Honored Contributor

Re: IS THE Q TALK FORUM LOSING POSTERS?

[ Edited ]

BalletBabe wrote:

happygolfcartrider wrote:

When one makes a true statement it is what they believe whether others agree or not. Woman HappyHeart My truth may be that a host is awful and I say so BUT that is not acceptable so I say I love the host. That is what people want on these threads.Woman HappyHeart

I would rather say nothing, then say I like a host that I cannot stand.  I think very few hosts are loved as in the olden days.  Personally, I hardly watch at night anymore.   The same host is on every night.  I swear she works 80 hrs a week.  The only host I cannot watch at all.   The variety is also lacking.  Shoes, shoes, shoes.  BORING!  Did I mention to many shoes???  

I agree with you about saying nothing...  I can't imagine why I'd come to any forum and post disingenuous comments.   There are many ways to offer actual constuctive criticism, but for some reason we see lots of folks who don't seem to see the difference between that and personal insults.   I like this quote, and I think it's accurate: 

"Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit — the parallel powers of your heart and mind — better than how you give feedback."  ~Maria Popova, writer and critic

(O/T, I hope you're doing well, @BalletBabe!  I remember your earlier comments, and continue to send positive thoughts your way.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Moonchilde wrote:

@dooBdoo, I see "creative" whines all the time.  People who say they were "just being/trying to be helpful/give good advice" when in reality they were being personally rude and deliberately, with calculation, cruel to a poster, and they could easily have given the gist of their "advice" in far different terms and still have expressed their point - if they had actually wanted to do that.  Incredibly "unnecessary" and "unkind" without question. But THEY were "victims" of QVC's "evil" overmoderation. LOL.

"Creative whines!"   How funny! 😁  Yes, I'm afraid that's what they are.   To be fair, sometimes I think the posters genuinely don't realize what they did, but in other cases there's no doubt, there's no gray area.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

It's their forum and they can do what they want, I'll make that disclaimer.

But, I went from a daily poster to way less.  I figure I am a grown woman, and don't need some faceless "moderator" deciding MY post is "inappropriate, unkind, argumentative" or whatever is the term du jour.  I think I get the rules.

My own personal decision is that I find it childish and insulting.  So, I just skip it a lot.  And it keeps me away from the website in general.  As will their reruns in the night when I often watch.

Business decisions! 

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

This thread is starting to lose my interest, getting to wordy and boring. Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

And not every difference of opinion is an "attack."  A very great amount of the strife on these forums is caused by those who believe every post that doesn't totally agree with what they have said, or that disagrees with them, is an "attack." There are posters who turn a discussion with differing opinions into a battleground, and make it personal forever after, because they are positive they are being personally attacked, and consequently pre-emptively "attack" and/or snipe at everyone they believe has ever "attacked" them, forever going forward. If disagreements stayed disagreements, and the disagreements stayed within individual threads, this would be a much less snarly place.

@Moonchilde, you nailed it here. Some hold on to what they perceived as personal slights as if they were jewels, bringing them out and dusting them off every chance that they get.

@suzyQ3 some absolutely do - it's the only topic some talk about.

@Moonchilde@suzyQ3@Mj12

I know.  I understand being confused or surprised when threads/posts are removed, but continuing to return and bemoan the fact is a puzzling pattern.   We probably have to take the anecdotes with a grain of salt, somewhat.   I don't even read or post here as much as I used to, but just in recent weeks I've seen several instances of unusual accounts of "inappropriate deletions."  

In one case, a poster scolded someone for a standards violation, sarcastically telling them to read the standards; then the scolder went another forum and bumped up a thread from 2015 (a clear standards violation); then the scolder appeared on another thread to complain that her posts were removed for no reason.   In another case, I was reading a thread in which a poster listed 2 hyperlinks, one to merchandise on Amazon and another to Wiki.   When I came back to the thread, that post was removed (reason:  link to retailer), and the poster was upset with the moderators and claimed the only thing she posted was a Wiki link.  

To be clear, I saw these by happenchance, yet there were 2 of them in a span of a couple of weeks...  and that makes me wonder how often the stories we read, blaming the moderators, are slightly different from what actually happened.   Frankly, I see a lot of things deleted that seem odd to me, things I didn't think were even close to being a violation...  but if we want to complain, we at least should be honest about what happened.  (After all, the moderators still have the deleted threads/posts, so they can look at them and review exactly what did happen.)

