Frequent Contributor

Jewelry Shows have gone down hill.

QVC certainly has gone down in the jewelry that they offer.  The silver and gold shows use to be awesome.  I cannot afford any more and don't even enjoy watching because the costs of 500-2000 is not a place I can afford.  For those of you who can...I applaud you.  Even the diamonique shows and quality has changed.  I miss silver style....there are practically "no" silver shows unless it's a high end designer of which some of them have left the Q also.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jewelry Shows have gone down hill.

ITA, fortunately I purchased most of my jewelry years ago before the pricing got out of control.  I do pick up a piece now and then when on sale or clearance.  Recently I bought the JAI whale tale pendant I had been wanting for months .   I used to love watching those shows and still enjoy it but not as much.  I could never pay those ridiculous prices either.   I don't want things on easy pay forever!  By the time you add the tax and shipping, yikes!

Honored Contributor

Jewelry sales are down everywhere.  It's said that instead of buying luxury items, the Millennials want to invest in "experiences".  I think the Q has always had poor buyers who never recognized new trends or kept up with them.  They never had a piece of druzy, spinel or Morganite until at least a year after the other channels had it, and many of us already had as much as we wanted.  Many of us older shoppers are maxed out on jewelry and don't want or need more.  QVC's jewelry sales have been a losing proposition for years, according to their annual financial reports.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I checked in a few times yesterday and also looked at a  "recently on air" items. I had no idea that we now are offered 1K "gold" with plating. 99% what else...base metal? Why bother with 1% gold. The gemstone pieces I saw were thousands of $$$ and many looked (to me) gawdy. I don't wear $$$ items that look like carnival prizes. I understand why the prices are high, but the styles did not tempt me. Thank goodness I got my gold hoops when 14k hoops were $30 on gold day. They are a timeless style and were affordable. 

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I checked in a few times yesterday and also looked at a  "recently on air" items. I had no idea that we now are offered 1K "gold" with plating. 99% what else...base metal? Why bother with 1% gold. The gemstone pieces I saw were thousands of $$$ and many looked (to me) gawdy. I don't wear $$$ items that look like carnival prizes. I understand why the prices are high, but the styles did not tempt me. Thank goodness I got my gold hoops when 14k hoops were $30 on gold day. They are a timeless style and were affordable. 

I had never heard of 1k, so I did check it out and good grief the prices were too high for 1k.  Who are they trying to sell to lol.  I always look at other channels for jewelry.

Respected Contributor

10441248_721342651255482_8026015983953639316_n.png

Ever since this man disappeared ( Michael O'Connor) I have felt the quality decline. I dont know if he was a buyer for QVC or just a representative but he seemed to bring quality items to the Q. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, Michael O'Connor, past rep for Affinity Diamonds. After he left QVC, he went to HSN. 

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Jewelry sales are down everywhere.  It's said that instead of buying luxury items, the Millennials want to invest in "experiences".  I think the Q has always had poor buyers who never recognized new trends or kept up with them.  They never had a piece of druzy, spinel or Morganite until at least a year after the other channels had it, and many of us already had as much as we wanted.  Many of us older shoppers are maxed out on jewelry and don't want or need more.  QVC's jewelry sales have been a losing proposition for years, according to their annual financial reports.

@Kachina624   Somewhere it was mentioned that Silver Sale Day was canceled. That's most likely the reason.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't watch as many jewelry shows on Q as I used to watch.  Part of it is because I'm just not attracted to the merchandise.  I guess I started feeling that way when they began pitching all that bronze.  Lately when I've tuned in or watched an online jewelry video, it seems to take them forever to actually show someone wearing the item.  I like to get an idea of what a ring, bracelet, necklace, or pair of earrings will look like when worn, and they can make me wait a long time while they go on and on about personal stories, where one might wear it, etc.  

Honored Contributor

Funny this conversation came up---was just looking thru my armoir to see many pieces of jewelry that I don't wear!!! Mostly earrings but a few other staples too----don't have much 14k but a few chains, earrings and such---lots of pearls tho--and lots of beaded semi precious strands-- am a big silver lover and artisan style too---will give to my DD who will break them down and make her style of jewelry from them to sell. Jewelry used to be a passion for me---but not anymore---bought a ton of gold back in the day of cheap gold----sold most of it for a pretty money too.