Honored Contributor

Re: I understand why sales are down.....

@stevieb wrote:

Let's face it, this has been coming for some time. Both QVC and HSN have been treading water for years. I haven't been a heavy HSN viewer or shopper in some time but QVC was once a fixture, both on my 'go-to' shopping list and on my television. All that changed as a result of consistently and repeatedly poor management choices. So, what do they do? Promote those same managers to lead Qurate...

When I first started watching QVC back in the early 2000's it was a very different animal than it is now. Variety was gradually eroded in favor of narrow branding, which led to way too much repetition and deadly dull programming. Management not only failed to hold onto some of their better and ostensibly more productive hosts, but then consistently began to hire  more marginal hosts and, it would seem, provided them with 'scripts' and 'buzz phrases', which, while theoretically designed to move the goods, only served to annoy and to make the already increasingly unpleasant viewing experience even more unpleasant. 

While they were able to hold onto a core customer base for a time with these approaches, it's clear that the chickens are coming home to roost. No retail entity can keep offering the same marginal operation to customers and expect them to 'stay tuned'. Added to the simple fact that QVC has become both unpleasant and tedious, are the lack of customer incentives, high prices, costly return shipping (aka, the 'try on' fee), antiquated warehousing and order fulfillment methods leading to the glitches some are experiencing in the ordering and shipping processes, and a decline in sales isn't so hard to understand. Meanwhile, 'management', it seems, simply twiddles their collective thumbs and comes up with often ridiculous 'spin' to justify business as usual, or, as it were, lack there-of...

I also think @Foxxee makes a very valid point about the overall tone of shopping with QVC. What once was a laid back and pleasant atmosphere has become one where frenzy and frantic on-air demeanor seem to be management's desired goal... 

Some of us have been saying all this for years. Management refused to hear it and now not only is growth minimal, but sales are down somewhat significantly... Should anyone be surprised?

@stevieb 

Excellent analysis!!!  Maybe we should've sent flowers to Mikey with a card that said...."We told you so ---signed Q customers.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I totally agree about KZ--seems she is never prepared and interrupts the vendors a lot, etc.  I usually change the channel.     Another reason  or reasons sales are down is too much silliness from the hosts.  Jane T. an experienced host acts like a "kid" shouting about "FriYay", etc.    The other reasons I'll mention are high cost of shipping and items in "process" for 5 or 6 days and taking forever to get to our homes.   I don't know how Amazon does it, but now getting items the next day even if I order in the afternoon.  QVC needs a lot of improvement.

@Daysdee , 

I will agree that Jane T. is very annoying. Philosophy rep Mari Lyn was trying to describe a scent recently, and Jane kept interruping talking about her daughter. The camera then went to a different product, and that description was not ever given. Jane should know better. 

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I've been reading about this host for some time now in the forums.  Can you believe I've never seen her on QVC? 

I just went to the host page to see her photo and realized that I do know who she is.  She used to be on the morning news at a station (WCCB) in Charlotte, NC.  She did a segment called "Zell or Zilch" and posted a blog on the station's website.  Her only blog post that I read ended up as a class warm-up activity in my language arts class.  Students had to read Zell's blog post and correct the punctuation and subject-verb agreement errors.  There were about ten errors!  Can't believe she ended up on Q 😂

@wildcat fan 

LOL....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SPURT...

The 'Told Ya So' dance, just for, well, you know who...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujANeiNYHU8

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Sunnyskies  I could say the same.  If when I started, QVC was like it is now, I never would have shopped here.  Was "addicted" too.

Super Contributor

Yes, Daysdee, and others,I feel your pain — I felt like screaming if I heard it one more time but when David was shouting it out in his “h———y dance” over and over and over and over (well, you know) I couldn’t find the remote fast enough to shut that down.  

No wonder Jill is leaving!!  I am, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

A few comments referenced QVC targeting youth.  Somewhere on the internet there's a tape of CEO Mike George speaking to a group of business people.  

"QVC will be targeting youth.  Youth is where it's at."

I'm not at all sensitive or insulted very easily, but at the time I remembered all the money I had spent at QVC and thinking..."How insulting!"  Essentially saying, "We don't want over 35 y/o shoppers buying from us anymore...you're too old!"  To think, the many older shoppers keeping QVC afloat!  What's crazy, millenials aren't the ones who have the money.  

Imagine Dillards, Macy's, Nordstrom, Boscov's, JC Penney, and others saying the same thing!  They'd go out of business!  

I haven't looked at QVC the same way since I watched that tape.  

Not even to mention @Foxxee that the man is utterly delusional if he thinks younger shoppers are going to be flocking to either his stale on-air operation or his consistently glitchy on-line platforms... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

A few comments referenced QVC targeting youth.  Somewhere on the internet there's a tape of CEO Mike George speaking to a group of business people.  

"QVC will be targeting youth.  Youth is where it's at."

I'm not at all sensitive or insulted very easily, but at the time I remembered all the money I had spent at QVC and thinking..."How insulting!"  Essentially saying, "We don't want over 35 y/o shoppers buying from us anymore...you're too old!"  To think, the many older shoppers keeping QVC afloat!  What's crazy, millenials aren't the ones who have the money.  

Imagine Dillards, Macy's, Nordstrom, Boscov's, JC Penney, and others saying the same thing!  They'd go out of business!  

I haven't looked at QVC the same way since I watched that tape.  

Not even to mention @Foxxee that the man is utterly delusional if he thinks younger shoppers are going to be flocking to either his stale on-air operation or his consistently glitchy on-line platforms... 

I call it the "bimbo factor." Apparently some hosts are intended to attract the younger demographic, by behaving in a certain manner. This is a waste of time b/c Millenials won't be watching regardless. These hosts are an instant channel-changer for me.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

@SPURT  Connecting with viewers on social media is completely different from a host sharing their life on national TV. Difficult for me to believe QVC wants their hosts to "connect" with viewers via social media or share their private lives while on live TV. It hasn't been that long ago that LR was stalked for years (repeatedly) and ended up in Court several times against the offender(s). That was a nightmare for her safety and QVC's legal teams. 

Personally, I think it's a dangerous idea for any host. The hosts who keep their private lives private are the hosts who remain respected and free of gossip. Those who share their private lives are those who are talked about in these forums.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SPURT  You'll find Kristine Zell's job history listed on Facebook. She has three different listings. I believe the one with her job history is under Kristine Marie. She hasn't been in any position for a ten period of time. She's been job-hopping.

ETA: As I've mentioned before, she met her husband in Cedar Rapids, Iowa . . . "and the rest is history" after she told the complete love story on air.