@dooBdoo

Oh yes, the mods are really after any type of links to another retailer, and what's funny, is even if QVC does not sell the product ---  one time someone posted a link which had a coupon for a grocery store item nothing QVC sold, yet the post was deleted!!!!.....COME ON QVC use some common sense!!!! 

And never ever mention the retailer whose name begins with an "A"....it appears it's become QVC's arch rival.....and interview with a Q exec was asked about this retailer and his response was, "well you'll like them if you like cheap merchandise" (and he wasn't talking about price) and when QVC's clothing sales declined....they thought some of the Q customers had gone to the A retailer because they had just started selling apparel, however, a survey of Q customers proved them wrong when they found out Q customers bought things like dog food and cat litter and not apparel.....Q doesnt understand their merchandise is boring and repetitive, all of Q's designers have the same style, and Q's prices are higher than local retailers---they need to stop comparing their clothing to expensive boutiques or Lord & Taylors, Nordstrom, Sakes etc etc ...plus inconsistent sizing and a decline in their quality are the REAL reasons apparel sales were down...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

When one makes a true statement it is what they believe whether others agree or not. Woman HappyHeart My truth may be that a host is awful and I say so BUT that is not acceptable so I say I love the host. That is what people want on these threads.Woman HappyHeart

I would rather say nothing, then say I like a host that I cannot stand.  I think very few hosts are loved as in the olden days.  Personally, I hardly watch at night anymore.   The same host is on every night.  I swear she works 80 hrs a week.  The only host I cannot watch at all.   The variety is also lacking.  Shoes, shoes, shoes.  BORING!  Did I mention to many shoes???  

I agree with you about saying nothing...  I can't imagine why I'd come to any forum and post disingenuous comments.   There are many ways to offer actual constuctive criticism, but for some reason we see lots of folks who don't seem to see the difference between that and personal insults.   I like this quote, and I think it's accurate: 

"Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit — the parallel powers of your heart and mind — better than how you give feedback."  ~Maria Popova, writer and critic

(O/T, I hope you're doing well, @BalletBabe!  I remember your earlier comments, and continue to send positive thoughts your way.)

Thank you so much!   That means a lot!   

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@happygolfcartrider wrote:

Belatedly noticed this in your post, @dooBdoo -

For some few posters, these forums are all about disingenuousness, "cluelessness", and trying to present themselves as who/what they are not. It sometimes cracks me up that they think it's working. Nah 👹

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

As I have mentioned previously!  I like the boards for product information. Another part of these board I enjoy - I can ask about sizing on a particular item.  Yesterday I was contemplating on buying a boho skirt from the Linea Collection - my first.  I knew the boho skirt was a very popular item.  I like the fact I could ask about sizing.  I received good information from people who had actually purchased the boho skirt.  The information assisted me in making my purchase which saves me a lot of time and money. Thank you Linea ladies.

I am bascially bored with host bashing and I am glad the moderators stop the bashing by deleting the posts.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't post as frequently as I use to. It has nothing to do with the mods or with products being differed I just do not have time. So many other things take priority.

When I do come on the boards I tend to look at Q Talk, TV and Movies, and Beauty. If I see something interesting to me I respond.

I re-thought my earlier statement and realized that perhaps my interest has dwindled. I have only made three purchases so far this year. A Liz Marvelush (sp) Shurg, Tarte Maneater mascara and I just purchased the LG new Hydrating Quench Foundation duo. Meanwhile over on HSN, I have purchased several items. Oragami Shelves, Samantha Brown Luggage, Andrew Lessaman Vitamins. Their product mix has really grabbed my attention so early into the new year.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo

As always you are balanced and insightful!  You really are such a valuable addition to this place. 

However, I do place a bit of the blame on moderators who have the power to make judgement calls on an hourly basis. I think a few have a bit of trigger finger, deleting posts that barely get off the ground, and that's just frustrating. The fact that we cannot comment at all about any host or vendor unless its in glowing terms is just weird. I mean, that is talking about QVC on the QVC forum. We can't discuss much of what goes on in the external world and we can't discuss what goes on at QVC. What else is there to talk about?

I also continue to see a lack of balance in the moderation of this forum with those who "defend" QVC allowed to be rude and aggressive. I rarely post on QVC's forum anymore. Partly due to the lack of compelling topics (I agree about the daily obituatury posts) and partly due to the news of the day being of such importance that I spend my commentary time elsewhere. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat