Honored Contributor

Re: Is maple flavor sophisticated?

Well, I am a down home country old lady that loves anything made with maple.  So when I eat maple fudge, candy or whatever, it becomes sophisticated and so do I!!!!

LMBO!

Seriously?!  I dont get how some viewers pickup on trivial comments by the hosts or vendors and why its an issue.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@mormel20   ITA. I think of maple on a stack of homemade pancakes. No sophistication at all...just yummy!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the worst thing I've ever seen were my former male coworkers eating maple bacon donuts.   To me, strips of bacon on a donut are just gross. Smiley TongueSmiley LOL

The area in NNY where I grew up has many "sugar shanties"  where farmers make maple products. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Josmad wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Maple flavor for a pancake syrup is expected, so it could be thought of as ordinary...something you see everyday. Maple flavor for fudge is unexpected and not seen everyday so as far as the palate goes, it's for a sophisticated palate, one that veers off the tried and true to try something a little new.

I don't think so. Every place I go, that has fudge, almost always has a maple flavor. 

@Josmad It's available, but not as frequently tried...not as frequently chosen. It can mean that those that choose to try it taste outside the more traditional chocolate flavor, they're adventurous and with a wider range of tasing experience, they become discerning. From a selling standpoint, they use the term as a compliment to induce sales of the product. It's meant to flatter those that choose it. It's meant to make them feel they are somehow special and elite. It, the maple fudge, is not really very sophisticated but the QVC host is saying it is. Those that have a sophisticated palate can also mean those that have tried many foods that come from different cultures and have flavors less frequently seen as a part of everyday foods in a culture. Sometimes the foods do not taste very good to those trying it for the first time and the food can have what's called an acquired taste. A fondness for it might also be considered a part of a sophisticated palate. 

I'll give you an example. I will order foie gras at a restaurant. I actually order two of them from the appetizer menu at a restaurant that serves continental cuisine. I have it served as my entree. No one else in my group of friends would order it when we dined as a large group. I've developed a taste for it. This would be years ago. I wish the restaurant was still open. Anyway, Klime, the European chef and owner, would always come over to me when I ordered it. He loved to prepare it. In France or other parts of Europe it wouldn't be unusual to order, but over here, it's for the sophisticated palate.

I really hate to say this, but people do not want to eat foie Gras because geese and ducks are brutally tortured by being forced fed in the most horrific way before they are killed for their liver.

Resturants do not want this item on their menu because they will be mobbed by animal lovers and PETA.

In addition, some countries have banned this food.  Also, it is illegal to sell in many American cities and has been banned in the state of California.

I think you would be hard pressed to find it in resturants today.

Esteemed Contributor

Isn't it in a duo pac with the peanut butter one?  Nuf said!

Honored Contributor

True maple flavor is very subtle. The kind in the bottle at the super market has artificial flavoring and is somewhat over powering. I would think the fudge has artificial flavoring and is not sophisticated at all. Do you know the diff?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Trusted Contributor

I guess I don't have to worry about having a sophisticated palate!

I can eat maple flavored things, but it's not one of my favorites, so I often skip it.