Valued Contributor

Re: IS IT "AGE DISCRIMINATION"?

Dan recently posted he was let go because he was not "Hollywood" enough. Antonella posted a few days ago that when she was let go her sales were very high and her quality reviews were great and she beleived she was let go due to one person not liking her. 

I don't think it was a personal decision why hosts are being let go- or a business decision. I think it is a creative decision and what QVC envisions for the future. 

Honored Contributor

It seems that QVC wants only those hosts who can model their clothing lines while presenting.  So much emphasis is focused on what the hosts are wearing.  

Of course if you have a solid niche, like David and his kitchen stuff, you're secure. I love David and I'm happy for his successful "health journey", but I do believe there's more to it than he said.  QVC is a business and they want their representatives to look a certain way. 

~ house cat ~
Contributor

@Tori3569 I have worked for major corporations my entire career. I have to disagree with you regarding employees being let go due to age. And yes major corporations either have legal departments or employ legal firms. They get around age discrimination by offering "packages" - in exchange for receiving monetary packages one signs a waiver not to ever say a negative word about their former company or file a lawsuit against said company. Just sayin'

Honored Contributor

Maybe it is an age thing----not discrimination per se--these people are no spring chickens and have health issues or family with health issues and maybe they were given a choice---and maybe this is a mutual agreement on their part too. but not because of their ages--I was a victim of age discrimination and after a little while, when I figured it out --- I quit--totally was because I was in my 50's and most the staff was much younger than me---not that I am defending the company ----but let's face it---being a loyal employee is no longer an important thing anymore--and we will NEVER know the juicy details. have a hard time when all this is taken so personal by customers---I have never had an attachment to anyone on TV shopping----good luck to them. It's the $$ baby!!!

Honored Contributor

I don't think its an age thing. There are older hosts there still. Not sure how they decide who goes and who stays...I know when my old company did it, they got rid of the part timers first, and then the last two were older and almost ready to retire....

Honored Contributor

Considering Shannon Smith 57 at HSN is gone, too, it's looking suspicious Qurate is thinking older hosts may be one of the reasons for their declining sales.  

It's obvious what hosts are not doing well.  I don't watch HSN much, so I don't know much about Shannon, but Carolyn and Dan?  

Respected Contributor

Shannon Fox and Lesley Ann Machado are in their 40s.

Honored Contributor

I think though tahat there are several other hosts that are 60 or in their 60's already..

Mary Beth

Jayne Brown

Leah

Jane Treacy

Pat James Dementri

I don't know if they all are 60 yet, but they are close, I know Mary Beth is because she and I are the same age, but the others are close as well. I don't know Dan or Carolyn's age, but am sure they are 60 or close to it as well..... 

Esteemed Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

I find it interesting that some of the same people who cheered layoffs at Twitter are bemoaning layoffs of their beloved hosts at QVC.

Twitter was a company that censored their political opponents and censored Drs and scientists during a world wide pandemic. Dan and Carolyn are well liked shopping host who never hurt a fly.

@Nancy Drew Those employees followed company policy at that time. You have no idea the level of their personal involvement in policy setting. As far as I know, they never hurt a fly either.

They worked for a unethical company. Enough said IMO

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

Yes it is , unless there is something we don't know behind the scenes. The company i worked for  , if you missed more work than was alloted by computer you were fired , it was all computerized.