Valued Contributor

Re: Interesting Conversation

Just a thought....

UPS is very expensive--all of my Q packages now arrive USPS, perhaps the Q switched for cost saving purposes.   

Now instead of a nice pristene box ... that used to be placed on my porch, a brown or gray plastic mailing bag is crumbled up into my mailbox.  My last purchase had to be returned because the enclosed silver bracelet was actually bent in transit~!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart you are so right. They're NOT competitive! Back when they started, the were the shiny, bright new thing - TV retail.  There were a couple of very small competitors...and one other competitor, who at the time wasn't as polished.

But time marched on...and ways to conveniently shop from your home multiplied by the scores. Now EVERY retailer is online. All you need is Google to search something out, to find the best price available. You can read reviews - both product reviews and store reviews. Many online stores have B&M stores to return things...almost every store offers free shipping, some once a certain dollar amount is reached, many offer free shipping and free returns. QVC profits from their shipping charges. It's an item on their balance sheet. It's why they rarely offer free shipping - it's a money maker for them.

Now there is competion - legitimate competition - and for me, there are waaaay too many online options to spend my money on. Now I pretty much only buy makeup and the rare thing I see that I can't find elsewhere. And I know shipping and handling is going to take 7-10 days (I live in Portland, OR), which is the longest shipping time of any store I deal with. That last fact was the beginning of the end for me with shopping here.

So, between over priced clothing that may or may not fit, older electronic models priced as if they were the newest models, and crazy shipping costs/shipping times...they just aren't competitive in my eyes. And yet they still act like they're only option available. They rested on their laurels and got greedy...and all their competition passed them by.

I know there are housebound people who live in small towns who feel comfortable with shopping with the Q, but I can't imagine there are enough of them to continue to support this apparent sinking ship.

Personally, I hope QVC can really face the monster they created and fix the things that are messed up so no more people lose their jobs. It's not enough that the top get their bonuses. They need to get competive and that means they need the "little" people to deliver great Customer Service and people in the warehouse processing orders and returns as fast as the competition. Laying off staff is NOT the solution! And they need to look at their pricing structure, their fit issues, and their shipping pricing, just to name a few.

And quit filling gold with silicone, brass, etc. 😄

*** Edited to add words I dropped. My fingers can't keep up with my brain and so they cheat and simply skip words. 😳😜😁

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Respected Contributor

If the UPS store guy was only referring to packages shipped by them then I would agree.  However, most of the items I get from QVC use the USPS.

Honored Contributor

The net can give better deals and free S&H and returns because they don't have the big show on TV 24/7. Who do you thinks pays the hugh saleries for the hosts that annoy us, running that studio has got to be expensive.

Honored Contributor

I only buy items that I have purchased before (either at QVC or elsewhere) and ONLY if it's a great deal. 

I can find out the prices by doing a quick search. If the sites I find are carrying it for $20 more and QVC is offering it with no shipping or low shipping... I have to do the math and see if it's worth it. If QVC is offering it for $50 plus off, then yes, I'm going to buy it.

Usually, the deal is 50-75% off what I can find elsewhere. Do NOT waste my time for a measly $5, $10 or $15 off...add in tax and shipping and where's the savings?

Valued Contributor

@1MrsT

I agree with everything you said, couldnt have said it better myself! 

Honored Contributor

Could Q be shipping more by Postal Service and less by UPS?  My own experience is that UPS rates have become much higher than USPS rates.  So it wouldn't surprise me if Q was using UPS less.

Respected Contributor

I think there are so many other places to shop than when QVC first started, so it makes sense to not see any one retailer dominating the market.  I have some of the same complaints listed here about some other retailers as well.  I certainly shop with QVC if they are the best deal.  I like comparison shopping so none of this bothers me as long as they don't ALL do things I don't like.

Valued Contributor

In fairness, one thing the Q does well is to introduce to me brands I might not have ever known about. I also work from home and take care of my elderly Mom so it's not like I can get out to roam around stores looking for things.

Also, I have gotten some incredible deals on beauty items compared to Sephora or Ulta. Shoes too, I've gotten some decent deals. I also love my Logo where I am pretty sure how it will fit my body. The electronics as I say have been disappointing for me as if I am updating my electronics I'd like them to be the latest or why bother to upgrade.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Respected Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

I agree with everything that's been said here. I think part of the Q's thinking is that there are still impulse purchasers out there (hence the hard-sell), who will buy something off of the TV without researching their other options. Then there are people who can't get to B&M stores. And finally, there remains a shrinking segment of the population who don't use the Internet, so their options are more limited...

QVC's business model is becoming outdated IMO, and they need to better compete in the retail marketplace in order to retain their customers-- and acquire new ones...

I have learned if I see something I am interested in on QVC to check around online, and usually I can find it cheaper and with free shipping. The last example was a pair of dansko clogs. I saw a pic on the q, liked them and, sadly for QVC, got them cheaper and with no sales tax or shipping at a place that also has free returns in case something doesn't fit. I would like to buy from QVC and I did get a denim and company sweater that I love last week. But if a brand name item is sold elsewhere, I usually find it cheaper on other sites these days.