Respected Contributor

Re: Is There a Cardboard Box Shortage Now?

@Icegoddess. I complained about that once from Q a few months ago and received mean  and nasty comments like, "be glad you received your package" and pretty much "get a life and find something important to do than complain." "Just recycle"  It was mascara in a box designed to ship a shoe box. I don't have regular recycling and some communities don't have any at all.

It happens from time to time and I wonder if it is a hurried grab any box to ship to get it out. Yours is even larger. I hope you don't get nasty remarks like  I did. It makes no sense to ship like that and a waste of cardboard.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

WH.y do vendors seem to use a box that is so huge for the product they are sending?  What a waste and more jiunk for the landfill.  I sure hope all this cardboard is being recycled!

@bargainsgirl   Boxes should not be in a landfill to begin with.  They should be recycled.  Cardboard is recyclable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @Gorgf, really I was just being funny, not complaining, but I guess some will read that into it and make a big deal out of my "complaint".  I'll just ignore those. 

BTW, I do have recycling and recycle smaller boxes, but larger boxes go in the yard to block weeds in an area that is not conducive to gardening but needs to be clear to walk through.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess @PINKdogWOOD 

I dont think there is a cardboard box shortage per se, they are not matching boxes with the size of the actual merchandise.....I ordered some blush from QVC, and it came in this GIGANTIC cardboard box, inside the box was the tiny blush compact wrapped up in a tiny plastic bag....SMH!!! 🙄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt    I, on the other hand, ordered two pairs of jeans from HSN.  They came stuffed in a tiny box that had been used before.  I guess they're recycling.  Another poster ordered the same thing and hers came wrapped completely differently.

I just got an Amazon order in Wal-Mart packaging delivered from my local Supercenter. Ye Gods, it's no wonder were in a state of confusion.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

This morning I went to McDonalds drive-thru to get breakfast.  My mouth kind of dropped when I was handed a Happy Meal box.  The person said your order is all in the box, we are out of paper bags.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess That has happened to me too, also from HSN. The boxes arrive damaged and barely taped closed, act7ally half opened. I've been amazed the product was still inside and not also damaged.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

WHy do vendors seem to use a box that is so huge for the product they are sending?  What a waste and more jiunk for the landfill.  I sure hope all this cardboard is being recycled!

@bargainsgirl 

It is.  Cardboard is very easily recycled.  It is made of wood. Plastic bags, not so much.  They are using our precious short oil supply to make plastic.  God, please help us with the oil shortage.  We know you did not intend we do without the fossil fuel of which you gave us such a rich supply.  We know that everything is recycyable but the oil because it is used up.

Valued Contributor

I've had identical items delivered in HUGE packaging from several other online retailers. Tiny items, often unprotected, shipped inside HUGE boxes or envelopes - Makes No Sense.  I'm no longer calling the retailer about this RIDICULOUS WASTEFUL PROBLEMATIC issue because they can't or won't do a darn thing about it. We are the end line consumers who have to reposition, open then keep for recycling those useless huge cardboard boxes and I resent the whole thing. It's a giant pain to flatten most boxes, store them and then haul them out to the stinky recycle bins which are already full !  Yes I'm complaining and venting here!  Maybe my complaint will reach the right ears and things will change. Our economy is not paying attention to our overburdened Waste management systems and I don't want to contribute to the huge landfills which are the result of our laziness and disrespect for the environment. Our lovely planet is not getting any bigger - just sicker.