Esteemed Contributor

Re: I understand why sales are down.....

@wildcat fan wrote:

I've been reading about this host for some time now in the forums.  Can you believe I've never seen her on QVC? 

I just went to the host page to see her photo and realized that I do know who she is.  She used to be on the morning news at a station (WCCB) in Charlotte, NC.  She did a segment called "Zell or Zilch" and posted a blog on the station's website.  Her only blog post that I read ended up as a class warm-up activity in my language arts class.  Students had to read Zell's blog post and correct the punctuation and subject-verb agreement errors.  There were about ten errors!  Can't believe she ended up on Q πŸ˜‚

@wildcat fan  Yes, there is another poster who also is from that area and was also familar with her kind of work. (That's the best way I'm able to word it.)  The poster wasn't sorry to see Kristine leave the local TV station, but was surprised when she appeared on QVC!! 

ROFLing that you've just put the pieces together. Thanks for sharing your great story. The humor of your situation turned it into a learning experience for students! You handled it extremely well. HIGH FIVE!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@SPURT  Connecting with viewers on social media is completely different from a host sharing their life on national TV. Difficult for me to believe QVC wants their hosts to "connect" with viewers via social media or share their private lives while on live TV. It hasn't been that long ago that LR was stalked for years (repeatedly) and ended up in Court several times against the offender(s). That was a nightmare for her safety and QVC's legal teams. 

Personally, I think it's a dangerous idea for any host. The hosts who keep their private lives private are the hosts who remain respected and free of gossip. Those who share their private lives are those who are talked about in these forums.   

@BirkiLady 

Sadly some hosts reveal too much BOTH on the air AND social media....

The hosts still beg viewers on their Facebook Page.  Now some are more cautious and prudent and use good sense on what they post...most just post info about upcoming shows or QVC products, pet photos, vacation photos etc...BUT just recently a host, SK, gave a detailed report when her daughter was sick with a high fever and had a seizure...TMI...why mention this on Facebook at all...Or another gives details about her daughter's personal life and career....And several others do reports about their kids too....Some have gotten into dramas because of their Facebook comments, some must like the attention...

I remember one show where one of Mary D's biggest fans on her Facebook Page, known well by Mary, did a live video chat on air on her ITKWM Show....so some frequent Facebook participants do seem to develop a relationship with hosts....and look at vendor Rep, Angel, with QF....she knows her regulars.... 

Some learned from LR's experience, and unfortunately some haven't.........Some are just naive about social media.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@SPURT  You'll find Kristine Zell's job history listed on Facebook. She has three different listings. I believe the one with her job history is under Kristine Marie. She hasn't been in any position for a ten period of time. She's been job-hopping.

ETA: As I've mentioned before, she met her husband in Cedar Rapids, Iowa . . . "and the rest is history" after she told the complete love story on air.

@BirkiLady 

I took the info on her broadcasting career from her Blog....she my not have worked at the same position/job for 10 years, but her various positions were still in the broadcasting industry.....But as you pointed out, the job hopping speaks volumes....

•  
MEET HOST - Kristine Zell
by  β€Ž06-28-2017 07:00 AM - edited

The past decade I've been in morning TV and some radio. Broadcasting has been such a rewarding career as I've been so humbled to be invited into people's homes the first part of the day, sharing a cup of coffee together, and talking about events affecting our world, our country and our communities. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@SPURT...

The 'Told Ya So' dance, just for, well, you know who...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujANeiNYHU8

@stevieb 

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†....and so much better than the "happy dance".....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have to say that I haven't actually sat and watched a QVC show in at least 13 years. Why? Because the only time I truly sat and watched was when I was nursing; especially in those mind-numbing zombie first 6 weeks when I nursed 23 hours a day and healing from a c-section (my youngest just turned 13). Sitting and watching QVC or HSN was calming, no violence and there in those early weeks. 

Oh and when in bed ill; great background noise to sleep to, lol.

Otherwise, I search for an item and then watch the video (if necessary). I say this because the host means nothing to me. In fact, I do my best to tune them out and listen to the vendor instead. 

Regarding KZ: she has been complained about since Day 1. When on with Louis from Linea, she was HORRIBLE. To the point her facebook page was slammed with negative feedback. She cried, she boo hoo'd, "NOBODY UNDERSTANDS HOW HARD IT IS" ******. Then *POOF* it all went away from her facebook page. People ranted here...and it's never stopped.

Yet, she is STILL employed at QVC. In my world, if someone received that much negative feedback, her/his job would no longer exist. Buh-bye! But not KZ.  This tells me that someone or someones up above REALLY like her. REALLY LIKE HER. Wonder why? I won't comment on THAT but she's not going anywhere. Nope. Not as long as her buddies hold their power position.

