Trusted Contributor

Re: If you ever want to reign in your Q or HSN spending habits.

What helps me is to put all orders on check order, do not charge any items, no matter how "great" , I find in the begining I charged a lot of things that I either did not need or ended up returning. 

Also READ reviews, reviews , good reviews and bad reviews HELP as they explain the problem with the item.  This helps me determne if an item can be passed.  Also, wait and see if in 2-3 to even a week if you still want the item, if I do then I switch it to a credit card, if I don't I cancel the order and somoene on wait lists gets the item shipped to them.

Another thing that helps me, RETURN items that don't work for you.  I wait and ship back as much as I can as one package.  I used to ship things back seperatly but now I try and put as many items that can be sent back under the same catergory. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I've reignied it in now. That's how I grieved my Dad's passing. It's been 13 1/2 months.  Wow, feels like longer. 

Esteemed Contributor

@IEscapedLosAngeles Not a hoarder compared to those on the series.  I do like to have choice though in some things.  I go through things every year and donate what I don't need or want. 

I will leave L.A. soon and will miss her dearly.  I've been here for her golden era and I take that with me. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

Los Angeles brought me the Man in my life, but I feel it took several years off my Mothers life and probably a few off of mine. Good luck in your new space. I happily moved to the mid-west to be closer to my man. I am very happy for the first time in a long time. Smiley HappyHeart

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got serious last week and took a hard look at my finances and made out a budget for the rest of the year, to include upcoming house expenses like roof repairs, electrical and plumbing work, vet bills (this year, my little boy kitten joins the other three as a feline senior citizen), plus my own dental and medical. I'm keeping fingers crossed that the car behaves.

I also took a hard look around me and realized that whatever I needed, I quite possibly already owned. You may know the concept of "shop your closet" to rediscover clothes and shoes you've forgotten you own so you don't buy more? I'm now shopping my house. The basement, the storage bins, nooks and crannies whre I've stashed stuff, the shelves--I've recently saved myself a tidy sum by discovering either the very thing I needed or something that would work.

I'm combining this approach with a moratorium on Q/HSN buys as part of my frugality and financial control program. I considered waiting until Lent (no offense to those who don't observe), but decided to start now on my no-buy policy. By the time Easter rolls around in mid-April, most of my Easy Pays will be paid off (not a high total, but it adds up), and I will have some funds in the budget for a couple of items in my wish list--if I still want them.

I know people refer to a dynamic of getting rid of something when you buy a new item of the same type, like a piece of clothing, but if that article wasn't good enough to keep, why did you still have it? If it was good enough, why are you buying the new one? The impulse to purchase is the problem; finding space to put the acquisitions is only a result.

Just a few thoughts.

Esteemed Contributor

Watching last weeks episode of My 600 LB life, the woman about 10 Lug bags.

Trusted Contributor

I don't have a problem with spending on QVC and I don't watch HSN or any other TV shopping channel.

I only like a few brands on the Q and I only buy a little bit. You can't wear a million shirts or peices of jewelry.