Contributor

Re: Irish Products - St. Patrick's Day

On 3/17/2014 kachina624 said: I can't figure out why anyone would want jewelry made of that Conemara Marble. I've seen prettier pebbles on gravel roads. They seem to have the same tired products twice a year, year after year. Maybe Ireland has nothing else to offer? In that case they need to move on and feature another country.

First - it's Connemara Marble and secondly, while you are certainly entitled to not like it please bear in mind that no one has forced you to buy it. I am not a fan of pink stones - ie morganite, pink spinel, pink sapphires. Don't understand the appeal of certain fashion jewelry line. You get the idea. But some people really like them. I would never think of denigrating their choose in the manner you have chosen to do in your post.

I received my first piece of Connemara Marble when I was a young child (a Tara Broach). I still have that piece, as well as many others. I love the colour variation in the marble and the feeling of home I get from the pieces (BTW I come from that part of Ireland).

Before you condemn Ireland and its artists and artisans, perhaps you should educate yourself as to what Ireland does truly offer and compare that to other places. Open your mind, you'll be surprised at the places it will take you, the things you willl see, and the wonders you will grow to appreciate.

Once again a proud CONNEMARA Marble loving Paddy.

Honored Contributor

I have many products that I have bought through the years. Great Quality and well worth the money. I think it is interesting and I love hearing the stories.

Super Contributor

The Irish shows have always been my favorites on Q. I was not able to buy anything this time (due to a very tight budget) but I have put several items on my wish list and plan to purchase them later. Over the years I've purchased Connemara marble and Irish silver jewelry, several pieces of Belleek and a few sweaters and even some facial products. All of their products are always of the highest quality. Actually the Irish shows are the only ones I still watch.

Respected Contributor

Being a long time QVC customer, I appreciate the Irish days and look forward to them.  The stories are wonderful, the products hard to find in the US. Not sure why QVC changed the programming this year? Having QVC2 programming for St Patrick's Days may have worked for some, not me.  I'm in a big city however for some reason QVC2 reception is very spotty and I give up in trying to watch it.  I understand the push to view QVC2 however until it is more of a mainstream channel available as a TV station for most or all it's really not worth it.  QVC I'm afraid you're losing viewership until you solve the problem.  

Occasional Contributor

rockygems123, I just searched for this forum to understand why the program guide only has TWO HOURS listed for Irish programming...? I haven't watched the Q since before Christmas (2017) and was ready to watch all day during the day today before going out tonight and I'm really shocked! Hadn't they already done away with Rose of Tralee programming a few years ago? 

QVC is known for its unique Irish programming, and had prepared myself to buy throughout the day. Now I will not purchase even one item; I'll be out celebrating tonight during the paltry two hour show.

It's insulting to the vendors amd viewers to trot out a handful of products for a two hour slot.

More disappointing choices by QVC leaders.

Frequent Contributor

Wow!  I think the Conamara Marble is beautiful!  Maybe you outght to learn more about Ireland before you make such a condensending remark about an entire Country.  You must be very unhappy.

Contributor

I like the ST. Patrick Day shows. It's nice to watch shows out of the norn. The Irish seem so nice and have a calmness about them. QVC has to many repetetive shows. Time to get some new vendors. I hate when they say for example Temptations has new coming down the pike and the only thing new is a diffrent color, that's not new to me. I want to see new patterns, designs, etc. QVC needs to step it up and lower prices!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lumina @rockygems123 @Kazsails

this is a thread from 2014!!!!  quit bumping up old threads...or is this a troll (funny how all 3 happened to be "new" to posting)....btw its also against the rules.....start a new thread for current discussions

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really look forward to the Irish programming on the Q. It's a welcome change from the usual offerings. I usually tune out on fashion and jewelry days so it's good there is something for everyone. 

As for pricing, as an example, the Aran Craft Irish made sweaters QVC brings in from Ireland are actually a better deal than purchasing one in Ireland. I paid more for a similar Aran Craft sweater when I visited Ireland and on top of that, had to pay a lofty tax to bring it home. 

I can can say I miss the St. Patrick's Day programming of old. It seemed more festive and the product selection was better. They really didn't offer much in the way of new items this time. Most of it has been in inventory for months. However, it's probably hard to compete with the internet, where you can purchase Irish goods 24/7/365.  

Looking forward to Rose of Tralee ☘️ 

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee  Q has the Rose of Tralee festival in late-Summer (August?), so I think you can buy Irish clothing and decor then for use or display in March.  The Irish are lucky to get two days per year.  Smiley Happy