Trusted Contributor

Re: I understand why sales are down.....

Take the Amazon template and use it at the Q to attract younger shoppers.  This morning I looked at an Ottlite on HSN and now I am going to Amazon to see if it is cheaper.  If it is, Amazon gets the sale, even if HSN offers installment payments.  But I honestly don't like the senior hosts being sent over to Q2 to the detriment of the main channel.  I am not going to watch my phone.  I simply won't do it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daysdee wrote:

@BirkiLady  I am also so tired of hearing about Oprah--"she loves this"; "it is the favorite of a certain person -name starts with O", etc.   When I hear that I definitely don't want to buy so I change the channel.  I am certainly not in her financial category.    Can't the hosts just state the good points of the product?    Also, I don't go for "fads" or copy people.

@Daysdee 

Im also tired of hearing about Oprah, anything to do with celebities, and California styles...instead of making me want to head to my APP to make a purchase...it makes me head quickly for my remote....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

I just saw some of a 2 hour repeat Clarks show,with Christine Zell.It had been on the night before at ,I think she said 3am.I couldn"t believe how,in the short time I watched,how many mistakes she made and they were corrected by the vender.If I were part ofthe management,I would be embarased,that she was representing QVC.What a mess!!When someone makes that many errors,in a presentation,it makes you think they have no interest in their job!!

Respected Contributor

@SPURT 

@Daysdee

Couldn't agree more!  I enjoyed the Oprah show way back when, but at this point I really don't care what she likes or doesn't like.  Yawn. 

Trusted Contributor

This morning I heard an overnight host correct a vendor on how she pronounced a word.  The vendor was correct, but the host - Terri Conn - didn't let it go.  Whatever happened to good manners?  Even if the vendor was wrong, the host should have moved on.  This would never have happened when the senior hosts were trained and just starting out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SashaMatthews wrote:

This morning I heard an overnight host correct a vendor on how she pronounced a word.  The vendor was correct, but the host - Terri Conn - didn't let it go.  Whatever happened to good manners?  Even if the vendor was wrong, the host should have moved on.  This would never have happened when the senior hosts were trained and just starting out.

@SashaMatthews 

That is rude!

Sharon Faetsch did that to Phil Katz on air....(the guy that presented theJaqueline Kennedy Jewelry line)...and he fired back and gave a correction to what she had said....BRAVO Phil!....I thought that was rude of Sharon.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Occasional Contributor

I am so bored with the endless shoe and handbag shoes. They go on for hours. Bring in some different products!!

Honored Contributor

@mosky wrote:

I just saw some of a 2 hour repeat Clarks show,with Christine Zell.It had been on the night before at ,I think she said 3am.I couldn"t believe how,in the short time I watched,how many mistakes she made and they were corrected by the vender.If I were part ofthe management,I would be embarased,that she was representing QVC.What a mess!!When someone makes that many errors,in a presentation,it makes you think they have no interest in their job!!

@mosky 

That's what I've noticed about her presentations too..She's had a 10 year career in radio and TV broadcasting, and has been with QVC coming up on 2yrs...she went through extensive training, and with Mary Beth as her mentor....And hosts hired AFTER her have passed her in presentation performance......

My sister is looking to redo her bedroom and wanted my thoughts on a quilt QVC had...the video was with Kristine Zell...and once again she wouldn't let the vendor complete his sentence, kept interrupting him...And I've said before and keep seeing it---she is ill prepared regarding the details on the products, and makes lots of mistakes...

She seems to have a memorized a script on what she is going to say instead of naturally interacting with the vendor, and by God she's sticking to her script...Her presentations have me turning the channel...which means no sales for QVC (and with QVC's 4% sales decline, QVC needs all the viewers and sales they can get)..I'm not being mean just stating what I'm seeing as a customer....Some people just aren't cut out for certain jobs...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

“I understand why sales are down....”

Unless you’re one of the ‘suits’ of this corporation making projected decisions, we don’t have a clue why the things are they way they are.

There’s a saying...’defense wins championships’...meaning, the lesser known, less ‘flashy’ part of the team is the most important.  Just like business...bringing IN money is important but KEEPING IT is more important.  So if it means saving the same amount of money by directing energy to an on-air issue or fixing a back office issue...back office will win every time. That’s the foundation of the company which will have lasting effects. 

And...at the end of the day, if the Shareholders are happy,

it doesn’t matter what we think about the hosts. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

“I understand why sales are down....”

Unless you’re one of the ‘suits’ of this corporation making projected decisions, we don’t have a clue why the things are they way they are.

There’s a saying...’defense wins championships’...meaning, the lesser known, less ‘flashy’ part of the team is the most important.  Just like business...bringing IN money is important but KEEPING IT is more important.  So if it means saving the same amount of money by directing energy to an on-air issue or fixing a back office issue...back office will win every time. That’s the foundation of the company which will have lasting effects. 

And...at the end of the day, if the Shareholders are happy,

it doesn’t matter what we think about the hosts. 

@sidsmom 

Your welcome to write your own thread and talk about how wonderful QVC is, how wonderful all the hosts are, how great the prices are..and cheer, cheer, cheer for them ...But many of us are tired being scolded, chastied, and reprimanded with mantras like "don't like it don't watch" (looks like we didnt watch) and "what they are doing must be working for them"(looks like its not)....And everywhere I shopped Saturday, I was asked to complete a survey so a lot of companies like to know what customers think...and QVC's brass would be wise to do it too....

pomgirls.gif

With sales steadily declining and in last quarter declining 4% stockholders are NOT happy....

Qurate Retail, Inc. Series B Common Stock (QRTE) Quote & Summary Data

QRTE
$13.1998

DOWN 5.04%
*Delayed - data as of May 24, 2019  -  

If you listen to the press conference recording on the quarterly financial report, and read the details, and also read interviews with QVC's EXEcs in the financial journals, plus the comments that come up over and over again from various shoppers on the Forum, it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure it out....

And at the end of the day.... the less customers that watch = less customers buying = declines in sales

From Mike George himself....

Our sales declined in the quarter, a strong growth in our off-air business wasn't sufficient to offset lower sales of on-air items. Now, just a reminder on some definitions. On-air sales are sales of products that appear on the QxH TV network that calendar day, regardless of whether the customer ordered the product over the phone, on our app or through our website. And on-air sales are about two-thirds of total sales.

Off-air sales are sales of products that did not appear on a QxH network that day. And they're about a third of sales, income largely of course through our digital platforms. There is a subset of off-air sales called, digital-only sales. Those are sales of products that have never appeared on-air, and they represent about 5% of total sales in just under 15% of off-air sales.

Our declining trend in the on-air sales was driven by several categories. The seasonal categories we feature in Q1, in particular gardening and fitness underperformed. Our food and cookware sales slowed significantly.

Finally, our beauty business, which has been a strong source of growth over many years declined as sales slowed for some of our most popular brands at QVC.

Given the size of the decline and the size of QVC, it's safe to infer that we definitely saw sales erosion at the QVC, as part of that story, and kind of concentrated in those -- the on-air slowdown that I referenced in a few key categories.