Occasional Contributor

Re: It's going to be hard for me when the older hosts leave.

I too feel somewhat silly with any sort of attachment to QVC hosts and or vendors. I go back to CVN days . I therefore have seen many changes . Most of the technical changes have made the online  shopping experience easier. However, I occasionally must remind myself that ALL the hosts even MBR were hired to SELL. So if I tune in to SG I mute the sound . Her prices seemed to have escalated beyond belief.  And as is this case this morning,Kirsten is again showing too much skin at least for my viewing . So I changed networks. I find myself more and more looking online at what has been presented and selecting what peaks my interest. There have been so many contradictions along various lines from the hosts, some verbal some subtle, And I realize I seem to be drifting back to the old fashioned methods of shopping. Out of pjs, dressed and Car keys in hand .

Respected Contributor

@house_cat   I totally understand.  We all feel most comfortable with "old" friends; but you can't be old friends with someone who is 30-40 years younger than you are!

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

I enjoy the younger hosts as well as the older crowd.  I am in my 70's and I find them cute and spunky and funny.   They remind me of my grandchildren who are about in their age category.

I do agree with a prior poster that your own tv would help a lot.   My husband and I do not enjoy the same shows and so many of our friends say the same thing!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I hear you @house_cat  and agree!

People will shame us for getting into emotional attachments with the hosts, and " don't you realize that they are just there to sell you things, no matter how they have to get it done". Yes, I get that. 

But like anything we choose to watch, it's about feeling happy, or comfortable, or being entertained or informed. And over the years, one's favorite sitcom, talk show, news outlet and even QVC hosts/vendors/shows become those things to our viewing experiences. 

I'm just a little bit sad every time a long time host or vendor moves on. A few of the newer ones are ok, and over time, I'm sure will grow on me. I took to Mary DeAngiliss (spelling?) quite quickly when she was new, and I'm sure the newest batches of folks will have future favorites emerge as well. But none of the newer hosts will ever take the place of those long time hosts that have been with Q since the beginning (or almost beginning). They have a whole other world of experience of growing up with the business, having sold and done just about every job in the company (Jane Tracey tells about getting off air selling, and having to go and help pack boxes for shipping!!). Most of today's hosts are quickly moved in to specialty categories, and if mostly selling beauty products, are rarely seen in the kitchen or if doing lots of home shows, aren't seen in the jewelry shows. I admire the long time hosts for being so versatile and being able to do it all.

I will say, I find myself watching less and less. They have multiple channels, and often will have the same category of products on all three at the same time. I have few categories that interest me enough to watch (kitchen, holiday and home), and if one of those aren't on, I'm moving on. Unfortunately for me, most programming is about fashion, beauty, shoes.......just things I"m not even interested in watching, let alone buying. Still don't understand why they do that, with multiple channels, something different should be on each one, to capture as many different kinds of customers as possible, not splitting say the fashion viewer, between three channels at once. 

But what do I know?

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @house_cat  ...

I rarely can sit still for any hour long show.  I miss Jill Bauer, who probably was my favorite ...  I watch Leah on Saturday mornings with my AM Style Sisters, but that's mostly for talk about our shared passion for fashion and just good conversation about our lives, in general.  

I also love Jayne with Louis perhaps more than any other host  ...

forget about any of the new hosts ... I don't know one from the other.

Occasional Contributor

agree, I still work full time and miss seeing Jayne ( especially! ) and Pat. Loved when they heard an Early AM Style on Friday mornings.   I seem to catch some of the new hosts in the early AM while getting ready for work - will admit that I do like Kristen Zell  and Terri Conn ( loved her on As the World Turns years ago! ).  I always enjoy Amy, Shawn and Carolyn - and hope they won't be going anywhere soon!    

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat 

I haven't really watched QVC in about 5 years now.  I might catch a few minutes, or a presentation of something specific, maybe a bit of AM style, but...I used to have it on all the time.  

In the beginning, I found some unique things and lovely, well-made clothing for work.  I bought most of my Christmas gifts from QVC for several years.

When Kathy L. left, and then it was always a steady influx of new hosts, I just couldn't abide the loud, fast presentations, the repetition and, frankly, I didn't need to spend the money!

Watching the seaonsal shows always gave me inspiration for home decorating and I changed out items several times a year.  No more.

Mostly, I find I'm decluttering and don't need so much stuff.  I used to entertain large groups....that ended.  I just don't need a house ful of items I use once or twice a year.

Like you, I felt a bit sad for those early years when I actually MISSED them when they signed off at Christmas time. 

Honored Contributor

The last two or so groups of new hires are too "cookie cutter."  Can't tell one from another.

Trusted Contributor

I agree, i miss jill, and will miss others. I'm sure i will get deleted...but i can't watch Pat.....her constant head nodding makes my head and neck hurt ! I like her and think she may be a very nice person...but can't watch her. I like some of the new ones, but i do understand what you are saying, some hosts just make you feel good.

Trusted Contributor

QVC isn't what it used to be. I used to watch all the time and Lord knows I've spent a fortune on things from them over the past 26 years.  It seems like the TSV's are repeated often and they show the same products too much. They need more variety with what they sell. They always have IT Cosmetics and Josie Maran TSV's. Tired of seeing the same old thing.