Trusted Contributor

If you should get a call from Apple telling you...

...that your computer is being compromised by computers from Russia, hang up, it's a scam. I didn't believe him and told him so, saying how do I know you aren't a fraud. He told me to go to Apple Support, see the number and he'd call me back at the same number. In the meantime, I called Apple to report it while he was trying to call me back. (call waiting)

Takes all kinds...

Respected Contributor

Re: If you should get a call from Apple telling you...

Did you get through to a live person at Apple?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Omg...that's funny.   And it's not a new scam, I've been getting those calls from "Microsoft" for many years.  Now I just hang up before they read their script but it was always  "your computer is compromised, please call Microsoft at this number".  Ridiculous.  

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

...that your computer is being compromised by computers from Russia, hang up, it's a scam. I didn't believe him and told him so, saying how do I know you aren't a fraud. He told me to go to Apple Support, see the number and he'd call me back at the same number. In the meantime, I called Apple to report it while he was trying to call me back. (call waiting)

Takes all kinds...

Those calls can be relentless, I once had 14 calls from “ Apple “ in one day. If you Google these calls you can see they are a scam.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I did get thru to Apple and yes, they said it was a fraud.

I get the same calls from MS abt my system being out of date, I answered a few yrs ago, but haven't since.

Trusted Contributor

When he called me back, even tho he told me he'd be calling from Apple Support, the number wasn't even near. At that time, I was talking to AS.

I might say talking to Support on my Mickey Mouse landline and couldn't hear most of what they were saying.

Ain't technology grand? Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I always tell the Microsoft people that call that I do not own a computer, lol.

Respected Contributor

I got that call multiple times and got tired of it. The next call I told the scum bag guy I had been in Russia and it was me accessing my phone. Then he mentioned other countries and I told him I traveled there too. Then he got really irate and demanded that I tell him where the country Jordan was located, which I did, and then he started calling me a liar and then added a few curse word adjectives like f###### liar. I told him he was not a nice CS rep to talk that way to customers and hoped our call wasn't being recorded for training purposes because he would be seriously reprimanded. He pitched a real fit then while I was laughing so hard. He hung up. That was very satisfying somehow.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@riley1 wrote:

I always tell the Microsoft people that call that I do not own a computer, lol.

I've done that, too!

Also, if they mention Windows, told them we just had the windows in our house replaced and they're fine. 

Sometimes told scammers to hold on - I'd set the phone down and walk away for awhile until they figured out I wasn't coming back, LOL.

Ahhh, the good old days before call blocking.Woman Very Happy

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

I’ve had such things on my older I pad and texts on phone. Even took the phone to Verizon where they told me it was a scam. I told my son and he said they do that all the time it’s a scam. 

Then I fussed with my son for not warning me!