Honored Contributor

Re: “In this Day Of Age”

@Pook wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Who really cares!!  It could be a regional thing from where she grew up as there are many everywhere.  Obviously, it seems those posting understood what she was saying!   Why would any of the host's bosses neglect their real duties to correct every little thing a host does or says?  Waste of time!!!  How would  any of us like to be corrected constantly for things that do not really have any effect on the outcome of their job?

@Pook It is their duty to correct people who don't know common language.  It certainly is their job.  And if you don't want to be corrected constantly, learn something!  

If you are wrong, you should appreciate being corrected and thankful someone took the time to help you out!  You owe them a lot because they keep you from sounding foolish or uneducated.

Where did you find those job descriptions  for the host;s supervisors???  I did not think the public had access to them!!

@Pook As a proponent of people understanding words and their meaning, I like this definition:

A supervisor is an individual immediately in line after management who is responsible for monitoring and regulating a company’s staff in their performance of delegated duties.

What do you think a supervisor does?  

Super Contributor

Would anyone care if this were Courtney or, perhaps Mary Beth? 🤔 I highly doubt it lmbo. Seems all we can't wait to do on here is be critical of a certain host (guessing who it is).
Respected Contributor

Makes me crazy when a host says " You can get this for a nine dollar bill."There is no such bill in American currency. Or she will use another nonexistent currency amount.

Honored Contributor

@DooneyGal2 wrote:
Would anyone care if this were Courtney or, perhaps Mary Beth? 🤔 I highly doubt it lmbo. Seems all we can't wait to do on here is be critical of a certain host (guessing who it is).

@DooneyGal2 I would care.  I don't even know who they are referring to here, but yes, I would care. 

Honored Contributor

Where did you find those job descriptions  for the host;s supervisors???  I did not think the public had access to them!!

@Pook As a proponent of people understanding words and their meaning, I like this definition:

A supervisor is an individual immediately in line after management who is responsible for monitoring and regulating a company’s staff in their performance of delegated duties.

What do you think a supervisor does?  

@Sooner  I know really well what a supervisor does - I was a supervisor for 19 years and one of the things in the various  trainings I attended was not to nit pick things that have  no correlation to the end results of a job!!  That is common sense and usually every there knew that already!!  The only ones who didn't were those that were power hungry and wanted to throw their title around!!  

We all have so many things that could be complained about but have no bearing on the job we are doing!!  So if that keeps those few that find fault with something so harmless and it keeps them from purchasing what they might want then that is their flaw.  It reminds me of the school tattle who was always running to the teacher with such nonsense!!

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Are you kidding? They post them of their own free will on LinkedIn.

Honored Contributor

@Pook To me correct use of the English language is a requirement for an on-air job.  To not know is a mistake that is equivalent to a secretary who can't spell or is rude on the phone.

It isn't picky, is correcting something wrong. It is equivalent to a company building appliances that don't work.  It is because they accept shoddy work. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner   Apples and oranges comparison because the goal and end result for a secretary is error free grammar and spelling as well as to answer phones politely but the end goal of the hosts is sales and these "offenders"  probably are achieving their goals!!!   Nit picking about such non essential things could be considered harrassment since not necessary to sell items and supervisors who do that could be in trouble and setting themselves and employers up for a lawsuit against employer for allowing it.  I was also a shop steward for 20 years.

Esteemed Contributor

Using incorrect phrases makes the hosts look stupid, which they are not.  If that is okay with TPTB at QVC, well then, that speaks volumes to me about how QVC wants to be represented.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I sang the Supremes' "Stop in the Name of Love" as "Stop in the Neighborhood" for almost five years until someone finally corrected me. That's all that's going on here. 

During the live shows everyone is too busy to deal with that kind of mistake. I'm sure the hosts and vendors review each show afterwards with QVC staff, and even then the mistake might not be caught. 

On a movie production set there's a person whose only job is making sure the actors get every word right and keeping track of any changes made. QVC hosts are extremely limited in what they can say, but the shows are not scripted.

On a live show of any kind, the pros know how to handle their goofs (because everyone makes mistakes) and keep themselves from laughing over what they said*.

It's just part of the job.

*The Carol Burnett Show and Johnny Carson were exceptions. Remember how they were always cracking up?