Honored Contributor

Re: IF YOU BEGIN A THREAD....

Also, sometimes threads go in another direction, like two people start talking about something else entirely and so there's no reason for me to go back and comment or read.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

In the beginning I do, but after a few days I forget, unless I'm tagged.

Once the thread falls to the bottom of the page or the next page, I wouldn't necessarily know people are still discussing it.

@VaBelle35  When I sign in, I check notifications to see if there are mentioning my name specifically. 

Honored Contributor

I think the OP should not post teaser thread titles.  To be kind to everyone, post a title about what the thread really is about so if people don't have a lot of time they won't waste it opening threads they aren't interested in.

It's the kind thing to do.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

In the beginning I do, but after a few days I forget, unless I'm tagged.

Once the thread falls to the bottom of the page or the next page, I wouldn't necessarily know people are still discussing it.

@VaBelle35  When I sign in, I check notifications to see if there are mentioning my name specifically. 

@Shanus  So do I, but it's rare that every person who responds tags the OP.

I know I don't tag the OP when I respond.  I only tag someone if I am responding to a specific post by them in the conversation.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

If I start a thread I will go back to read, and may write a reply to a few responses. But I don't camp over it, writing an acknowledgement to everyone who wrote a post, day after day.

I'll also give hearts, which don't necessarily indicate agreement. I appreciate the time and effort in a thoughtfully written post, whether I agree with the poster's sentiments or not.

🚫   If the thread topic is derailed by a poster early in the conversation, I don't necessarily return at all.

I've had threads derailed by the very first reply here, and after a few of those I totally lost my enthusiasm for beginning new threads.

But after an OPs question has been answered and settled, I don't care which way the conversation ends up going. The thread has served it's purpose, and it's no longer a 'structured' discussion with a specific goal.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Isn’t there some type of etiquette that if you start a thread, the OP should check back periodly to acknowledge the replies? 

I’ve seen threads where the OP never returns and so many posters take time to post, research information, include photos, etc. 

How do you feel about this?

I guess you could say that it has made me think twice about replying to some questions. The Wellness forum is notorious for drive-by's asking for detailed advice and you never see them again. I have answered questions on newly diagnosed diabetics who never return and it has caused me to not be as enthusiastic in helping.

Respected Contributor

In my opinion, it is not necessary to acknowledge responses to most beginning threads. However, I feel  posters who start personal dilemma type threads should come back to say how things turned out. Or at least thank the *people who generously responded with suggestions and information.

*I think a general message of appreciation would be fine.

Honored Contributor

What gums up a thread is an OP who feels that it is necessary to thank or comment on each and every post in her thread. That just about doubles the length of the thread for no reason.

I usually use hearts to show that I am still reading my thread and will occasionally respond if I think it's called for.

Basically, I don't think too much about disappearing OPs. Who knows what might be going on with them?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo

I think most of us (including me) breach netiquette at times, and the infractions are usually small and easily overlooked.

Something akin to propping your elbow on the dining table as you eat, while you have company.

The meal goes on, undisturbed.

But imagine removing your shoes and propping your bare feet up on the dining table while your company is eating.

I know some people no longer post here because of repeated 'foot in your face' type of netiquette infractions by just a very few posters.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Pls don't do this, unless you have more significant info to share.  Thanking and acknowledging just gums the thread up.

@Peaches McPheeand all other posters :  I have thanked responses in one invidiual post such as "Thank you ladies for all your replies".  I have not thanked each post individually.  I just heart each response.   However, I was not aware that thanking posters "gums the thread up".

@San Antonio Gal  IMO, it doesn’t gum things up. You just heart or reply whenever you want...I do.