Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Lisa Robertson the biggest show host in electronic retail history?

On 12/29/2014 Johnnyeager said:

She wasn't looking at herself. She was making sure the product was placed properly for the camera and lit correctly to show it off.

I work in television, and this is nonsense. It's not the job of the hosts to be sure lighting is correct! Yes, they are supposed to glance at the monitors from time to time for various reasons, but a professional never makes it obvious to viewers. There are no other hosts who are constantly caught checking themselves out, adjusting what they're wearing, etc. There's no question that she was looking at herself a lot of the time. It was glaringly obvious, and I don't think anyone needed my trained eye to see that

I far prefer hosts like Sandra Bennett & Colleen Lopez, who come across as far more authentic, IMO. And I prefer their more natural looks as well. I never liked or disliked Lisa, but I also never thought of her as a "star", gorgeous, or glamorous. Public perception of her is far more balanced than some here would like to think. Not all of us think she's irreplaceable or the best thing since sliced bread. And most of America has never heard of her, Sandra, Colleen, or any of them. Whoever said she can write her own ticket is dead wrong. (Welcome to the world of television, where pretty much no one can write their own ticket, and popularity is incredibly fleeting!)

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/15/2015 NYC Susan said:
On 12/29/2014 Johnnyeager said:

She wasn't looking at herself. She was making sure the product was placed properly for the camera and lit correctly to show it off.

I work in television, and this is nonsense. It's not the job of the hosts to be sure lighting is correct! Yes, they are supposed to glance at the monitors from time to time for various reasons, but a professional never makes it obvious to viewers. There are no other hosts who are constantly caught checking themselves out, adjusting what they're wearing, etc. There's no question that she was looking at herself a lot of the time. It was glaringly obvious, and I don't think anyone needed my trained eye to see that

I far prefer hosts like Sandra Bennett & Colleen Lopez, who come across as far more authentic, IMO. And I prefer their more natural looks as well. I never liked or disliked Lisa, but I also never thought of her as a "star", gorgeous, or glamorous. Public perception of her is far more balanced that some here would like to think. Not all of us think she's irreplaceable or the best thing since sliced bread. And most of America has never heard of her, Sandra, Colleen, or any of them. Whoever said she can write her own ticket is dead wrong. (Welcome to the world of television, where pretty much no one can write their own ticket, and popularity is incredibly fleeting!)

Very well said, Susan. It's really quite sad how easily disposable each and every one of us are. "popularity is incredibly fleeting!" is profound. Once gone from the Q, nobody knows her. Just as nobody knows Lisa Mason, Kathy Levine and others. The Q is no more than being a big fish in a tiny tiny bowl. It still is TV though and better than nothing to many. No matter how small the bowl, many here still think they're "stars."

Trusted Contributor

On 12/12/2014 Kachina624 said: I don't think Lisa is any bigger a "star" than Colleen Lopez on HSN. Lisa is only iconic to the fans she has at QVC, a tiny fraction of the viewing public. Ask the "person on the street" who Lisa Robertson is, and in most cases you'd get a blank stare.
Do you think the 'person on the street would know who Colleen Lopez is? You cannot even compare the two of them. Lisa is single, loves the NYC life and knows, dines and is friends with many vendors and celebrities. She attends FASHION SHOWS of big designers, shops on Madison Avenue, which she is able to do. Whereas, Colleen is married with a family. Colleen is a good host but she's pushy in a different way when she presents her products. I don't think people will buy anything because Colleen is presenting it where we know from all the callers that spoke to Lisa, people would buy because it looked so good on her or because it was HER selling it.
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/16/2015 luvtoshopathome said:
On 12/12/2014 Kachina624 said: I don't think Lisa is any bigger a "star" than Colleen Lopez on HSN. Lisa is only iconic to the fans she has at QVC, a tiny fraction of the viewing public. Ask the "person on the street" who Lisa Robertson is, and in most cases you'd get a blank stare.
Do you think the 'person on the street would know who Colleen Lopez is? You cannot even compare the two of them. Lisa is single, loves the NYC life and knows, dines and is friends with many vendors and celebrities. She attends FASHION SHOWS of big designers, shops on Madison Avenue, which she is able to do. Whereas, Colleen is married with a family. Colleen is a good host but she's pushy in a different way when she presents her products. I don't think people will buy anything because Colleen is presenting it where we know from all the callers that spoke to Lisa, people would buy because it looked so good on her or because it was HER selling it.

Of course we can compare the two of them. The "person on the street" wouldn't know who any shopping channel hosts are. Lisa is no more special, celebrated, or glamorous just because she's single, loves NYC life, etc. So she attends fashions shows and shops on Madison Avenue - So what? I know lots of women who fit your entire description. It's just really not as special as some seem to think, and is actually meaningless because it comes down to personal preference, and which personality types viewers like.

And I'm sure plenty of people do buy because Colleen is the one selling. Just as plenty did because Lisa was the one selling. Neither of them are "stars" or the slightest bit well-known outside of the world of home shopping. Comparing them is certainly appropriate.

Super Contributor

On 1/16/2015 luvtoshopathome said: Do you think the 'person on the street would know who Colleen Lopez is? You cannot even compare the two of them. Lisa is single, loves the NYC life and knows, dines and is friends with many vendors and celebrities. She attends FASHION SHOWS of big designers, shops on Madison Avenue, which she is able to do. Whereas, Colleen is married with a family. Colleen is a good host but she's pushy in a different way when she presents her products. I don't think people will buy anything because Colleen is presenting it where we know from all the callers that spoke to Lisa, people would buy because it looked so good on her or because it was HER selling it.

Oh my goodness. How very sad.

Super Contributor

This whole thread is sad and now it appears to border on the ridiculous.
Esteemed Contributor

Bordering on some sort of disorder....