Frequent Contributor

I don't post often, but needed to speak up

I tend to read the posts and occasionally will respond.  But, I wanted to share my perspective of some of the criticism I read about the hosts.  I know that they are public figures and subject to a certain amount of scrutiny. But, who among us could stand up to the level of comments and criticism voiced in these forums? Don't like their hair? Or the clothes they are wearing? Or who they are? Then turn off the TV.  If you have the skill to post you have the skill to review the items on air and avoid exposure to the host. And, behind every person on the screen is a real human with real feelings.  I guess I believe in the old adage "if you can't say anything nice...don't say anything".  I have read great kindness expressed toward many on this board, I just wish that it would also extend to the staff and hosts.  I would personally wither at some of the commentary.  

Thank you for taking the time to read my perspective.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: I don't post often, but needed to speak up

[ Edited ]

@grzbela wrote:

I tend to read the posts and occasionally will respond.  But, I wanted to share my perspective of some of the criticism I read about the hosts.  I know that they are public figures and subject to a certain amount of scrutiny. But, who among us could stand up to the level of comments and criticism voiced in these forums? Don't like their hair? Or the clothes they are wearing? Or who they are? Then turn off the TV.  If you have the skill to post you have the skill to review the items on air and avoid exposure to the host. And, behind every person on the screen is a real human with real feelings.  I guess I believe in the old adage "if you can't say anything nice...don't say anything".  I have read great kindness expressed toward many on this board, I just wish that it would also extend to the staff and hosts.  I would personally wither at some of the commentary.  

Thank you for taking the time to read my perspective.  Heart

@grzbela      "Freedom of Speech" is the excuse some people use for making "nasty" (even cruel) comments.     However, that is not allowed by the rules of these boards.    If you will notice, posts that attack the hosts and guests are  taken down by the moderators.   

You may also notify the moderators yourself, if you see an offensive post.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@grzbela I appreciate your post. I often wonder how people who say unkind things about others would feel if the same were said about them. I don't think some people realize how damaging it can be and it becomes an exciting "high" for them and a way to pass time.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My comment about how one would feel about speaking on the Q.

My boys: One was a debate judge has a degree in Theater. He likes to speak before audiences. The other boy said a unique thing. When asked about doing an oral or written presentation-the oral presentation : "No prob.,Mom."

Here's my point;For some peeps speaking before crowds is fun(that's right,fun). The unkind remarks are just thrown over the shoulder.

I think it was Harry Truman who said,"If you can't stand the heat,get outta the kitchen".

Honored Contributor

Some random thoughts.

Most people mean well and readers need to remember that. 

Don't confuse criticism with meanness. There is a way to write a criticism without being mean. 

Don't confuse a direct writing style with being mean. Being direct is not the same as mean.

Some mush everything up and that's ok too.

Some comments sound like they're written by stereotypical mean girls.

Some people look for reasons to be offended.

Some people read too much between the lines.

Some think their opinion is the only correct one.

Some people like to post click bait.

Just because someone says it's constructive criticism doesn't mean it is.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

My comment about how one would feel about speaking on the Q.

My boys: One was a debate judge has a degree in Theater. He likes to speak before audiences. The other boy said a unique thing. When asked about doing an oral or written presentation-the oral presentation : "No prob.,Mom."

Here's my point;For some peeps speaking before crowds is fun(that's right,fun). The unkind remarks are just thrown over the shoulder.

I think it was Harry Truman who said,"If you can't stand the heat,get outta the kitchen".

@Group 5 minus 1   ...or as another poster suggested just change the channel.

Respected Contributor

@grzbela 

thank you for this heartfelt thread

we read blatant justification for unkindness in here daily.  a bit of research will confirm what the real issue is for unkindness to others.  

my hope is they find their joy 

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Regular Contributor

@grzbela 

I like you!  And, I couldn't agree more!

Sadly - the venom released toward hosts on this site - is indicative of the pain, negativity and evil present in the hearts of those spewing the venom.  A genuine complaint on occasion is far different than the ugliness I've seen and heard in far too many posts.

I very much appreciate your positive post and I'm sure the hosts do too!  I feel sorry for those who find the need to tear people up.

Honored Contributor

This is a public forum.  I don't expect all comments to be rainbows and roses.   The moderators will take down any posts that break the rules.

Honored Contributor

I stopped watching shopping channels the day I got a computer. Watching every day made me very critical. The hosts were getting on my nerves. I kept finding fault with their style of speaking and not giving me the info I wanted.  And the callers they used to have! They really got to me. But I kept it under my hat. ONLINE! The only way to go. When it comes to insulting remarks about the hostess' looks, keep it under your hats!