Trusted Contributor

I must be related to the Grinch!

Yes, I decorate for Christmas, but within reason.  I just don't want to cram my home with all those decorations!   They can have the same effect as clutter, to the point I don't even enjoy a home.  I also admit to being a tad lazy, I don't want to have to dust all stuff during the season.  There's enough to keep me busy during the holidays, I don't need to add extra work to my plate.  Like I said, I do decorate, but just a few special items.  My home looks and feels festive when you enter, and I don't add work to a busy season I'd rather enjoy than stress over.  For me, the season is a time to enjoy friends, and family.  I don't need an overload of trinkets to enjoy friends and family.

Frequent Contributor

Re: I must be related to the Grinch!

I totally agree with you.  I love decorating but I keep it simple.  Not only do I hate dusting, I hate having to pack up a bunch of things at the end of the season.  Less is more.

It's the little things.
Esteemed Contributor

I gave away all my decorations two years ago, the first year of no decorating was hard. I missed it. This past year was liberating, I didn't have to take it all down and put away. The worse part in my opinion. 

But when you have kids, grandkids it's a little harder not to decorate I don't have that. 

Regular Contributor

I think I just found out I am related to the Grinch.  The older I get the less stuff I want and the less i put out.  After Christmas 2015 I threw my Christmas tree out because it was over 10 years old, some branches were broken and just hung limply and half the lights didn't light.  Didn't have to money to buy a new one last year so I just put up a 3' tree that I had with miniature ornaments.  I really liked it and plan to do the same again.  I kind of missed my 6 foot tree but after awhile I got over it.  Plan to do the same again this year.  Definitely a lot less work.

Respected Contributor

I agree with you also.

I love Christmas.  I love decorating my whole house for Christmas.  I use bigger pieces and not a lot of little things all over every surface. 

I have a friend who literally puts something or 3 or 5 or 7 somethings on every surface of her home.  There's just so much - it's overwhelming.  She loves it and that's all that matters. 

Trusted Contributor

@Lainey59,  The last 3-4 years my parents were alive, getting the tree out of the attic and putting it up was just too difficult for them.  We didn't live close enough to get there in time to do it for them.  My mother put a lovely Christmas table scarf on the coffee table and sat a big beautiful poinsettia on it.  We put our presents under the coffee table.  The family didn't miss the tree one bit.  We were just thankful to be able to spend the holiday with my parents, and that they had a holiday they could enjoy, too.  Starting the second year of this new tradition, my niece would bring a little ornament to hang on the poinsettia.  The rest of the family smiled at this, and would look forward to her addition.  Sometimes it's just best to embrace changes and roll with them.  After all, there's a reason for the season, and it's not the tree.

Respected Contributor

Last year was the first year in my life that I did not have a Christmas Tree.  Due to a surgery it was not possible.  I did a small amount of decorating, but I really missed my tree.  We did do a small table-top tree at the last minute, but it is not the same.  Hopefully things will be better this year and the Christmas decorating will go on as usual, tree and all.  I don't over-decorate any more.  Went from two trees down to one several years ago and don't decorate outside anymore except for wreath.  I had offers of help, but I have to decorate my own tree (I'm picky and making it right is half the fun).  One thing I do have to say I sure didn't miss putting everything away after Christmas!

As we age, it gets harder to get things out of storage and the tree up so I don't want to miss any more years that it is still do-able.

Respected Contributor

I do like to decorate. But, I keep it pretty simple. Not a lot of things... not into a lot of things around the house. A tree. A wreath. And , usually a few additional candles here and there - to add a little more festive lighting.  Good to go! 

I do put up lights outside about about every other year - gotta catch me early on that one though like RIGHT  after Halloween or it just does get done... 🤗!! 

I definitely do not decorate as much as I once did - maybe more for the kids than for me at the time.  And, I really hate packing it all back up that is another reason for sure - not nearly as much fun as taking it all out!!

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I do decorate but a lot less than I did years ago.  Still do the tree, mantle, wreath outside and Christmas arrangements in main rooms.  I have donated a lot of decorations that I no longer need and I am trying not to buy more. I like to watch Valerie's shows, but don't plan to order.  Some of the items take a lot of room to store and I'm beyond that now.

Esteemed Contributor

I join you being related to the grinch.  I still decorate but simpler than I used to and enjoy it so much better.  I tossed out all the mercury glass, etc and replaced with a few good pieces,  No more cluttering up every spach with little stuff and it looks so much better,  I also discovered Pier 1