Trusted Contributor

Re: Irish Products - St. Patrick's Day

This is what frustrates me about QVC. People want things other than cheap plastic from China, but complain about pricing when they offer it. People want QVC to show more variety, but admit they do not want to spend money on the items; they just enjoy watching for entertainment.

I do not say this to criticize any of the posters. Quite frankly, I have similar sentiments. Yes, I enjoy seeing things that are different, and I do find it hard to justify spending money on things that I do not consider essential.

It is just frustrating to see people post that QVC does not offer enough programming on St. Patrick's Day and then complain that QVC does not offer enough "essentials" or lower price points.

Valued Contributor

Mass-produced products from china will be cheaper as long as our trade treaties exist. There are fewer import/export taxes, and the profit markup is very high. Of course something made in Ireland, with better quality raw materials and manufacturing, is going to cost more. Bear in mind, if a handknitter were to buy the wool, or cotton/linen, etc) and make the sweater, the final cost of materials plus labor would be about 2-3 times what QVC is charging. Decent wool runs $75 to $100 or more unless it is for a small child. Unlike the made-in-China sweaters, these are better seamed and properly finished. If I had the space, I'd buy a bunch of the Beleek pieces. Just love the patterns. And Arans are supposed to run loose, it's tough to mass-produce "fitted" sweaters since all bodies are different. I knit so I can custom-fit my sweaters to my body. It takes a long time.
Honored Contributor

I haven't seen today's shows but, generally speaking, the only export manufacturing that remains in [some] Western European countries is of luxury goods. Think of the things sold here in the U.S. from the British Isles, France, and Italy. They're marketed as "luxury" so we'll pay their extra-high prices so they can afford high wages and social benefits. Some products may be worth it, but I suspect most are not.

Honored Contributor

I can't figure out why anyone would want jewelry made of that Conemara Marble. I've seen prettier pebbles on gravel roads. They seem to have the same tired products twice a year, year after year. Maybe Ireland has nothing else to offer? In that case they need to move on and feature another country.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I LOVE the Irish sweaters and find that they are very well priced for what they are. I usually buy one each year and still have the ones I bought many years ago. They are very high quality and hold up over the years. Nothing is cozier than an Irish sweater!

I also love Belleek and buy it both for our use and for gifts. My Everyday Belleek has held up very well and looks beautiful on the table.

I look forward to the Irish shows every year and enjoy them whether I buy anything or not. The quality of every piece I have bought has been very high.

Respected Contributor

On 3/17/2014 kachina624 said: I can't figure out why anyone would want jewelry made of that Conemara Marble. I've seen prettier pebbles on gravel roads. They seem to have the same tired products twice a year, year after year. Maybe Ireland has nothing else to offer? In that case they need to move on and feature another country.

I love Connemara marble pieces. I have a beautiful pendant I wear on a leather cord, a bracelet, ankle bracelet and earrings. Every time I wear my pendant I get compliments. I've even had people stop me and ask me about it all the while oohing and ahhing over it.

Given the volume of sales of the pieces today, I'd say I'm not alone in my love for it.

Obviously you don't like the Irish programming. Sorry. Get over it.

Trusted Contributor

I love the Connemara marble pieces, too. Actually, today I'm wearing my Connemara pin ad bracelet that I've gotten from QVC in years past. I love the uniqueness of each piece.

If everyone loved the same things in life, oh what a boring world we would be!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Love the Irish shows and appreciate QVC for doing them every year. Wish they had used a little different schedule, however. People who work can't sit up all night to see the shows from midnite till they get up to head to the job. And by the time they get home, the Irish programming is over, So unless they have recorded the day's shows they're out of luck.

I haven't bought anything today, but I've loved the shows. The weather here isn't really good for Irish wool sweaters. I have a couple, and rarely have a chance to wear them. I have a beautiful Beleek lamp, and a number of Beleek pieces that are meant for different holidays.

Saw a couple of pieces of jewelry I really liked, but I already have so much I can't justify buying another pair of earrings no matter how much I like them. I'll think about it and maybe go back and check out the offerings on the net later tonight.

Super Contributor

On 3/17/2014 kachina624 said: I can't figure out why anyone would want jewelry made of that Conemara Marble. I've seen prettier pebbles on gravel roads. They seem to have the same tired products twice a year, year after year. Maybe Ireland has nothing else to offer? In that case they need to move on and feature another country.
Wow.
Super Contributor

I love the Irish days on QVC! Such a nice change of pace, and it's so nice to see the variety. I set money aside ahead of time so I can buy some of the lovely (but "non-essential") Irish goodies!

I love all of the Inis fragrances, and was absolutely delighted by the surprise during the first hour--full size Inis Arose, which wasn't even on the website yet to prevent a pre-order sellout. My cats scattered as I lunged for the phone.

Speaking of those cats, I just rescued 2 new kitties I named Shamrock and Clover, so I had to have the green crystal kitty key ring.

While I'm impressed by the time that goes into the sweaters, my body runs warm, and I'd smother in them. I still like seeing them, though!

I'm still debating the Belleek everyday baker--that is a seriously good price! But I've held off so far, because it'd be hard to store another baker. But it does have shamrocks....

Connemara marble is really for collectors. Either you see the charm of it or you don't. I have a lovely charm style watch with several different shades of Connemara in the baubles. I wear it a lot in the late winter/early spring when we desperately need some green.

I love that Jane always kicks off the celebrations and wraps them up--somehow it wouldn't be the same without her. I'm disappointed that it's almost over for the day. I do wish they would have gone the full 24 hours instead of returning to the same old same old for prime time.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, everyone!