Trusted Contributor

Re: Is maple flavor sophisticated?

What a RIDICULOUS comment, but NOT surprising.

Respected Contributor

I am sure they were using the term "sophisticated" to try and sell more fudge...perhaps it would make customers curious enough to try it. 

Trusted Contributor

Just marketing propaganda.  Ignore it.

Respected Contributor

I learned at a Maple farm? in Montreal that the light syrup is the best. We asked about the dark maple. The guy said "that's what we put on baked ham."

Honored Contributor

To me it signifies more of a down home flavor, nothing sophisticated.

Super Contributor

I think that the richness of the butterfat and the other top quality ingredients would tend to give the maple a more sophisticated flavor.

Regular Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Josmad wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Maple flavor for a pancake syrup is expected, so it could be thought of as ordinary...something you see everyday. Maple flavor for fudge is unexpected and not seen everyday so as far as the palate goes, it's for a sophisticated palate, one that veers off the tried and true to try something a little new.

I don't think so. Every place I go, that has fudge, almost always has a maple flavor. 

@Josmad It's available, but not as frequently tried...not as frequently chosen. It can mean that those that choose to try it taste outside the more traditional chocolate flavor, they're adventurous and with a wider range of tasing experience, they become discerning. From a selling standpoint, they use the term as a compliment to induce sales of the product. It's meant to flatter those that choose it. It's meant to make them feel they are somehow special and elite. It, the maple fudge, is not really very sophisticated but the QVC host is saying it is. Those that have a sophisticated palate can also mean those that have tried many foods that come from different cultures and have flavors less frequently seen as a part of everyday foods in a culture. Sometimes the foods do not taste very good to those trying it for the first time and the food can have what's called an acquired taste. A fondness for it might also be considered a part of a sophisticated palate. 

I'll give you an example. I will order foie gras at a restaurant. I actually order two of them from the appetizer menu at a restaurant that serves continental cuisine. I have it served as my entree. No one else in my group of friends would order it when we dined as a large group. I've developed a taste for it. This would be years ago. I wish the restaurant was still open. Anyway, Klime, the European chef and owner, would always come over to me when I ordered it. He loved to prepare it. In France or other parts of Europe it wouldn't be unusual to order, but over here, it's for the sophisticated palate.

I really don't think your example is comparable to maple flavored fudge. 

Trusted Contributor

You can go to any Amish community during candy season and get maple fudge. 

Usually county/state fairs have it too. 

Honored Contributor

I suppose sophisticated can be used many ways but it usually implies refinement, taste, haughtiness, or superiority.

The closest it might come to sophisticated is if it's directly out of a tree in Vermont.  Even then, I would not consider maple syrup sophisticated.

Respected Contributor

I suppose if you don't usually have Maple flavour it's rare enough to be considered "Exotic" or sophisticated."

All I can really say is real Maple Syrup has a "sophisticated" Price Tag.