Super Contributor

Does anyone get calls claiming to be the IRS and money is owed on back taxes??? I get these calls every once in a while and they ask for several thousand dollars for back taxes.  I knew it was a scam and told the guy I needed to call my accountant and verify this request and he hung up... Feel sorry for the folks who fall for this and send money.  Saw something on the news last night and said millions of $$$ are scammed... Please beware and do not send a dime...

Honored Contributor

I live in an area of the country heavily populated with retirees.  Every few weeks there is a story similar to this on our local TV station.  The IRS, the power company, whoever.  They want your money and they want it now, via your credit card, or there will be dire consequenses.  What is happening to our older population, of which I am one, do our brains start leaking out when we hit 65 or what?  You wouldn't have fallen for this 20 years ago, don't fall for it now. 

Valued Contributor

@depglass wrote:
They want your money and they want it now, via your credit card, or there will be dire consequenses.  What is happening to our older population, of which I am one, do our brains start leaking out when we hit 65 or what?  You wouldn't have fallen for this 20 years ago, don't fall for it now.
depglass...
Times have changed, this wouldn't have happened 20 years ago but I get your point.  I'm pretty astute, takes a lot to get anything past me but sure enough, the scammers are upping their game, that's for sure.  I really feel bad for those who are already elderly, they never had an opportunity to learn about these things and steer clear of them.  Would my mother or father, if they were still alive, know about this scam? No, they surely would not.
IRS scandal not withstanding, telemarketers are now using a "one ring and hang up" scam, trying to get people to call them back and then routing the call through companies that not only charge for routing the call but whose mission it is to keep you hanging on as long as possible while charges rack up on your bill faster than a New York minute. 
By the time you think you have things figured out the scammers are already sharpening their teeth on something new.  There's no way to get ahead of them, we're not as duplicitious as they are, but if we can stay in lock step then I consider us lucky.
Maria

Honored Contributor

The IRS never calls me....for one, I never answer my phone unless I know who is caling (thank heavens for caller ID!!).  And secondly, the IRS doesn't call, they send you a letter.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I live in an area of the country heavily populated with retirees.  Every few weeks there is a story similar to this on our local TV station.  The IRS, the power company, whoever.  They want your money and they want it now, via your credit card, or there will be dire consequenses.  What is happening to our older population, of which I am one, do our brains start leaking out when we hit 65 or what?  You wouldn't have fallen for this 20 years ago, don't fall for it now. 

Brains, like everything else in a body, don't work as well as they age and health issues do not affect everyone in the same way or on the same timeline. Some people turn gray at 28 and some at  58. Some women start menopause in their 30s and some in their 50s. Some people have hearing issues or dementia and some don't. Just because it isn't happening to you doesn't mean it's not a real issue for others. Saying, "you wouldn't have fallen for this 20 years ago, don't fall for it now," is like telling an older person with a walker, "you didn't walk so slowly 20 years ago, don't walk so slowly now." Or telling a person who has lost his hearing, "You didn't need me to repeat things 20 years ago, don't ask me to repeat them now."

Whenever I get frustrated with people who don't learn as quickly as I do or aren't as tech savvy as I am, I try to remind myself that someday I might not learn as quickly and I might be the person who isn't up to date on today's technology and have some sympathy. 

Respected Contributor

It's shocking how many people fall for these obvious scams.  The thing is, they are not always very old people.  Sometimes they are just gullible. They should follow my rule of not answering the phone unless I recognize the number or the ID.  I also have Nomorobo on my home landline, so any robo calls are stopped after the first ring.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

My late Dad had brain tumors & was home alone all day while Mom worked (yes, she went home midday to check on him).  He agreed to anything telemarketers were selling & Mom was constantly having to send things back with explanatory letter.  This was 30 years ago.  Please don't accuse people for being stupid when they're taken in by scams such as these.  Oh, BTW, it doesn't just happen to the elderly - Dad was only 50 & simply not responsible for his actions, through no fault of his own.

Esteemed Contributor

I actually had a call once from a supposed health center, and he actually asked me for my bank account number. When you get these calls, it helps to call your state Attorney General to alert them of the scams.

Super Contributor

Talk about scams... Got a call this week from a woman saying that my warranty on my car has expired.  I asked her what kind of car was she talking about and she said she didn't have that information.  So how could my warranty expire when she had not idea what kind of car it was.  When I started questioning her she hung up... These people who call all the time are a real pain and I get them all the time.  Went on the Do Not Call list and it still continues.     People beware - they are out there to scam all of us...

Honored Contributor

@WonderWoman01 wrote:

Talk about scams... Got a call this week from a woman saying that my warranty on my car has expired.  I asked her what kind of car was she talking about and she said she didn't have that information.  So how could my warranty expire when she had not idea what kind of car it was.  When I started questioning her she hung up... These people who call all the time are a real pain and I get them all the time.  Went on the Do Not Call list and it still continues.     People beware - they are out there to scam all of us...

LOL - I got a letter saying that the warranty was about to expire on my brand-new Ford truck!!!  I thought "WOW!  That was one short warranty!"  (I only bought the truck at the end of July.)

There's a company that routinely sends these letters out and DH and I are still getting them for vehicles we don't even own anymore.  So why would we care, if the warranty has expired?  Woman LOL