Honored Contributor

Re: I work at Walmart - May 3rd Update

First of all -- Thank you @Libra2 for continuing to be "essential" during this time...hugs.

Our news reported today that in store shopping is going to be a thing of the past -- they reported stores have said they have 70% less people in store but online shopping is up 135%.  This is probably true -- the people I see mostly have their phones and are shopping I assume they are the Instacart, Shipt and other shopping services. 

I normally shop mid-afternoon at our local "Neighborhood WM".  Of course, it's mostly food and a few aisles of pet food, paper products, etc. (I'm sure you know).

I know most of the employees and always thank them-- they are all so helpful.

tomorrow I need to go to Super WM.  Last time 3 weeks ago, store was not crowded actually it was pretty empty.  I was in and out in 20 minutes.  Of course, I wear a mask to protect myself (and others) and always have my wipes ready.

Stay safe & healthy!

Honored Contributor

We were in Walmart today-first time since the "stay at home" stuff. I thought it was the best. Clean,shelves were neat,very little gone from the shelves and we were allowed to buy stuff. As you may know our Gov. has extended our stay at home stuff so things are not so great here in Michigan.

Honored Contributor

@Tribesters wrote:

@Libra2 

Stay safe!

Do you think the one-way aisles are working? I think I'm the only person that actually follows them. I've gone down aisles where I don't even want anything just so I can enter the next aisle the right way. Then 3 people come at me from the wrong direction. Very frustrating! At first I thought maybe they didn't see the one-way? But it's been 2-3 weeks & they're still going the wrong way. Thank goodness for grocery pick-up! I'm only going inside for emergencies!

Tribefan I am one of those people.  I was with one of my kids and he I was going the wrong way. I said what are you talking about, omg he pointed to the arrow I had not seen it at all I guess I thought everything on the floor was a marker for 6 feet.  Wow i felt "not smart" lol I now look down and follow the arrows.  I could not believe I had not noticed them.  I always get a couple things and leave quickly I don't even get a cart.

Honored Contributor

@Libra2  We are definitely living in scary times.  Stay safe and always wear your mask and gloves and don't get too close to customers. And, then we have these idiots protesting to open their state and beaches, etc.  Take good care of yourself and thanks for the update.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Libra2 thank you so much for your update.  We were worried about you.  Glad you are still safe and healthy. In my first post you will see I had not noticed the arrows.  I follow them nowSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Libra2 

Thanks for the update and please take care of yourself and stay safe!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

Some people would like to think it's going to be a thing of the past. It will not be we will be back stronger than ever. And pretty soon everybody will understand the true story of this virus

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting how things are different depending on where we live.  Around here the temporary Walmart workers that were hired have been told they are no longer needed.  We went this evening and it wasn't crowded at all.  We had our pick of cash registers for self checkout.  I saw the arrows on the floor for one-way, but a lot of the aisles didn't have any people in them.  I love shopping within an hour before closing because it's not crowded at all.  I was able to pick up everything I wanted from my shopping list.

Most of the Walmart employees around here wear their masks around their necks hanging below the chin.  At least half of the customers don't wear masks either.  

Valued Contributor

glad to hear you are ok and you don't work at the Walmart that closed down last week. Went to the other Wal-Mart across the street from Target to pick up a few food items over the weekend and disappointed at the price gouging especially a gallon of milk was over 4.00 a gallon and same with the meat prices being over priced. Decided to go to BJ'S down the street where the milk was only 2.50 and the meat was better quality. Keep the faith things will get better eventually.

Super Contributor

@Libra2 wrote:

Hi, I worked today 7 to 4. This was the hardest day so far in my 12 years with Walmart.

We had one of the stores within 7 miles of ours close because 81 of their employees had the virus. Their customers are now shopping in our store. We are so short of employees because they are to scared to come to work.

All day today I was solving problems at the self checkout and ringing out customers in a regular register. Most customers are only coming in to buy items they need for a month. The toy department has run out of puzzles and many board games and coloring books. Those at home are trying to keep their kids busy. And we are selling lots of bikes.

I don't see to much hoarding now, most customers are buying food. I did help garden

Customers ring out mulch, potting soil and flowers. Even lawn mowers!

I had a hot forehead and started to get sweaty, so I had a manager check my temperature and it was ok. I just wish everyone would wear a mask in the store. That is how so many employees are getting the virus. We wear masks and gloves, which is hard to do for 8 hours a day.

We also now have one-way arrows in all isles to help everyone stay 6 feet away from each other. Our store is open 7a.m. to 8:30 pm. So getting there when the store opens is the best time to shop for what you need.

Stay safe everyone.

HOORAY YOU'RE BACK!

I just bumped up my first “Where’s Libra2” thread, then I saw your 

thread here.

What I’ve noticed is, that after one has tapped the keyboard thingy, there’s no sanitizer to clean your hands available. 

I don’t carry a purse, but will now make sure to carry a trial size of Purell that I happened to have (way prior to virus).

Do you get a fresh mask daily?

I wear a handmade one that someone gave me, and then I hand wash and hang it to dry overnight.

The “official” blue/white hospital disposable masks seem hotter to me.

So glad you’re posting again....please keep us posted!,