Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting Article Regarding Today's Retail World!

@Spurt wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I think retail stores are going to have to completely revamp their lines - I think places like TJ Maxx and Marshall are going to survive, but unless the others change, their history.  Sears and Kmart - it's their own fault - they didn't keep up with the styles or times.  JCP - I really doubt they will survive. 

@hoosieroriginal

Your right, the TJ MAXX, Marshall, Home Goods stores are doing quite well, while others struggle.  When Sears and Kmart merged (both are struggling) that was a huge mistake, and their CEO is more interested in real estate investments than making changes to improve the stores and keep them alive. (all Kmarts here were closed in my city long ago---they were dirty stores and the prices didnt match the quality of the merchandise)........... 

Nordstrom and Macy's better watch out---I read that the younger demographic isn't as interested in buying expensive clothes just for the name on the label (prestige clothing as it were--what everyone is wearing and such) as people have done in the past....

I agree, younger people are not even interested in getting a car or a license.  Totally different mind set.  I went to high school in the 70's everyone wanted their license and a car. They are not driven by name brand clothes or anything, which can be a good thing.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Interesting Article Regarding Today's Retail World!

I do not believe the economy is as healthy as it's made out to be. And retailing is on a rollercoaster as people permanently change the way they are shopping. I think more people will be losing their jobs with store closures and layoffs always a possibility. 

If a border tax is ever implemented on imports from outside the U.S., I suspect that will result in more store closures and layoffs as it's the quarterly botttom line that drives the retail business model.

I don't care what happens to Macy's or Target. Those are not stores I like. I do not shop at Pennys or the U.S. Sears department stores either. I can't remember the last time I visited a Barnes and Noble store either.

Amazon may be devouring retailers but their Canadian version is lame and I don't shop from either the American or CDN website.