Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jill Martin is Going to the Olympics...

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper...got it...but there are definitely better choices than J Martin...she doesn't have that type of experience.

I think she's a sportscaster and a reporter for the New York Knicks. Far better than Savannah Guthrie....

Honored Contributor

I think it's really about exposure & fan base.  Not about expereice with reporting on something like this.  I like her, but I often wonder what her real nitch is (I guess you don't need one anymore).  She's in the latest Teenage Mutant Ninja movie too, playing herself!  NBC knows she has a big following; I don't think the QVC gig is even on the radar compared to all her other jobs. She seems driven and successful.  Here's NBC's bio on her regarding the Olympic picks:

•Jill Martin is a contributor on "Today," reporting on the latest fashion trends and entertainment stories. She has co-hosted the fourth hour of the show with Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb, and has reported from the red carpet at the Golden Globes, Oscars and Emmys. Martin also serves as a pregame, halftime and postgame reporter on New York Knicks telecasts.

QVC isn't even mentioned.  It's like QVC is her volunteer work.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, @Caaareful Shopper, I've never seen anyone spread so thin and in such a variety of jobs.

QVC and GILI seem way down on the list, if even on her list. The Q has her obviously to give them free exposure and publicity. The GILI line is almost stagnant....

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Maybe all of the Americans will be wearing an Obi belt and carrying a Python fringe bag in the opening ceremonies.

@QueenDanceALot

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

I am not very impressed with Jill. I thought she would do a good job, but the glamour is just not there. She just does not have the style that is needed for the line. I can't quite explain it, but she is just not right for this line. I really can't think of who would, none of the current host's seem right, except maybe Amy. Jill just seems more of a sports type and they really need a person who loves fashion and style.

Making the sign of the cross when I say please no, not Amy... Anybody but Amy... But I agree. None of the current Q hosts seem to be quite the 'it' girl the line seems to need. Were she a bit more seasoned, I might be able to see Courtney gradually move into the role, but she's not there yet either...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Jill Martin is Going to the Olympics

Good!  I wish she'd stay there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Jill is not one of my favorite vendors so if QVC decided to bring in an alternate to fill in, it would be (to quote Martha Stewart) "a good thing" .......  Jill doesn't seem to have a real passion for the G.I.L.I  line.she seems disinterested....And she doesn't seem to fit the part of what the GILI line is supped to be---high end fashion but QVCized clothing....it needs a vendor that brings some glamour ....

And as far as the Olympics....its not only Zika have you seen some of the water over there...(there's a thread on the Sports Category with pictures).....YUUUCKKK!!!  A lot of the media has refused to go to Brazil...

I don't care for her either and although I'm not personally a rabid Gili fan, I wouldn't be concerned that her absence will somehow stunt the line... They can call her the 'creative director' all they want to, but let's get real here, she's a media person. She was hired to 'front' the line and I'd personally surmise her actual design role is limited.

@stevieb  Well you know QVC tosses titles around so liberally....I'm thinking of one host in particular that tears a page out of a magazine or catalog and asks QVC's buyers if QVC could make something like it but cheaper......then the host calls herself "the designer" who brought it to QVC....Rolling Eyes Emoticon

As for Jill---she seems to have an eye on $$$$ and ever expanding career opportunities....Here's a more detailed bio---

"Jill began her career as an assistant at The Maury Povich Show after interning at LIVE! with Regis and Kathie Lee and Geraldo. With experience with production under her designer belt, she soon began her broadcasting career in 1999. As the host of WAMI-TV's Live, Jill reported on entertainment happenings in the Miami area, conducting celebrity interviews and covering special events. Following her time with Live, Jill spent a short time as a Hamptons reporter for News 12 Long Island, reporting on the entertainment scene and writing a corresponding feature in Dan's Paper highlighting the summer's must-haves.
From News 12, Jill landed a role as a Fashion Correspondent with Good Morning America on ABC where she highlighted the hottest fashion trends. After a year with ABC, Jill spent two years with the Miami Heat, sharing her passion for hoops as she hosted live broadcasts during timeouts and halftime, conducted fan and celebrity interviews and established in-depth reports on the players' lives off the court...."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3141314/bio

@stevieb With the Maury Povich "tabloid" Show, working as a Hampton's reporter, and writing a feature on "must-haves".....why she was just a NATURAL for QVC.....Woman WinkWoman LOLWoman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper - that's what I meant, taking Savannahs place at the Olympics, not on the Today show.

Trusted Contributor

Ok, not to be snarky, why was this vendor chosen to be the face of GILI? From Lisa R. to this woman? Please explain what I am missing.

I apologize in advance if this post seems insensitive but I am sincerely curious about this choice of vendor.

dee

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Spurt I've heard about the water too!  Our athletes have trained so hard for so long, and for some older ones this may be their last shot at Olympic competitions.  Horrible situation.

And this is what happens when the Olympics become more about money and politics than they are about amateur athletics... When was the last time there was actually a 'pretty' winter Olympics, held somewhere that actually connotes winter sports... It's all about who can offer the biggest take and what country needs to be made to feel important, not about what the best venue might actually be.

I agree with you both on this. Pro athletes should never have been allowed to compete in the Olympic Games IMO. That decision, believing the public would not tune in to see amateur yet accomplished athletes, paved the way for the nightmare situation today regarding Brazil.

The impartiality, credibility, and integrity of Olympic officials is nil. The Games have been reduced to a media pay day. I'm grateful to remember seeing the Olympics of old, staying up late to watch live events at 3:00 a.m., then rejoicing with fellow employees a few hours later.

It's official: I'm older than dirt! LOL

dee