Contributor

Re: If you should get a call from Apple telling you...

I received a call from Apple a number of years ago, warning me that my computer had been compromised.  I, stupidly, spoke with this person for quite awhile until I became suspicious.  I called my Apple store in Walnut Creek, and the representative there told me, " WE NEVER CALL YOU".... LESSON LEARNED.

Honored Contributor

My DH and I are suddenly getting a scam "warning" all in red popping up on our computer screens, saying an attempt has been made to hack into them and to contact Microsoft immediately on the number given.

This shows up as a large red screen, covering just about everything else.  You cannot click on the X in the corner to close it and, even if you shut your PC down, it's still there when you reboot.

The only way to get rid of it is to open up Task Manager and close the browser from there.

There are so many nasty scammers out there.  Why don't they use their talents to do something that will benefit people instead of being so despicable?

Respected Contributor

@Venezia I had the same thing happen about 4 years ago. I had no idea how to delete the message. I called Best Buy and rather than tell me the simple fix, they acted like it would be time consuming to search for the problem and to bring it to them. If course I walked out with a new computer (needed one anyway) but at least the old one was cleaned up. I wish I was more knowledgeable then. 

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

...that your computer is being compromised by computers from Russia, hang up, it's a scam. I didn't believe him and told him so, saying how do I know you aren't a fraud. He told me to go to Apple Support, see the number and he'd call me back at the same number. In the meantime, I called Apple to report it while he was trying to call me back. (call waiting)

Takes all kinds...

I also get a lot of emails that are supposedly from Apple but are just scams.  I don't open them. I put them in my junk folder, check the sender without opening it, and block them.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apple phishing emails can be forwarded to:

reportphishing@apple.com

I always forward, then delete any I get.

ETA: Changed wording 

Honored Contributor

@riley1      I do that too.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info. 

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I’ve had such things on my older I pad and texts on phone. Even took the phone to Verizon where they told me it was a scam. I told my son and he said they do that all the time it’s a scam. 

Then I fussed with my son for not warning me!

@1Snickers 

The ftc website tells you the latest scams......

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-spot-avoid-and-report-tech-support-scams

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/scam-alerts

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

I always tell the Microsoft people that call that I do not own a computer, lol.

LOL  I do that too!  And the funny thing is that one time, after I said that, the guy said "yes, you do".  Hahahaha  I just hung up on him.  

Honored Contributor

I have been getting these calls from Apple and from Microsoft all the time too---never answer, but block them on my landline as well as my cell. annoying jerks!! there should be a special place in h*e*ll for these people!!!