Respected Contributor

Re: It IS rude to talk about someone's weight

@Desertdi wrote:

I have had quite a number of people actually ask me how much I weigh.   I would never think of asking THEM that question..............

This boggles MY mind.  Not disbelieving you, @Desertdi.   What do you say in response?   Or do you just punch them in the face?  (just kidding)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

It works both ways.  There have OP about over and under weight here.  

There have also been discussions about speech habits and movement patterns.  All fair game.

Why single out weight as a topic?

It is NEVER okay to critique weight, speech impediments, physical charicteristics or motor skills.  We have no way of knowing what the cause is, and in many cases, the stress and anxiety of the negative comments can make the problem worse for the person.  

What happened to common decency?  If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all!  To take things a step further, just because a person is a public figure does not excuse rudeness.  Of course we wonder about things privately.  That can't be helped.  But it goes to another level when that speculation, with little to no actual factual information to base those opinions on, are blasted on social media.  We all should remember how we would feel if we were on the receiving end of the comments and speculation.

Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago I worked with a short woman who carried her weight mainly in

her stomach area.

She was constantly asked if she was pregnant by customers in the store. 

People are rude asking such a personal question. I felt bad for her.

Esteemed Contributor

DEAR ABBY'S comeback for rude questions was

"If you will forgive me for not answering, I will forgive you for asking."

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

What happened to common decency indeed. People deserve to be told exactly how rude they are when they make such comments. They need to be called out on it.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

In most cases it is a stupid mistake to ask an overweight female if they are pregnant.

At the heart of fat shaming is a meaness I think is born out of fear for themselves. 

Valued Contributor

Especially when they are on tv eating for three hours trying to make commission

Contributor

I just have to say one thing about diet soda .... if it contains aspartame, please stay clear of it.

Esteemed Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

It is NEVER okay to critique weight, speech impediments, physical charicteristics or motor skills.  We have no way of knowing what the cause is, and in many cases, the stress and anxiety of the negative comments can make the problem worse for the person.  

What happened to common decency?  If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all!  To take things a step further, just because a person is a public figure does not excuse rudeness.  Of course we wonder about things privately.  That can't be helped.  But it goes to another level when that speculation, with little to no actual factual information to base those opinions on, are blasted on social media.  We all should remember how we would feel if we were on the receiving end of the comments and speculation.

@GraceLady - Well said! I was planning to post a very similar comment.

As an illustration: My best friend had been an athlete for her entire life, always keeping herself healthy and in tip-top shape. Several years ago, she was in a near-fatal car crash that completely changed her world; between the long recovery and the medication she'll be taking forever, she has gained nearly 100 pounds, will never be able to lose the majority of that weight, and basically no longer recognizes herself—and this is her new "normal." I can't tell you how heartbreaking it is for her (and me) as she gets pitying or judgmental looks when we go grocery shopping or out to eat together. She is still struggling to accept herself, and these situations just kill her spirit and make her miserable.

Again, there is no need to make any kind of snarky or mean-spirited comment about or directly to someone just because it pops into your head. You are, of course, perfectly welcome to think and feel and judge as you wish, but it is pointless and unnecessary to be cruel when there is already so much negativity in the world.

Honored Contributor

@GraceLady wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

It works both ways.  There have OP about over and under weight here.  

There have also been discussions about speech habits and movement patterns.  All fair game.

Why single out weight as a topic?

@GraceLady - well stated again! Add to the list comments about surgeries, family and relationship gossip. There is a certain aspect of crudeness on the boards. Mods removed the rude posts on the other thread about Amy - several times a sweep was required. Posters that repeatedly post in that manner should receive a warning and if not complied should be banned. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri