Esteemed Contributor

Re: I've Never Seen This Shipping Excuse Before

About two years ago I ordered something from Amazon.

A few days later, I got an email from them saying that they were sorry for the delay, but that my package had accidentally been mis-directed to Seattle! *lol* Woman LOL

I live in California.

I had to laugh.

I bet that's what happened with your package, @ChouChou. It just accidentally got put on the wrong truck.

It could have been a machine that mis-read the bar code on the box, and an automatic arm flipped it on to the wron belt, or didn't catch it.

Here's a Youtube video of UPS's biggest hub WorldPort, and how packages are sorted.

It's only 2 minutes and 41 seconds long.

https://youtu.be/l0-ukGIwcH8 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Frequent Contributor

I'm amazed at how anything is getting anywhere...there is just so much volume with online shopping breaking records this year. I mailed a package USPS priority to my neice in Arizona ( I'm in Florida)  and I put Road instead of Avenue (goof totally my fault) and the package was returned to me. It was a small package and it came back incredibly fast and in great condition. I remailed it with the correct address and was just so thankful it wasn't lost. All of our delivery people are working so hard to get us our stuff. 

Esteemed Contributor

Each shipper is using Seasonal help.....Any job that I had over the years that hired Christmas help we had problems. They know it is only for a few weeks and don't really care as long as it was packed up and on A truck...

Esteemed Contributor

I just saw that for a package I was waiting on. It was not a Q package. 

Esteemed Contributor

Recently I was waiting for the USPS to deliver a package.   When I tried tracking the package it stated something to the effect of "Delivery Attempted.  Animal Interference."  What?!?!?  We don't have any animals!  Neither do any of our neighbors.  I knew it wasn't our regular mailman because he showed up on our Blink delivering our mail that particular day.  Our regular mailman is wonderful.  My husband went to the PO to pick up the package the following day.  The next time I saw our mailman I asked him what happened.  He explained that the package arrived after he had left for his regular route.  So the package was given to someone else. .... who didn't feel like making a delivery outside his route .   So he just made up any excuse to not deliver it!!!  Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

Yes.  I've seen some pretty funny excuses for delay.  I just laugh it off because I am amazed at how quickly the majority of my packages are delivered by ALL methods with few mistakes.  I do a lot of online shopping and none of what I order is something I need right away, but I do appreciate the tracking info.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChouChou - I must admit to ordering a LOT of things online; at this point, the UPS driver is really just my friendly neighbor who stops by a couple of times a week.  Smiley Wink  As a result of receiving quite a few packages over the years, I've seen that explanation many times, and as other posters have mentioned, it happens far more frequently during the holidays. I've always gotten my package within a day or two, so hopefully yours will show up soon.

My "favorite" encounter with crazy explanations for UPS delays was with a set of curtains ordered through Amazon. It had six different errors along the way, all of which seemed completely fake since the package quickly made it to the hub one state away but then didn't move for five days, yet each day a new apology was posted in the tracking details, from severe weather (in June) to equipment breakdowns to mis-sorting to a late truck arrival and more. Fortunately, I wasn't in a huge hurry to get the curtains, so it was all kind of amusing...

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I've had it happen once on a package misdirected by the post office.  The funny thing with them is, they didn't put the real reason my item wasn't delivered on time (after saying "Out for delivery").  They said I wasn't home to sign for it!!!

Wrong - I was home all day and the item didn't require a signature.  I actually went to the local post office and asked what was going on.  She admitted that she'd spoken to the drivers and found they'd loaded it on the wrong van.

I said "So why on earth did they lie and say I wasn't home to sign for it?"  Her response?  "Well, they have to put something, so they chose that."

In other words, they didn't want to admit it was their fault.  At least UPS is admitting their error.

@Venezia this is true. I checked status of a QVC package shipped though the post office and it said delivery attempted, notice left. I have the Ring doorbell so I know delivery wasn't attempted and no notice was left when I returned home. I went to the post office the next day and told the manager this. I received a phone call the next evening as was told the carrier delivered my package to the wrong house. I asked why did they lie and say they attempted delivery she said they are required to put something in the system. I said so they just blatantly lie and she said yes. They were able t otrack my package down and I received it the following evening.

Honored Contributor

I think the reason these packages are traveling around the country is mis-read barcodes by the scanners.  

Honored Contributor

@DJs mom- I'd rather they just were honest.  We all make mistakes, but there's no need to lie about it.  I was worried about where they tried to deliver my package, since I knew I was home.  I honestly thought they'd tried to deliver it to someone else.

Another time, they did.  I'm in a rural area and thank goodness people are honest.  I was expecting a package and checked.  It said "delivered".  Well, no, it wasn't.  I hadn't received anything; nothing on my doorstep, nothing in my mailbox at 5:30 (they close at 4:15).  It bugged me, so I ended up walking down my long, dark drive at 10:30 at night to check and there was my package; all on its own in the mailbox.

I'm certain they put it in the wrong box and some kind neighbor put it in mine.  The post office sure didn't deliver it late at night!  Thankfully though, these instances are rare.