Esteemed Contributor

Re: IS THE Q TALK FORUM LOSING POSTERS?

I stopped posting for a year and a half because I got so tired of all the snarkiness, sarcasm and mean-spirited posts.  Some people could make an argument out of anything!  The boards had been redone, and some of the more contentious posters went to another forum/board that a poster created, I guess so they could argue some more, or talk about politics, or whatever.  

But I found just before I stopped, and now that I came back, there seemed to be fewer and fewer discussions about really interesting subjects, like current events, etc.  We used to have very long threads with lots of people weighing in on things like the Ebola outbreak, climate change, and a lot of things that really didn't have to evoke arguments or politics, but someone always did.  So when the moderators started being more strict on those kinds of things, (and I don't blame them, because this after all is a shopping channel board and is given to us to use by QVC) a lot of people who enjoyed real, substantive discussions apparently left.

I still enjoy coming here to post again, but it really isn't like it used to be -- the good parts I miss - the bad parts I don't... 

Honored Contributor

@kittymomNC  You're right.  It went from a free for all to a place where nothing of substance could be discussed.

It's very frustrating, and yes, it makes it kind of boring.  It seems there are endless lists of who died, is dying, or may die. That seems to be the new excitement, which is really pretty pathetic.

Respected Contributor

Compared to HSN's forums, this place is hoppin'!

Honored Contributor

People come and go as the subject discussed appeal to them.   We lose some; we gain some.   Seems about the same to me. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@AJW I agree that there are fewer posters but I think it is because there are so many topics getting poofed that it becomes mundane.I really miss the old board where the discissions could get heated but it sure was interesting...oh the good old days

Honored Contributor

I think it has to do more with the fact that all the deliberately vicious host-bashing threads that were frequently and routinely posted in Q Talk are poofed quickly now. Posters have to sneak them in on other forums and try to fly under the radar. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon That's exactly how I feel ...so tired of hearing only sad news about all of those who have passed away.I would like some spirited conversations again but some people are a little too sensitive for that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've seen this question posed, and the complaints about moderation, etc., since I first started posting here.   I do think some people didn't want to learn to navigate the new platform, but we've also seen new posters show up over time, so we've lost some and gained some.    I also think many of us no longer choose to start our own threads...  and one of the reasons is the predictable few who seem to like to show up just to try and take the OP or the OP's topic "down a notch" -- as though it's some sort of jolly triumph to criticize or attempt to diminish and mock the value of the OP or the subject at hand.   This sort of thing, that we see all the time, might have been mitigated by the "ignore user" feature which was omitted with the new platform.   Now, everyone has to see all the posts, and it's probably tiresome to try and deal with it...  so posters give up and stop creating interesting threads or getting involved in them when they're started.   This is where moderation fails...  it seems to me the posters can see certain patterns with certain people who "take down" thread after thread, but those offending posters are allowed to continue the destructive patterns.   So be it...  QVC has decided, and in my opinion the moderators aren't to be blamed since it's not their decision to make.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@faeriemoon That's exactly how I feel ...so tired of hearing only sad news about all of those who have passed away.I would like some spirited conversations again but some people are a little too sensitive for that.

On the bright side, there are threads on CC about your favorite historical figure!!!!  Woman LOL

Not!!!

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I've seen this question posed, and the complaints about moderation, etc., since I first started posting here.   I do think some people didn't want to learn to navigate the new platform, but we've also seen new posters show up over time, so we've lost some and gained some.    I also think many of us no longer choose to start our own threads...  and one of the reasons is the predictable few who seem to like to show up just to try and take the OP or the OP's topic "down a notch" -- as though it's some sort of jolly triumph to criticize or attempt to diminish and mock the value of the OP or the subject at hand.   This sort of thing, that we see all the time, might have been mitigated by the "ignore user" feature which was omitted with the new platform.   Now, everyone has to see all the posts, and it's probably tiresome to try and deal with it...  so posters give up and stop creating interesting threads or getting involved in them when they're started.   This is where moderation fails...  it seems to me the posters can see certain patterns with certain people who "take down" thread after thread, but those offending posters are allowed to continue the destructive patterns.   So be it...  QVC has decided, and in my opinion the moderators aren't to be blamed since it's not their decision to make.

I agree, @dooBdoo. There are "those" who routinely arrive to do their best to use the OP as a punching bag for lolz,and there are those who see that person X, whom they greatly dislike, has started a thread, so time to trot by that thread, and any thread they start or comment in, and whiz in their cornflakes just cos'.

Posters who have been here awhile know who whizzes on who, but others don't and therein lies the rub at times. But I think eventually it starts to become obvious to most people.

And I agree about the patterns. The moderators seem to have been instructed not to deal with that; not their fault, but...dang.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all