Esteemed Contributor

Re: IF YOU BEGIN A THREAD....

@BirkiLady wrote:

Seems like it's been so long since I started a thread, not sure I remember how! Hopefully, I've have been cognizant about responding to other posters comments both if the thread was started by me or throughout a conversation. If I've dropped the ball, my apologies. Seldom do I sign on until in the evening after dinner and memory isn't always on what happened on these threads from the day before. Life has higher priorities (no offense intended to anyone) in the world. Smiley Wink 

ETA: Just tried to start a new thread. Yes . . . have completely forgotten the procedure. Just kicked me back to a bunch of old threads. Guess I need help!!

@BirkiLady - To start a new thread, just scroll through the menu on the left and click the name of the forum where you want to post it, and then click the pink "NEW MESSAGE" button near the top of the page. Click "POST" when you're finished, and your new thread will appear. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

And then there are the posters who are good at starting threads knowing the subject will get people fired up and then purposely disappear, only posting again if the conversation isn’t contentious enough. 

@SunValley  Oh wow is that true! It burns me up. After I see a few threads by the same poster doing that, I just skip over them. 

@Shanus I may not skip them all, but I know what to expect. Sometimes the responses are pretty entertaining.

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

Seems like it's been so long since I started a thread, not sure I remember how! Hopefully, I've have been cognizant about responding to other posters comments both if the thread was started by me or throughout a conversation. If I've dropped the ball, my apologies. Seldom do I sign on until in the evening after dinner and memory isn't always on what happened on these threads from the day before. Life has higher priorities (no offense intended to anyone) in the world. Smiley Wink 

ETA: Just tried to start a new thread. Yes . . . have completely forgotten the procedure. Just kicked me back to a bunch of old threads. Guess I need help!!

@BirkiLady - To start a new thread, just scroll through the menu on the left and click the name of the forum where you want to post it, and then click the pink "NEW MESSAGE" button near the top of the page. Click "POST" when you're finished, and your new thread will appear. Smiley Happy

@BirkiLady, In addition to @loriqvc's excellent instructionsthumbs up gif.....  I wanted to add something since you mentioned that you tried to start a thread but were "kicked back to a bunch of old threads."   

This might be what happened to you...   when you begin to type the subject line of a new thread if you have "suggestions" turned on the system will try to offer you a list of existing thread titles.   

If you click on one of them, it will probably redirect you to that existing thread instead of filling in the subject line of your new message.

You can either just ignore the list of thread titles or you can turn off the suggestion feature.   Here's an example of what happens:

DBBECCBA-3E73-4D2E-8D6C-EAF210304F8D.jpeg

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus,   To answer your first question, there definitely is online etiquette (often called "netiquette") and as @Kachina624 said it's really nothing more than simple courtesy.   

The problem I've seen is that sometimes people mock anyone who brings up "netiquette" and also they act as though we can "check our manners at the login page" when we post online -- especially when we're anonymous.

Regarding your second question -- I've never thought anyone is obligated to answer each post, or that they have to continue to return to a thread if others decide to carry on the conversation longer than the OP intended.   However,  I feel it's thoughtful to add hearts to responses and at least return once or twice to a thread to acknowledge those who took the time and made the effort to respond.   

If we want courtesy given to us, and if we practice it toward others, in our "real" face-to-face life, it's befitting to do the same online even if our actual name isn't attached to our posts.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

It's etiquette to not USE CAP'S regularly bc it translates to shouting. Despite many advising repeat offenders,  some choose to ignore the advise/request and continue to break etiquette. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

And then there are the posters who are good at starting threads knowing the subject will get people fired up and then purposely disappear, only posting again if the conversation isn’t contentious enough. 

@SunValley  Oh wow is that true! It burns me up. After I see a few threads by the same poster doing that, I just skip over them. 

@Shanus and @SunValley,   Your comments reminded me of one of the posting policies I saw on a forum not long ago:

"Start a discussion, not a fire."

Respected Contributor

Pls don't do this, unless you have more significant info to share.  Thanking and acknowledging just gums the thread up.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

i try to check back for about a day - i do use hearts when i agree or appreciate a response. i do not heart when i feel snark or an attempt to hijack my thread.

Esteemed Contributor

If I start a thread, I will read every single response till the thread is dead - but I don't comment on every response because that just adds more responses.  Totally unnecessary.  I'll type a general "thank you" and mention one or two posters, maybe.

I appreciate when the OP "hearts" responses so we know they were read, but commenting on each response is overkill.   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Shanus,   To answer your first question, there definitely is online etiquette (often called "netiquette") and as @Kachina624 said it's really nothing more than simple courtesy.   

The problem I've seen is that sometimes people mock anyone who brings up "netiquette" and also they act as though we can "check our manners at the login page" when we post online -- especially when we're anonymous.

Regarding your second question -- I've never thought anyone is obligated to answer each post, or that they have to continue to return to a thread if others decide to carry on the conversation longer than the OP intended.   However,  I feel it's thoughtful to add hearts to responses and at least return once or twice to a thread to acknowledge those who took the time and made the effort to respond.   

If we want courtesy given to us, and if we practice it toward others, in our "real" face-to-face life, it's befitting to do the same online even if our actual name isn't attached to our posts.

@dooBdoo@  Thank you for this helpful info. If I begin a thread, I check back and ❤️ and all helpful replies, @Shanus replies often get a personal response. 

@When I check my notifications, any other threads that mention @Shanus, I also try to check. Yes, it takes extra time to do this, but did posters take the time to reply to me on my thread or direct a post to me on another’s thread. 

I assume, that’s part of the responsibility and courtesy of being on these forums. I’m not on FB or participate in other online discussions, so this is my only experience.

However, if my thread goes awry, lasts for weeks after the original OP or I’ve already thanked everyone for their replies (hinting that no more replies are necessary), I may forget to return and check it.