Contributor

Is this marketing technique effective to sell stuff? Too me it's worthless.

Just about every host for every product will use the word "under" to reflect pricing and I guess to enhance the value you're getting. So if the item is $59.95, the host will tell you that you are getting it for UNDER $60.00. This is a constant technique which I personally think is worthless. Every price is under something.  Does this technique provide value to you?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is this marketing technique effective to sell stuff? Too me it's worthless.

It grates on me because it isn't "under" it is "less than."

People don't use "fewer than" correctly now either. 

Honored Contributor

This 'technique' has been used in most retail sales for decades!

QVC sure didn't invent it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

I know these types of things are annoying but I think they do work.  QVC has a lot of data, especially moment to moment data, that shows buzz words that sell and those that don't.

One thing I've been seeing for a long time is QVC says "pick this up" rather than "buy." I notice that QVC customers use the words pick this up a lot too.

Regular Contributor

I think they use Love Love Love wrong too......

Esteemed Contributor

@akxss wrote:

Just about every host for every product will use the word "under" to reflect pricing and I guess to enhance the value you're getting. So if the item is $59.95, the host will tell you that you are getting it for UNDER $60.00. This is a constant technique which I personally think is worthless. Every price is under something.  Does this technique provide value to you?

@akxss Any and every time they say "under,"  I think to myself, well once you add the shipping and tax, it is no longer "under" that amount.  So that technique does not work with me.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Even more deceiving is the easy pay.....you can get it home for under $3.

Without shipping 😡

Honored Contributor

They've been doing that for 35 years....LOL   Where have you been?  LOL  It's just one of those phrases like "it's just $1 a day" or  "this pays for itself".  It's verbal filler because they have to say something. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It grates on me because it isn't "under" it is "less than."

People don't use "fewer than" correctly now either. 

@Sooner   @akxss 

LOL ... ITA.     While we see an occasional second host or the models, most vendors are still not usually present in the studio.  That means that the host is basically doing several minutes of a "sales monologue".  They stand in a studio, facing a camera and have to go on and on and remain coherent.  I can see how it's easy to fall back on catch phrases to help fill the time.   I'd bet they often say those phrases before they even realize what they've said. 

And don't forget about the ear bud they all have and are trying to listen to the producer and keep talking at the same time.  NOT an easy task, IMO.

Hey, it's a shopping channel whose prime consideration is how to sell more product.   I'm not sure a lot of people would find these comments annoying ... unless they tend to watch a LOT of hours of presentations.  

Valued Contributor

Just as bad as buying gas for the car. Why is it $1.99/gal or $2.99/gal. Just make it $2 or $3 a gallon. Do the sellers really think they're giving me a bargain? Smiley LOL