Honored Contributor

INDIVIDUAL GIFT PRICE LIMITS?

I'm noticing suggestions of gifting a Dooney or a gold bracelet or other expensive items. If you have many people to purchase gifts for, are they just trying to sell or do you spend that much on each person?

I know for Hanukkah the gifts are mostly for kids in the family, but I have friends who are paying off Christmas when the following Christmas rolls around.

Just wondering.

Honored Contributor

Re: INDIVIDUAL GIFT PRICE LIMITS?

@Shanus wrote:

I'm noticing suggestions of gifting a Dooney or a gold bracelet or other expensive items. If you have many people to purchase gifts for, are they just trying to sell or do you spend that much on each person?

I know for Hanukkah the gifts are mostly for kids in the family, but I have friends who are paying off Christmas when the following Christmas rolls around.

Just wondering.

nope,  we don't do that either,

Honored Contributor

i am not sure how many is "many?"

for my immediate family (children, s/o, mother, siblings, etc....) i do spend that much on gifts for christmas.

for a few friends, kids, or for hostess gifts, i dont spend that much.....i have more of an idea about what i want to spend on them, but i dont always stick to that amount if i find the perfect item.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I might spend that much for my husband and son (depending on what they want), but usually cap gifts for family and friends at $50 each. We also do a Pollyanna for the adults on my side of the family and those gifts are capped at $50 too. 

Esteemed Contributor

If I can be extravagant with someone I love, I am.  If I can be extravagant with that someone and know they smile in appreciation, I enjoy it.  Sometimes a gift of luxury feels good to me.

There are not many who fall into the category.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@ShanusMe?  You talking to me?

I grew up in a family still reeling from the effects of The Grfeat Depression and there are pieces of that time which have never gone away.  So, no, I do not give significant birthday or holiday gifts. I'm sure that not having children and living at least several hundred miles from any family ever since college graduation is also part of the reason I do not buy gold, Dooney's, expensive toys, etc. even today when I'm not economically depressed.  Checks work easily and are always gratefully accepted by nieces and nephews.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@ShanusMe?  You talking to me?

I grew up in a family still reeling from the effects of The Grfeat Depression and there are pieces of that time which have never gone away.  So, no, I do not give significant birthday or holiday gifts. I'm sure that not having children and living at least several hundred miles from any family ever since college graduation is also part of the reason I do not buy gold, Dooney's, expensive toys, etc. even today when I'm not economically depressed.  Checks work easily and are always gratefully accepted by nieces and nephews.

@millieshops   I get it. I wasn't old enough to be affected, but my folks were. They were frugal and generous at the same time. Growing up, I received expensive things, good clothes, jewelry but on special occasions and with a lot of bargain shopping involved. I have followed their lead, but for a different reason. I just don't want to spoil my GD where they expect bottomless pockets. I do gift cards, they're getting into minimal makeup (yay!) gifts, clothing, etc. My kids do not get gifts and do not gift us. 

Honored Contributor

We had a $50 limit for family members and we picked names--that was fun--but we have eliminated gifts all together because none of of really needs anything anymore--have 2 little kids that we buy for  they are with us-- ---in my personal fam, the hubs gives our kids,  ages 40 and 36, $100 bill. I take care of b-days ---my son gets a year of AAA and DD another $100. Hubs and I stopped giving each other anything years ago---no grands or I am sure all that would change!!

Honored Contributor

QVC lives in a fantasy Christmas world and I think a lot of people buy on ezpay and kick the can down the road 

Honored Contributor

I only give Christmas gifts to my grandchildren.  I give cash to my children and buy one gift a piece for the two ladies I help out.

My DH and I do not exchange gifts and I do not participate in any other gift exchanges with friends or family members.  We keep it simple.

Gift giving is not a big deal for us and we do not overspend.  I too, know people who spend thousands on gifts around the holidays.  Their choice, their money.