QVC and HSN are same day, same stuff. Boring. Tedious. Old. The deals aren't great that often. I no longer buy JAI because nothing thrills me with his stuff. Issac hasn't had great cashmere items in awhile. Those were the 2 brands I spent my money on. Oh, and Valerie Home. But there's nothing for me as of now. And HSN looks like a freaking Kmart clearance site. Too many other, nicer places to shop for me to spend my money....so I do, lol.

Trusted Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

A few comments referenced QVC targeting youth.  Somewhere on the internet there's a tape of CEO Mike George speaking to a group of business people.  

"QVC will be targeting youth.  Youth is where it's at."

I'm not at all sensitive or insulted very easily, but at the time I remembered all the money I had spent at QVC and thinking..."How insulting!"  Essentially saying, "We don't want over 35 y/o shoppers buying from us anymore...you're too old!"  To think, the many older shoppers keeping QVC afloat!  What's crazy, millenials aren't the ones who have the money.  

Imagine Dillards, Macy's, Nordstrom, Boscov's, JC Penney, and others saying the same thing!  They'd go out of business!  

I haven't looked at QVC the same way since I watched that tape.  

@Foxxee  They can have their youth and I’ll take my $$$ elsewhere. Win! Win,

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ketra wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

A few comments referenced QVC targeting youth.  Somewhere on the internet there's a tape of CEO Mike George speaking to a group of business people.  

I'm not at all sensitive or insulted very easily, but at the time I remembered all the money I had spent at QVC and thinking..."How insulting!"  Essentially saying, "We don't want over 35 y/o shoppers buying from us anymore...you're too old!"  To think, the many older shoppers keeping QVC afloat!  What's crazy, millenials aren't the ones who have the money.  

Imagine Dillards, Macy's, Nordstrom, Boscov's, JC Penney, and others saying the same thing!  They'd go out of business!  

"Targeting youth" is exactly what EVERY retailor does. Perid. Sorry it hurts anyone's feelings, but QVC's current demographic is heading toward a fixed income and dying. The problem is that they haven't established any feasible means to attract young customers. Relying on Facebook--which young people don't even use anymore--isn't going to get it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ballinmom wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

"Targeting youth" is exactly what EVERY retailor does. Perid. Sorry it hurts anyone's feelings, but QVC's current demographic is heading toward a fixed income and dying. The problem is that they haven't established any feasible means to attract young customers. Relying on Facebook--which young people don't even use anymore--isn't going to get it.

@ballinmom 

And QVC's product mix isn't going to attract younger shoppers either....Does QVC think they going to buy creams to remove wrinkles, expensive vacuums, expensive mixers and cookware, outdated electronics, very expensive jewelry????? Most live in apartments, home sales are down for this age group, so that means gardening items and power washers are out...

And according to some retail publications....the popular place for millenials to purchase clothes, handbags, and shoes, is TJMaxx...why they even go to the actual B&M stores according to foot traffic reports.....So I can't see them spending $50 for a t-shirt or over $100 for a pair of jeans at QVC.....Millenials aren't into expensive handbags as past younger generations....

And QVC can't aford to alieniate and let go of their current money makers---the empty nesters or the established career demographic who do have disposable cash to spend....But as you pointed out this group's needs are changing, and as time goes by they will not need or want as much merchandise ....So QVC is in a real catch 22 situation....and add in that millenials are not watching traditional TV and viewing alternatives for entertainment.....It makes it more critical for QVC to listen to feedback from their customers....

Trusted Contributor

Everyone wants the young demographic dollars and QVC can make all the changes they want, but they're just not going to attract the number of younger shoppers they're seeking IMO. While I'm sure some milennials shop QVC, the majority of them aren't. And I doubt they're buying in those South Beach/Beverly Hills/Hamptons boutiques the hosts and vendors keep mentioning either, especially if they're not celebrities. They're shopping at Amazon, Forever 21, Target, Kohl's, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Old Navy, and similar stores/websites. 

There are also a lot of fashion influencers who post their online clothing "hauls" where they show what they ordered and model it. Most of the items are bought online from websites that aren't major retailers, or the ones I mentioned above. There's still a stigma with shopping channels and them only catering to much older, lonely women even though we on the boards know that's not true.

And the name dropping of certain celebrities probably doesn't help either because the ones they do keep talking about I assume aren't ones millennials don't follow or don't care about. I mean, I'm 43---not in my golden years but not super young--- and I'm pretty much over hosts talking about Oprah loving this and that or "this is what Amal Clooney would be wearing in Italy." I have no ill-will towards those two ladies, but they really aren't the epitome of hot, current fashion trends these days.

QVC will always be several steps behind the retail industry---they should really cater to and grow the base they already have, especially with the increasing price points and slower shipping times. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ballinmom wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@ballinmom It doesn’t hurt my feelings, I was just stating facts. Some of us on β€œfixed incomes” spend more a month than you may imagine. Also, as far as us dying, we are all dying. You could be hit by a bus tomorrow.