball game.