Regular Contributor

Re: In the kitchen w diet…

@Trinity11 Anyone over the age of 40 who lost a significant amount of weight usually lost a lot of muscle and the face usually looked a bit gaunt. 

Yes! I'm 59, I do not look healthy at all. In fact, people I've not seen in months are startled by my appearance re weight loss. It's such a slippery slope. 

Honored Contributor

@Irmasdc wrote:

@Trinity11 Anyone over the age of 40 who lost a significant amount of weight usually lost a lot of muscle and the face usually looked a bit gaunt. 

Yes! I'm 59, I do not look healthy at all. In fact, people I've not seen in months are startled by my appearance re weight loss. It's such a slippery slope. 

Yes @Irmasdc , I mentioned about losing muscle in my previous response.

Weight loss surgery seems to be a slippery slope. I have many peeps in my life that have had it. No one has been able to keep the weight off. And it was not for lack of trying. Sounds like a conspiracy theory but I believe since most of our food is made in a lab and purposely made to be addictive, our nation is overweight and obese. The chemicals and additives, the environment too leads to weight gain. And genetics don't help either. I have the obesity gene and I have had to restrict calories even as far back as a child. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 

Not to continue "off topic" but....

Your post made me feel a little better about what my parents endured.  That was MANY years ago, but, apparently, not much has changed.  

Honestly, until they were living with me and aging, I never thought much about it.  My father would buy "sugar free" apple pies and believe they were OK.  My mother didn't eat enough to keep a bird alive.  

Thinking back to the insulin injections, I wonder how in the world they managed.  I have a feeling it was hit or miss.  Nothing premeasured....drawing it from a vial.  Who knows if it was the right amount!

My mother could hardly see, but, you know, not ONE doctor along the way connected the dots of diabetes, heart disease, kidney failure and failing vision.

I realize people need to be proactive, but, my parents came up in a time when a doctor gave you a pill or shot, and that was about it.

The only good thing that came of it all was I became a very careful eater...very low carbs, no sugar, no artificial sweetners.  I check all labels.

You are right, it is a brutal disease that can destroy your entire body.

Hoping you enjoy many years of healthy living!

Regular Contributor

@Trinity11 

while in the waiting 6mo before surgery (insurance rules) I had to see nutritionists, psychiatrists, dieticians and could not gain more than 5lbs. Lose all you can and they want you to try but if you're more than 5lbs you're out. Nicotine was another immediate out. I went thru the 6mo with several others to watch 1 of them have her IVs removed on surgery day bc they blood tested us and she was positive for nicotine. Talk about disappointment! I too carry the obesity gene along with 60% of women in my family, even my 23&me stated I am in the population of those who carry excess weight. I would do anything to turn back time, to listen to the No you don't need that people, but I'm left at least with being alive. Even that was questionable at one point. I haven't had solid food since July 2020. I understand David's food obsession/addiction completely but you said something that unfortunately is correct, the weight creeps back. Before surgery I ate any and everything so obviously I was eligible, after surgery I am still eating any thing I can with the highest calorie count, carb count, sugar content. I've only got until July 9th to maintain my weight. If I'm under the goal they want the feeding tube put back. I don't want to hear the constant numbers on food. 
*yes I'm aware this is only my experience and there's 1000's of people who have good luck. I fell in the 1% failure margin... 

Esteemed Contributor

Diabetes runs in my family, Grandmother, Mother, oldest Brother. As a result, my oldest brother had diabetes with severe complications: two heart attacks, kidney damage, about 50 lbs. overweight. He just couldn't lose the weight, and the end was horrible. 

I have two brothers left: one older and one younger. The youngest has no problem, buy my older is pre-diabetic and always watches his weight and glucose. I'm the same. I am 5 lbs. lighter than my good weight and I allow only a 5 lb. gain always. I watch all carbs and processed foods. 

Something about David. Unfortunately, David carried his weight in the worst way ...belly fat. Belly fat is the worst kind of fat. If you carry it in your belly, it means you have fat around your organs, kidney, liver, bladder, lungs, heart. David had a fat belly, and I'm happy it's gone.

My family ate poorly and diabetes didn't arrive until their fifties. When you're young, you can get away with lots. When you get old, you pay the price.

Valued Contributor

@betteD wrote:

Do people, us all, know if David or other hosts, read customer comments?  I know David has a facebook page, I don't follow, but does anyone on there talk straight with him in the comments?  

I can't imagine David doesn't have some inkling of how customers feel about his antics.

Like the saying "CURIOSITY KILLS THE CAT"

I would feel if the host don't read these comments surely a friend or relative does . I would  really want to know how customers feel about me presenting something . I think you have to have broad shoulders and really only worry about sales and how corporate feels. Lately things get removed very fast if not kind,protecting  what viewers are seeing while watching certain hosts.

New Contributor

I would hope so, but I doubt it.

Trusted Contributor

"Big Bite Steve" should start calling David "Diet David".

Then maybe David would stop calling Steve that. 

Regular Contributor

@CoffeeNut that's hilarious!
Honored Contributor

David deserves whatever accolades regarding losing weight that he receives.... but, and David needs to heed this, no one responds well to preaching regarding anything!!  I have watched my weight my whole life and have been an active member of TOPS, Weight Watchers, various weight loss programs, Doctor's various diets and finally after gaining a lot of weight during the year I lost both my parents.... Diabetes.

I went to the classes offered me and learned a LOT regarding carbs, sugar, salt, etc.  I systematically lost roughly 70 lbs.  by upping better proteins, cutting simple carbs, sticking to the right amount of complex carbs, no sugar, limited sugar free items, smaller portions and exercise (whatever we can do!) .  

Yes, David has done very well, and I congratulate him especially because I know how excruciatingly difficult it is.  But David, we've all really had enough preaching and until you've earned the degree (and the right) to tell people how to do this, just stick to your lane and keep personally doing well, believe us, that's really good enough.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*