Trusted Contributor

Re: It's going to be hard for me when the older hosts leave.

There are two of the older hosts I will be happy for them and myself when they retire.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat   I have been in that frame of mind for a while now regarding old hosts/new hosts.  I've watched QVC for the last 30 years.  I guess I am fading on out like the old hosts are...time for the new hosts to appeal to younger viewers, like I was 30 years ago.  It's the 'circle of life' I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

Seasoned and intelligent

Honored Contributor

@srgtdj wrote:

It's not silly at all!   Haven't all of us watched a tv show or moive and cried at the death of a character or a sad story line.  We become invested even in a 2 hour movie or tv series.  So it's natural to become familiar with hosts we "grew up with" so to speak.    They are comfortable..we know what to expect..we share some history with them.   Some of the newer hosts are growing on me as they get better in their role and I see them more.  Some of the newer hosts I simply can't tolerate and so I change the channel.  There are also a few hosts that have been around longer that aren't for me..too loud, too much laughing, etc.  But not every host will be a match for every customer.  

So, I think we give the new folks a chance.  Amy Stran, Katie McGee, Mary D., Kristine, Ali Carr  are nice additions to the goup of Mary Beth, Jayne, Pat, Jane ,Leah, and Carolyn (to name a few of the "older" female hosts.)  Kerstin is a bit much for me--the body hugging, skin showing attire just isn't my style (although I respect that she has a very fit body). Rachel never really grew on me.  Same with Antonella.  But it's likely that folks posting on this thread find Kerstin, Rachel, Antonella their absolute favorites.  Great!

Sometimes QVC is more about having a voice we know share time than it is about spending money.  Sometimes it provides background noise to fall aslepp to, or chatter so that the house isn't so quiet, or just a way to turn off my busy mind--and I like doing that with hosts I "know"

Anyway--not silly at all! Totally understandable--and I agree!

@srgtdj 

You make some good points,  personally I cannnot watch Kristine, Amy, Jane T.....and your right about Kerstin.....

And I think the hosts that make me turn the channel are either too silly, narcisstic, or too insincere and scripted.....this is what I see in some of the newer hosts and perhaps they are just doing what QVC asked.....But then you wonder when you see a few of the newer hosts take on the same traits found in some of the more enjoyable "older" hosts---like newer hosts Katie McGee and Mary Nelson....Why are they calm and pleasant while other newer hosts are loud, in your face, or scripted and unwatchable???? 

Maybe it's just the personalities of the newer hosts coming out  and maybe QVC approves and thinks with the young hosts as the focus instead of products the youthful hosts will make the younger demographic tune in....But I dont think QVC products match very well with the 30 and younger age group anyway....I think QVC should accept their customer retail nitch "40 and up" and gear towards that...established career women, or retirees, some are empty nesters, with disposable income to spend....JMHO

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@icezeus wrote:

This past Sunday, I was interested in the Sharke TSV. I had watched several presentations, but I am sorry QVC the on air rep from sharke, IMO was not very good.  She kept showing the same stupid functions over and over and over again.  Primarily, that when the vacuum went over hair how the hair would not wrap around the brush head. An important point but can you expand. 

I ran a few errands, return home and Mary Beth Roe was on. I truly understand why they have her do a lot of the training with the newer hosts. MBR repeatedly asked questions that I as a potential customer wanted to know. Showed features, that I wanted to use, and  just did her job and sold it to me. I ended up purchasing. 

I am sorry you just do not get that from most of the newer hosts, and even some that have been with the "Q"  for several years. 

@icezeus 

You hit the nail on the head....MBR did what a GOOD HOST SHOULD DO---put themselves in the customer's shoes and ask the vendor questions that the customers would want to know about the product instead of just reciting colors, and how many left in each quantity...and filling time with family stories.....and repeating the same scripted sales gimmicks

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Not me, I'm all for young, new and progress. Younger people are not going to buy D&Co. from CG or fashions from MBR.

Do you think "young" people in their 20s and 30s shop QVC??  They have so many other options available that weren't there when QVC/HSN started almost 40 years ago.  

Have always assumed that the average QVC customer is 50+ with a significant amount of disposable income.

Super Contributor

I agree @Spurt .   I have 30-40 year old nieces and they don't ever watch QVC.  At best they mihg look online for an item and compare prices.  I suppose QVC needs to always bring in new younger viewers but I think I'd do that on QVC2 or QVC3 instead of mixing it all up on every channel.  Have a youth oriented channel--differnt product mix and different hosts.  That's not to say that women over 40 aren't interested in those same items.  But you'd know where to go..each channel would be unique.

Regular Contributor

I agree and why not hire older women and men? Some who are semi retired? Younger hosts are fine, but they need to start catering to us older customers too who can relate better. I'd bet sales would sore!
Respected Contributor

I am a long time viewer too.

Many years ago, I think Q was trying hiring the next generation of hosts. I think the ideas is to get viewers used to new faces as the senior staff gradually leave.

But they did not stay or for what ever resason did not work out.

The ones that come to mind include: Patti Riley, Kim Parrish, Dave James, Jackie Gonzales, LR and many that I cannot call their names.

Now they have mass employee replacements and their customers are uneasy. 

The change in programming makes us old timers uneasy too. I think there's too much skin care/cosmetics. How many brands of crew neck cotten/poly tees can there be? Q used to offer some good deals and fast shipping but not any more. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I think the opposite. The Hosts that have been on the air for 20 + years  are  getting stale  with old sales tactics . That's why I think QVC has that silly gimmic Fri Yay which alot of us  are turned off to . As jolly as David is  , I think his Happy dance is a little old .

I'm glade to see new Hosts  .