Trusted Contributor

Re: Jill Bauer

In my opinion, the Q is trying to go for a younger audience which is crazy because I believe the 50-75 (approx of course) generation is who watches and buys!  Most in that category do not relate to GILI or Shawn's style.  My daughter who is 37 would not be buying silk flower arrangement type things on the Valerie or YHWJ shows.  That generation goes for that farmhouse look. They also don't buy expensive jewelry; not important to them.  My adult kids don't decorate like I do for every holiday, they are minamalists.  It will be interesting to see how the Q evolves with all the changes taking place. Of course this is only my opinion and how I see the next generation shopping. 

Valued Contributor

@SPURT.. Very interesting earlier post and points u made! I totally forgot about debut of Jill Martins home items on David’s show.,I bet JM’s debut and her home show which appeared to be just about put away had much to do w/ her decision. Someone else also posted earlier that it might have been mutual on her and Q’s part and just maybe given a retirement package.
Honored Contributor

After reading some of these posts, I too am wondering if "GILI" going into more home items and probably getting more shows of that type, had anything to do with the decision of Jill B.  Personally I have never liked anything in the GILI line and I really don't like the GILI host.  Will not watch or purchase.  I always enjoyed Jill Bauer's presentations and her At Home with Jill shows.  I did miss a lot of them when they transferred that show to Q2 as I seldom watch that channel.    Getting to the point where I hardly tune in to QVC at all.  Too much shouting, etc. and I don't care for that last group of new hosts.  They don't seem as prepared/polished as the previous group.  I guess the question of why QVC is hiring so many new people is getting answered.  Two hosts are gone or leaving soon.  (Jill and Cathy P.)   

Honored Contributor

She looks incredibly relaxed and at ease on her Facebook good-by post.  It echoes the exact same look anyone who'd retired and come back to my office had (back when I was still working and wishing retirement would come soon!).

All the best to Jill.  I have the sense she's someone who knows how to make the most of anything, and now she has the chance to make the most of what is probably her most important "anything."

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@greeenie wrote:

I didn't think Jill's statement was contradictory in any way. She was very gracious in my opinion. I guess I look more on the positive side than some so I wasn't looking for hidden messages or innuendos at all. To me it was just what it sounded like. 

She said she was leaving to spend time with her family.

She said she would still be on the internet [Facebook, personal website, etc.].

Why be on social media then?

To stay relevant and in the public eye.

Most likely because she is trying to put something else together and that means NOT being home all the time.

She contradicted herself.

Trusted Contributor

@JHTNYC wrote:

David won't be leaving anytime soon - he has just been given more shows = more hours on air, and for what he is specifically required to do, his age is more appropriate and more credible than than of a relatively inexperienced youngster.

How do you know?  He may not like the current work load.  If he does not like it, he will not agree to a new contract.

Trusted Contributor

@JohnnyEager wrote:
I watched Jill's announcement live and also viewed her Facebook statement. I didn't hear anything contradictory, although it wasn't her on air announcement verbatim.

Maybe I need to play it backwards to hear the secret messages?

Read my other response above.

On Facebook, she said two different things.

Trusted Contributor

I really do not get the attempt at connecting Jill Martin to Jill's departure.

Jill Martin = new home products for GILI [sheets, pillows, rugs, etc.]

Jill Bauer = home decor [holiday and seasonal items]

They are not doing the same things.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Retired 08 wrote:

@SPURT 

I hate the way QVC has evolved, but I think you are correct.  The "GILI Jill" and Shawn appear to be great friends.  With Shawn being the new self appointed queen of QVC (she seems to be carrying QVC on her back) I am not surprised that they are promoting the"GILI Jill" now.  I loved Jill Bauer's decorating shows when I could catch them, and the products are classy and most are "year round" usable.  I do not like "trendy" decorating pieces or "trendy" clothing.  Just another reason for me not to waste my time trying to watch and enjoy QVC.  

@Retired 08 

Well said!

Im with you, I do not follow trends in fashion or home decor......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

I really do not get the attempt at connecting Jill Martin to Jill's departure.

Jill Martin = new home products for GILI [sheets, pillows, rugs, etc.]

Jill Bauer = home decor [holiday and seasonal items]

They are not doing the same things.

@alarmclock 

Jill B. had sheets and pillows in her YHWJ shows...and according that was just a small sample of Jillm's home decor so who knows what else she's going to sell in her complete line.....Here's a bit of a tease line...

Jill Martin G.I.L.I For the Home.  Bath · Bedding · Candles & Scents · Decorative Accents · Furniture · Holiday · Indoor Lighting · Mattresses ...
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”