Honored Contributor

Re: INDIVIDUAL GIFT PRICE LIMITS?

@jackthebearI'm sure you're right, but there are also people who have fat wallets that shop QVC.  I know in my own family there used to be  a 1%er charging away on EZP --  probably still is.

I use EZP pretty much whenever it's attached to a specific item.  For me, it's not need.  I could always pay off the EZP in total, but why?  Nowadays it's only pennies when I leave the money in the bank an extra month or more, but they're my pennies!  In a strange way, just my knowing I already have a $30 or even a $200 EZPay bill on my charge makes me stop and think before buying something I truly  don't need.

Not much of my QVC purchases are for gifts, bt I know there are a few pieces of QVC decor in my livingroom friends are eyeing because they know I'm starting to wean my collections.   I bet they'll be disappointed when they find out which things my keeping which  includes the only 2 QVC items currently showing!

Valued Contributor

I think it just depends on the family. My family is comfortable but we only give gifts to the kids. No presents, gift cards or money for the adults.

Honored Contributor

Our family is small so everyone is gifted but we don't spend a lot...$1200 max on everyone.  I have a budget and stick to it.  It does get harder as the kids get older.

I put money back each week, save for 52 weeks and then start over for the next year.  I am saving for next Christmas now.  My savings year runs October - October.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus 

You are right....I was wondering the same thing....like what they even suggest for stocking stuffers---WOW!!!! 

And just like when they sell Christmas trees and a 3ft or 5t tree is $97 to $229 or more and the hosts and vendors are telling you to get one for your child's bedroom....I mean REALLY????...what happened to a $10 tree from Walmart or Target or Hobby Lobby for a child??????????

Only a few family/friends exchange gifts now (no young  children in the family) and we put a $25 limit on the gifts....Even when there were small kids in the family we did spend more on each other but not to the extent that QVC suggests....we didnt want to get depressed by debt caused by after Christmas bills...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It seems most are on the same page with spending. I didn't mean to be nosy, just curious because of Q's suggestions to buy 2 of something that's $100, for example, and give one to the hairdresser. What?!?!?

Honored Contributor

We have never given expensive Christmas gifts to each other, relatives or close friends. We would buy gifts for our own families and did gift our parents when they were alive My husband and I give my son a big check once a year, but that's a tax thing. No grandchildren to buy for.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  They do this every year... No matter what they're selling or how pricey it might be, they suggest it as just the PERFECT gift for everyone from the next door neighbors, to teachers, to the mailman, to your stylist, to the crossing guard and on and on and on... Silly... And yes, they're just selling and hoping we're all buying... both their nonsense and their merchandise...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I'm noticing suggestions of gifting a Dooney or a gold bracelet or other expensive items. If you have many people to purchase gifts for, are they just trying to sell or do you spend that much on each person?

I know for Hanukkah the gifts are mostly for kids in the family, but I have friends who are paying off Christmas when the following Christmas rolls around.

Just wondering.

@Shanus wrote:

I'm noticing suggestions of gifting a Dooney or a gold bracelet or other expensive items. If you have many people to purchase gifts for, are they just trying to sell or do you spend that much on each person?

I know for Hanukkah the gifts are mostly for kids in the family, but I have friends who are paying off Christmas when the following Christmas rolls around.

Just wondering.

The sales tactics they use are very effective when they have viewers believing they should be spending $100 on a friend, or buy one for yourself and one for the gift drawer. I don't know about you, but I don't have a gift drawer, and I know a lot of people, and they don't have one either. How about the buy one for your self and pick one up for the girl that does your nails, or the neighbor that brings in your mail, I don't do that either. 

The host is there to sell period. Sit back and really listen to what they say, and you will see how they plant subliminal thoughts that make many buy.

Valued Contributor

I didn’t even know until I was well into adulthood that people got more presents in their stocking.

Our were always filled with fruit and candy.
Respected Contributor

I stopped all that charging of Christmas Gifts years ago. I have my own budget for small family and a few friends and try to stick to it. I do buy gift cards for a few and see nothing wrong with that although I know a few people who say gift cards are same as exchange of cash and think that is tacky. Don’t have that many to buy for and either pay cash for their gifts or pay the bill in full upon receipt. Can’t imagine paying all those bills six or more months into the new year. I do treat myself and am able to buy what I want when I want it. I do enjoy tipping those who provide a service throughout the year. I am thinking about not tipping UPS driver this year because I read recently that the drivers are each given $1000 gift/bonus on December 24. That is a pretty nice bonus imo.