Honored Contributor

Re: IF YOU BEGIN A THREAD....

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I think the OP should not post teaser thread titles.  To be kind to everyone, post a title about what the thread really is about so if people don't have a lot of time they won't waste it opening threads they aren't interested in.

It's the kind thing to do.  Woman Happy

I agree.  The purpose of having a title is so we'll know what it's about.  Thread titles that are deliberately misleading or intended to be "cute" are annoying, IMO.  Cute is fine within the thread, but the title shouldn't be a guessing game.

I'm not a fan of teaser titles, either, @Sooner and @NYC Susan.   I prefer a more complete title that gives everyone a better idea of the actual subject matter.   Even though this site limits the length and truncates the title to some views, we still usually can find a way to make the title specific to subject matter.    I do think most posters (especially those new to posting on forums) don't do it on purpose and they change their style of thread title composition over time.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@dooBdoo

I think most of us (including me) breach netiquette at times, and the infractions are usually small and easily overlooked.

Something akin to propping your elbow on the dining table as you eat, while you have company.

The meal goes on, undisturbed.

But imagine removing your shoes and propping your bare feet up on the dining table while your company is eating.

I know some people no longer post here because of repeated 'foot in your face' type of netiquette infractions by just a very few posters.

@x Hedge  I would hope those folks would need a better reason to leave a forum. Maybe they just wanted to leave. One or two breaches of netiquette, especially by just a few,  doesn’t usually chase someone away, IMO. 

@Shanus,  She can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I seriously doubt that @x Hedge is referencing a few small instances.    I've seen it happen repeatedly, in the broad and unmissably conspicuous "foot in your face" style, and I also am aware of lovely, kind, intelligent, and interesting posters who stopped interacting here as a direct result.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I see it as pretty much a personal choice.

I generally heart people who respond to me.  I do not feel it necessary to write a personal thank you to everyone who responds.  If  someone makes a specific remark to me or asks me a question, of course I respond.

Two examples:

1 - I was critically ill for @ 3 months and thanked everyone individually who sent me well wishes.  I see those  personal notes of thoughtfulness about a specific personal issue.

A few months ago I posted about the death of a cat who was my Secret Keeper, and about whom I still cry several times a day.  I received so many thoughtful personal notes, I will never forget the kindness.  Again, they were personal notes of sympathy specific to my personal loss and I answered them all.

2 - If I started a thread 'How long has it been since you went to the beach?'  Or 'Do you wear mascara?'

I see threads like these as general questions of a non personal nature and think of the responses as general conversation. I don't feel the need to reply with an individual thanks, although I sometimes heart responses.

As I read through non personal threads, while the individual responses are of  interest, the individual thank you notes are specific to one person.  So, reading through a post with lots of replies and thank you notes gets a bit cumbersome.

Crawling down off the soapbox and going night-night now.

Best to all.

Eloquent, thought-provoking, and heartfelt, as usual, @Drythe.   I didn't know about all that you mentioned in #1 and I now have tears in my eyes, too...   (((gentle hugs and love))).❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I think the OP should not post teaser thread titles.  To be kind to everyone, post a title about what the thread really is about so if people don't have a lot of time they won't waste it opening threads they aren't interested in.

It's the kind thing to do.  Woman Happy

I agree.  The purpose of having a title is so we'll know what it's about.  Thread titles that are deliberately misleading or intended to be "cute" are annoying, IMO.  Cute is fine within the thread, but the title shouldn't be a guessing game.

I'm not a fan of teaser titles, either, @Sooner and @NYC Susan.   I prefer a more complete title that gives everyone a better idea of the actual subject matter.   Even though this site limits the length and truncates the title to some views, we still usually can find a way to make the title specific to subject matter.    I do think most posters (especially those new to posting on forums) don't do it on purpose and they change their style of thread title composition over time.

I agree that most posters don't do it on purpose, but some do.  I've seen posts that were deliberately intended to be misleading,  

Of course it's not always possible to come up with a completely thorough title, especially if someone is asking for advice about a complicated situation.  "My SIL is annoying!" (for example) could be about a lot of things, but at least it's somewhat of a head start.  (I'm not singling anyone out.  I have no idea if there's a thread with that title.)  And if someone is looking for a recipe or has a straightforward question, it's best if they simply state that in the title rather than being mysterious.  I don't know why some posters do that, but they do.

My problem is with titles that are so vague that they're devoid of meaning, and especially with those that are deliberately misleading.  It's not that difficult to provide at least an idea of a topic in just a few words.  As @Sooner said, the OP shouldn't use teaser titles.  It's not the biggest deal in the world, of course, and nothing that any of us would lose sleep over.  But I think it's a part of being considerate to other posters here.  :-)

Trusted Contributor

In general, if I begin a thread (rare, since my time here is so limited to follow through appropriately) I will at least heart the helpful replies pertaining to the topic and give one collective thanks to all. 

I feel that's only common courtesy. I wouldn’t ask others to do my internet research for me, in the first place... but any who especially went out of their way to bring me vital info, would get a special thanks for their efforts. 

I don't know why some begin (usually controversial) topics, never to return. Many do seem like pot-stirring, poorly written fiction, though. I don’t usually waste much time responding to them if I note the red flags. 

Trusted Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

i try to check back for about a day - i do use hearts when i agree or appreciate a response. i do not heart when i feel snark or an attempt to hijack my thread.

Agreed! There are a few here who hijack any topic and make it all about themselves. Or begin a long, drawn out chat with one other poster completely derailing the topic. I understand a quick “hi, how are you?” when bumping into a familiar poster - not talking about that. Long rambling dialogue completely off-topic that tends to kill threads for any but those couple of posters. Rude and obnoxious, disrespectful disregard for the OP and other posters to a thread. Why not just start their own separate chat thread? Or in some cases, a self-promotional blog. 

Esteemed Contributor

@loriqvc  Need your help, please. I'm trying to begin a new Thread. Went to "Community" then typed in the name of the Thread, but couldn't find the place to type the rest of the post. Nor could I find the place to click "Post". (Thought I could edit if I got the OP at least posted!)

Like other attempts, I'm thrown back to the listings of previous posts by others. What am I missing or doing wrong? TIA

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@loriqvc  Need your help, please. I'm trying to begin a new Thread. Went to "Community" then typed in the name of the Thread, but couldn't find the place to type the rest of the post. Nor could I find the place to click "Post". (Thought I could edit if I got the OP at least posted!)

Like other attempts, I'm thrown back to the listings of previous posts by others. What am I missing or doing wrong? TIA

Hi, @BirkiLady!   See if this helps, and if not please ask more questions:

First go into the sub-forum in which you want your thread to be posted.   In my example, I chose the "Q Talk" sub-forum.

Then, click/tap the words "NEW MESSAGE" at the top of the list of threads.

6B2B2A5C-E4AA-4897-9734-71A78417583E.jpeg

Then, enter the text of your subject line and also the text of your original post, and click/tap the word "POST."   

As mentioned earlier in this thread, if you see any pop-up suggestions for any words or text, just ignore those and don't click on any pop-ups. 

You can edit your original post and also you can edit the topic at any time after posting -- just click/tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner of your original post.

You also can delete your thread, after it's posted, as long as there are no replies.

15180550-AC35-4F3A-8DB6-B6194210F4E8.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo  "New Message" is what I had forgotten. DUH! That was a no-brainer. <face-palm> And, yes, when I completely ignore those lists of other's posts, I'm able to type my entire post. Viola!  Thanks so much. Should have tried it immediately after the directions were originally given to me. Smiley Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdooTried. Missed what happened. Hope I remember how to do it again!